Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I was just posting the link from Center City District that claims 175,000 people in Center City and 72% of those with college degrees.
Yeah, but as a supposed Philadelphian, you know what's considered Center City and what's not. If you expanded the boundaries of Center City to include big chunks of North and South Philly, that "72%" figure would drop like a rock. Explain how the whole entire area spanning from Girard to Washington would have 72% of residents with a college degree or higher when Census Tracts 16, 17 and 18 (Queen Village/Bella Vista) are at 33.4%, 36.8% and 30.3%, respectively? Just reading that statement should trigger suspicion in anybody who knows anything about Philly.

So yeah, I don't think you can just hide behind the link just because "it says so." You know better.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 04-30-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't even see how your statement was being "boosterific". The Greater Center City area can usually include places like University City or areas north of Girard Avenue depending on what boundaries are used. I guess BajanYankee was going by strict census measures or the CBD of Philly. It sort of similar to how the Chicago Loop is viewed as being all of downtown Chicago.
You never cease to contradict yourself at every turn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I agree with what you said about University City not being part of Downtown/Center City but West Philly does not extend all the way to the Airport. Southwest Philly is not part of West Philly as they are two distinct sections of the city.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...l#post24872895

My understanding of "Center City" is exactly the same as yours. Until, that is, you revise your understanding of "Center City" to "win" this argument.

Then, of course, that puts you in a weaker position against the Cali boosters when they start saying that their downtowns are denser ("Greater" Downtown supposedly L.A. packs in 175K in a footprint that's smaller than Girard to Washington, River to River). You can't then switch back to the Vine to South definition.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

My understanding of "Center City" is exactly the same as yours. Until, that is, you revise your understanding of "Center City" to "win" this argument.

Then, of course, that puts you in a weaker position against the Cali boosters when they start saying that their downtowns are denser (L.A. packs in 175K in a footprint that's smaller than Girard to Washington, River to River). You can't then switch back to the Vine to South definition.
You ...you mean that the PBS would "distort" the numbers of a favored section of their city to win an argument? I'm stunned...shocked....this has NEVER happened before..

Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You ...you mean that the PBS would "distort" the numbers of a favored section of their city to win an argument? I'm stunned...shocked....this has NEVER happened before..
Dude. What is your problem? You're annoying. All posters on here distort numbers. San Francisco. Washington DC. Anyone. It doesn't matter.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but as a supposed Philadelphian, you know what's considered Center City and what's not. If you expanded the boundaries of Center City to include big chunks of North and South Philly, that "72%" figure would drop like a rock. Explain how the whole entire area spanning from Girard to Washington would have 72% of residents with a college degree or higher when Census Tracts 16, 17 and 18 (Queen Village/Bella Vista) are at 33.4%, 36.8% and 30.3%, respectively? Just reading that statement should trigger suspicion in anybody who knows anything about Philly.

So yeah, I don't think you can just hide behind the link just because "it says so." You know better.
I honestly didn't put that much thought into it because I didn't to. It's really not that big of a deal dude. 175,000 is not that big of a stretch between Girard and Washington in a city of almost 1.6 million in the densest part of the city. 72% of residents in this area over 25 years old is not that far of a stretch either. The area has changed drastically even since the 2010 census.

If you want to do more digging then by all means go ahead, but don't start coming at me, because I just posted a link to CCD's website with the info on it, I didn't write or make up that info.

It's not that big of a deal dude.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:

Then, of course, that puts you in a weaker position against the Cali boosters when they start saying that their downtowns are denser ("Greater" Downtown supposedly L.A. packs in 175K in a footprint that's smaller than Girard to Washington, River to River). You can't then switch back to the Vine to South definition.
I never said you were wrong though. I do find it a little odd that you went through two years of my post history just to make a point.

By the way, I never switched my position on it. I was just stating how the term "Greater Center City area" can go beyond the traditional borders of what constitutes the downtown area. I'm not worried about California posters accusing me of contradicting myself.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 04-30-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 06:57 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
Wow, this thread has kind of veered off topic. Anyone have any thoughts on the idea that Cleveland is like a scaled down Philly? I really feel that these 2 cities have a lot in common, from their storied industrial eras, periods of decay, and eventual rebirth. From what I'm seeing you guys have a similar attitude towards your city, a kind of "us against the world" mentality.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Wow, this thread has kind of veered off topic. Anyone have any thoughts on the idea that Cleveland is like a scaled down Philly? I really feel that these 2 cities have a lot in common, from their storied industrial eras, periods of decay, and eventual rebirth. From what I'm seeing you guys have a similar attitude towards your city, a kind of "us against the world" mentality.
Yeah. I can see both Cleveland and Baltimore as scaled down versions of Philadelphia.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Dude. What is your problem? You're annoying. All posters on here distort numbers. San Francisco. Washington DC. Anyone. It doesn't matter.
I find the PBS cotillion annoying because of their never-ending quest to run down other cities while claiming that Philly is responsible for every noteworthy achievement accomplished under the auspices of the American flag.And, earlier in this thread, when confronted with six other US cities that may be more influential, the PBS quickly backs down, claiming that any comparison is "unfair" due to its historical "disadvantages"..

So perhaps, before you take potshots at Cleveland, you should take note of the skeletons in your own closet. And if you consider the physical condition of many of Philly's neighborhoods, you've got enough for a few thousand anatomy classes..

Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I find the PBS cotillion annoying because of their never-ending quest to run down other cities while claiming that Philly is responsible for every noteworthy achievement accomplished under the auspices of the American flag.And, earlier in this thread, when confronted with six other US cities that may be more influential, the PBS quickly backs down, claiming that any comparison is "unfair" due to its historical "disadvantages"..

So perhaps, before you take potshots at Cleveland, you should take note of the skeletons in your own closet. And if you consider the physical condition of many of Philly's neighborhoods, you've got enough for a few thousand anatomy classes..
So if Cleveland was matched up against and was losing badly to cities like Chicago, Dallas, or Boston in a city comparison thread topic, I wonder if you would be saying the same thing? Seems like you have some personal hate against Philly. Maybe it's a bit of jealously at the heart of it, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City