Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 01:51 AM

178 posts, read 146,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Unfortunately true.
Again BART is very much closer to MARTA than DC METRO by far.Really 2 are not like the other is more acurate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:01 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,944,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
So that does not raise a red flag to you or seem at best questionable?

So is Decatur included in Atlanta totals because MARTA runs through that city as it does College Park,East Point,Avondale etc.?All are separate cities in the Atlanta Metro served by the same transit system. Also what about the counties like Cobb and Gwinnett that have their own systems.
How can this conflict so differently when you look at daily and annual ridership numbers?It doesnt give an accurate view of how these systems are used.
Because there's an agenda at play here...

You aren't the first to notice, but there's definitely a history with this poster. Any and all things that cast Atlanta in a negative light are immediately latched on to.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 AM

14,689 posts, read 14,662,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I can't speak about MARTA (I've never seen it) but I lived in DC in the early '80s, and have been in SF since 1989. BART doesn't come close to Metro in quality. With a few exceptions (e.g. Georgetown), Metro rail thoroughly covers the DC area, while BART doesn't even adequately serve SF. If you live anywhere in the northwestern half of SF (Richmond district, etc.) there's no BART line anywhere nearby. The Geary Blvd corridor is served only by slow diesel buses, even though it's one of the busiest transit routes in the region. In the time I've lived here, BART has ignored SF, and expanded farther and farther into the suburbs. More recently, they've at last gotten around to matters like seismic retrofitting and replacing the old rolling stock. But still no improvements for SF.
Have you never ridden MUNI rail?

https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/...?itok=vYH70c6l

Old 09-19-2017, 06:06 AM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
MUNI rail doesn't go out to Richmond unfortunately, though there have been plans for a very long time. Also, much of MUNI is slow as molasses.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:44 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,701,356 times
Quote:
So that does not raise a red flag to you or seem at best questionable?

So is Decatur included in Atlanta totals because MARTA runs through that city as it does College Park,East Point,Avondale etc.?All are separate cities in the Atlanta Metro served by the same transit system. Also what about the counties like Cobb and Gwinnett that have their own systems.
How can this conflict so differently when you look at daily and annual ridership numbers?It doesnt give an accurate view of how these systems are used.
No, doesn't bug me. I can safely assume the cities rankings between the three wouldn't change much. Atlanta rarely ever makes it to the best cities for public transit lists anyway. A quick Google search will tell you that.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
No, doesn't bug me. I can safely assume the cities rankings between the three wouldn't change much. Atlanta rarely ever makes it to the best cities for public transit lists anyway. A quick Google search will tell you that.
Clearly.

You are absolutely right about MARTA ranking high rarely but San Francisco also does not rank high on any list either but Iudont see you focusing on that.
As I have said BART and MARTA are much closer in what they can do as far as what the systems currently are.
BART is only slightly more effective because its in a city that is compact and dense.Its system is not a hige deal better than MARTA.
So why act as if they METRO and BART are equal but MARTA is years behind when obviously you look at the total ridership numbers considering Atlanta is a much smaller city

Old 09-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Personally since I have been living in Atlanta.MARTA has been very effective for me.I live in a highrise in Midtown one block from a station.I use my car for travel outside of the city to visit family and friends.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 AM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Clearly.

You are absolutely right about MARTA ranking high rarely but San Francisco also does not rank high on any list either but Iudont see you focusing on that.
As I have said BART and MARTA are much closer in what they can do as far as what the systems currently are.
BART is only slightly more effective because its in a city that is compact and dense.Its system is not a hige deal better than MARTA.
So why act as if they METRO and BART are equal but MARTA is years behind when obviously you look at the total ridership numbers considering Atlanta is a much smaller city
It's definitely much more effective because of density, so it'd be nice if Atlanta also starts getting to that density. It's also because it connects to other mass transit systems fairly well, most notably Muni metro. The other attribute that makes it more effective is having had the funding to expand in the metro. All of these things are reasons why BART is much more effective than MARTA is and why the Bay Area's in the same tier for mass transit as other US cities that are a notch down from NYC for mass transit, but Atlanta is not.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 AM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's definitely much more effective because of density, so it'd be nice if Atlanta also starts getting to that density.
Atlanta can get denser and is doing that, but getting to SF-level density? Not happening, especially since Atlanta isn't geographically constrained like SF.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,701,356 times
Quote:
Clearly.

You are correct. Bart does fail the city of SF itself and that is where MUNI comes into play. Where Bart excels at that Marta doesn't is connecting all of the main suburbs/business districts in the East Bay with SF.

Out of the three.. DC has the best connections within the city and it's outer burbs, SF does great with connecting to it's burbs, Atlanta doesn't really do either. All three connect to Airports, DC connects to VRE, MARC, Amtrak while SF connects to CALTRAIN and Amtrak. I'd say it's safe to say considering they all came into fruition at a similar time DC is the most successful of the three with SF following then Atl.

You are also correct in assuming that I am not the biggest fan of Atl but when comparing the three systems, I think my rankings are a fair assertion of the three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City