Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: greater name recognition throughout the world?
Chicago 76 49.03%
San Francisco 79 50.97%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times

Advertisements

Spin off thread in my series of brand recognition. Winner will go up against DC and loser will go against the winner of the Boston or Miami thread.

Which city do you think has more regional, national, and international name recognition? List some things about either city that you think puts it over the top of the other in name recognition. Tourist sites, politics, companies, schools, healthcare systems, history, events, sports, anything it takes to pick one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:27 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,788 times
Uhhhh Chicago. Chicago is a global city and the third largest city in this country. It has a string economy and the Chicagoland is one of the largest employment centers in this country. Chicago is known for the Chicago Bulls(Michael Jordan), brutal winters, and great opera. San Francisco has a reputation of being America's most liberal city and the Golden Gate Bridge, unique Hilly streets, Full House, it's not LA, and the city has a European charm too it but it's no Chicago!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,506 times
You some what made a case for Chicago in regards to national name recognition I guess, but I think San Francisco takes it on the international level. To me, it has always been one of those interesting cases where 'place A' (in this case, SF) is better known than 'place B' (Chicago) on a global level than if you compared the two on a national level. Miami can be like that (but the recognition comes from 1 region mainly) and also Las Vegas to a degree. The statistics also show this to be true (for SF, Miami & LV actually when compared to Chicago) when looking at the number of travelers from oversees.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIrishRebel View Post
You some what made a case for Chicago in regards to national name recognition I guess, but I think San Francisco takes it on the international level. To me, it has always been one of those interesting cases where 'place A' (in this case, SF) is better known than 'place B' (Chicago) on a global level than if you compared the two on a national level. Miami can be like that (but the recognition comes from 1 region mainly) and also Las Vegas to a degree. The statistics also show this to be true (for SF, Miami & LV actually when compared to Chicago) when looking at the number of travelers from oversees.
I agree, all 3 of those cities are more recognizable outside of the U.S.
I'm not really seeing the point though, as name recognition doesn't make it a better city.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,832,257 times
This one I can't decide. I'd need more international feedback. With the rising prominence of the Pacific Rim I'd lean slightly to San Francisco as it also has ties to the Silicon Valley, Napa wine region, and its iconic landmarks are easily recognizable. Though Chicago is quite a bit larger with a longer history as a giant hub of transportation, industry, and commerce as reflected in its glorious skyline. This one is too much of a tossup.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
^^ Agree both would have their various strengths Not sure there is a clear cut winner

SF definately is more glamorized but not sure if that translates to name recognition

Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I can't really even vote. Chicago gets more in the business sense as well as being "American". Gangsters, the history, etc.

San Fran though is going to get more recognition in a travel and scenery sense. I'm almost say tied internationally, but for different reasons. I've been overseas almost 30 times, and I've never met anyone who hasn't heard of Chicago and at least said "skyscrapers, gangsters, michael jordan, city on lake or cold weather". In that sense though I've talked USA a lot with people in bars and NYC is ALWAYS #1, but then San Fran is mentioned a lot as a vacation destination.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Regional - Chicago. SF competes with LA.
National - Chicago
International - SF

Overall I guess Chicago (2 out of 3)

Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Regional - Chicago. SF competes with LA.
National - Chicago
International - SF

Overall I guess Chicago (2 out of 3)
This makes a lot of sense

Would also say that these two cities probably also provide one of the better impressions to folks outside of the US for US cities

SF does have an allure though internationally which makes sense on the interbnational noteriety, imagine in Asia especially and even in Europe

Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
This is a tough call really, I think they are about even. I think places like Asia SF is more well known. When it comes to Latin America they are about even. When it comes to Europe I think it's more CHicago.

I really don't think one has much more recognition than the other. In different categories they might, and even then it's just slight, but overall they are toe in toe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City