Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest Name recognition:Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 365 57.94%
Houston 265 42.06%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,803,733 times

Advertisements

What city a has both a greater national and international name recognition:Atlanta or Houston.Which do you know more about and which do you think the average world citizen knows more about?and why?It can be a negative or positive thing.What comes to mind when you think of each city?This is not an opinion on which city is better.Lets keep it simple to the one question asked only.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Atlanta- Nationally
Houston-Internationally.

Atlanta has a better national scene which is why they are attracting more transplants domestically than Houston. Besides Chicago, Atlanta is centrally located and very convienient to large cities in the Northeast and Midwest. It also is a hub for an entire Southern region attracting domestic business. Houston is on the lower hand compared to Atlanta in that regard. I would say Atlanta is much more charming than Houston due to it being very Southern.

On the other hand, Houston has the upper hand (lol) internationally. Atlanta has the upper hand on domestic flights, Houston has the international flights. Receiving more Asian, African, European, and especially Latin American passengers than Atlanta, more international trade and that's mainly because of the seaport and the oil/energy. Houston also has a larger and more diverse population than Atlanta. While Atlanta has made great strides on getting more diverse, it is still basically known as a black and white city.

I would say Atlanta would have better name recognition because they held the olympics and Houston is simply in Texas. The home of George W Bush who is not well liked around the world (even though he is NOT from Texas). I would say most in African know about both cities. Europeans would probably know about Atlanta but Houston isn't far behind but Houston is probably known more in Asia and Latin America.

Did the best I could because I love both cities just Houston slightly more due to diversity issues.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,698 times
I'll bite, I think Atlanta is more well known nationally because our schools are higher profile (GTECH-ACC) and alot of people drink the native drink (What? Exactly, you know). In sports we are more well known because of all the events we hosted and if you love pets you know about us (M Vick). If you love Bobby Brown than you know that he's been arrested a few times in Atlanta. If you love music (R&B and Hip-Hop) then you know about us. If you are taking courses in American Black History then you'll hear/see Atlanta a couple of times. I will let some of my fellow Atlantans get in on this and sorry about the multiple parenthesis.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 AM

362 posts, read 1,058,372 times
Atlanta nothing comes to mind but a growing southern city.
Houston Space Center! Houston we have a problem! Houston has more F-500 much larger skyline. Atlanta a big city in a small backward state! Nothing over Texas get real!

Atlanta not even close!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM

415 posts, read 506,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
I'll bite, I think Atlanta is more well known nationally because our schools are higher profile (GTECH-ACC) and alot of people drink the native drink (What? Exactly, you know). In sports we are more well known because of all the events we hosted and if you love pets you know about us (M Vick). If you love Bobby Brown than you know that he's been arrested a few times in Atlanta. If you love music (R&B and Hip-Hop) then you know about us. If you are taking courses in American Black History then you'll hear/see Atlanta a couple of times. I will let some of my fellow Atlantans get in on this and sorry about the multiple parenthesis.
Is this a joke post? I can't tell if you're serious or not.

But anyway, for schools, Houston has Rice. People drink a lot of Minute Maid in Houston (which was started and is based in Houston, but also a subsidiary of Coke). Atlanta has hosted the Olympics. The only event (a big one I might add) that it has hosted and not Houston. Bobby Brown? Pass. Yeah, we know about the ringtone and snap rappers . Of course that isn't all about Atlanta, but don't sleep on Houston. Houston got big with its music scene, though I hated it. Didn't want our rappers to start selling out. Now I'm happily banging K-Rino (check out Imagination), among other artists knowing they won't make up a new dance to get big. This is what Dallas hip hop is doing right now. Coming out with dance records and its stupid. Atlanta is definitely up there in American Black History. Easily.

But that's about it.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,345,174 times
"Houston we have a probl.............."

/transmission ended

Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,011,141 times
I could have sworn that there was a HUGE debate over this in a thread about the most important city in the South.

I will continue to take the position I did then. Atlanta has much bigger name recognition in the US and the world.

The fact that Atlanta hosted the Summer Olympics already puts it on an international pedastal WAY above that of Houston. I'm pretty sure Houston hasn't even been considered for any Olympics games.

Atlanta has the WORLD'S busiest airport. It's true that Houston handles more international flights. It's closer to Mexico, and therefore serves flights that come up from smaller cities south of the border. That doesn't give Houston more global prominence. Atlanta's airport serves more outnumbers Houston is destinations served (international flights included) by almost 100.

I would agree that the city of Houston is likely more diverse than the city of Atlanta. However, I think it would be important to look at the entire metro areas of both cities. Face it, when a lot of people say they live in Houston or Atlanta, they live in the suburbs. That being said, I would argue that Atlanta rivals Houston when metro areas are considered.

Lastly, and more superficially, Atlanta has a MUCH larger mainstream music/black entertainment scene than Houston. It's hard to go more than 10 minutes watching MTV or BET without seeing a music artist from Atlanta or seeing the city featured in some way. The city is often referred to as the "Black Hollywood" as it houses many of America's most prominent movie and music stars. Atlanta also has much more visibility in cinematic productions.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I know Houston is the nation's fourth-largest city and may eventually overtake Chicago for the position of third-largest city, but Atlanta is a small city that just feels so much larger. Granted its legendary sprawl issues have led to only 10% of the 5,000,000 or so metropolitan residents living in the city proper, but as miamiman said many folks who live in several counties surrounding Atlanta will tell people "I'm from Atlanta." That's the same everywhere. I'm sure miamiman doesn't tell people when he's traveling "I'm from North Scottsdale." He probably says "I'm from Phoenix." Similarly I don't say "I'm from Pittston Township." I say "I'm from Scranton." I don't know if it's an East Coast thing or what, but to those of us in the Northeast, Atlanta just seems like the "capital of the South" even though many cities, including Charlotte, Dallas, Jacksonville, Houston, and I believe even Fort Worth, are larger.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
There is no way to underestimate what Ted Turner did for Atlanta. He almost single handedly lifted it from obscurity and put it on the map. Between the two I would say they are about equal in name recognition.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 AM

415 posts, read 506,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I could have sworn that there was a HUGE debate over this in a thread about the most important city in the South.

I will continue to take the position I did then. Atlanta has much bigger name recognition in the US and the world.
Maybe United States, but not the world.

Quote:
The fact that Atlanta hosted the Summer Olympics already puts it on an international pedastal WAY above that of Houston. I'm pretty sure Houston hasn't even been considered for any Olympics games.
It didn't put it way above Houston. Houston has been considered for two Olympic games. The first for 2012. It made it all the way to the US Final Four. The second was for the 2016 Games. It was hand picked by the USOC along with San Francisco, Chicago, Philly, and Los Angeles. Chicago made it out.

Quote:
Atlanta has the WORLD'S busiest airport. It's true that Houston handles more international flights. It's closer to Mexico, and therefore serves flights that come up from smaller cities south of the border. That doesn't give Houston more global prominence. Atlanta's airport serves more outnumbers Houston is destinations served (international flights included) by almost 100.
Uh....no. Houston's airport serves 182 destinations, and Atlanta's serves 239. Hardly ahead by "almost 100". What gives Houston more global presence is its much more diverse population and its strong oil/energy section of its economy. Also, Houston has the third most foreign consulates in the United States (only Los Angeles and New York have more), and Vietnam wants to open one in Houston (which, by the way, has the nations third largest Vietnamese population with 90,000 people).

Quote:
I would agree that the city of Houston is likely more diverse than the city of Atlanta. However, I think it would be important to look at the entire metro areas of both cities. Face it, when a lot of people say they live in Houston or Atlanta, they live in the suburbs. That being said, I would argue that Atlanta rivals Houston when metro areas are considered.
That is what we have been doing. Using metro areas, Houston is still much more diverse. Atlanta is still a black and white metro area.

Quote:
Lastly, and more superficially, Atlanta has a MUCH larger mainstream music/black entertainment scene than Houston. It's hard to go more than 10 minutes watching MTV or BET without seeing a music artist from Atlanta or seeing the city featured in some way. The city is often referred to as the "Black Hollywood" as it houses many of America's most prominent movie and music stars. Atlanta also has much more visibility in cinematic productions.
There is no denying that it is Black Hollywood since it hosts many of the nations prominent black movie and music stars. Doesn't matter that the songs you hear from Atlanta (mainstream) are crappy ringtone/dance songs though. Atlanta is still there.

But your post answers something I had asked myself. It seems that most people just go by what they think about Atlanta, and don't know the true facts. Making things up between Atlanta and Houston, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City