Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rater live in the Chicago or Dallas metro areas?
Chicago metro 154 57.04%
Dallas metro 116 42.96%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,665,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Chances are if someone attends a church with a conservative theology they will hold more socially conservative views.
Agreed.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 PM

6,736 posts, read 10,004,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas sees wind chills in the teens every winter which is still cold to most people who aren't used to it. In Texas, when it hits 70 degrees or the first "cool front" of the Fall we pull out our jackets & long sleeves no exaggeration.
We do?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,379,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We do?
I sure don't. 65 and up is still t-shirt weather, for me. 50-65 is long sleeves and pants. Anything lower than that usually calls for a light jacket or hoodie; sometimes gloves and a hat. I don't wear the heavy stuff until it's below freezing.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 AM

20,532 posts, read 33,650,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We do?
I didn't. I had short sleeve shirts on with no jacket when temps were in the 50s.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:47 AM

20,532 posts, read 33,650,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It depends on what interstate you're on. When the Kennedy is bad, it's one of the worst in the nation comparable to any bad one in LA. I-290 can be bad at times too. However there are other interstates which are not and are usually free. Go south of 35th street on I-90 in Chicago and it's smooth sailing pretty much any time of day all the way and some of the other interstates out in the western burbs is the same thing where you'll have pretty smooth traffic anytime.
Yeah 290 is terrible. Especially in Oak Park. That's what I'm basing it one. 294 to me is mostly smooth.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:54 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,379,432 times
I did vote for Chicago, though, mostly because it's larger and more urban. I have to say that I've become more fond of the city than I am the people who live there, though.

Dallas would be a comfort move. It's in the home state, I'm all too familiar with it, and I feel it wouldn't exactly offer me any new experiences or challenges. I've already lived in two cities extremely similar to it.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,699,977 times
Lol at Dallas being the bible belt buckle. Not even the bible belt.

I have lived in both cities. I loved living in Chicago, hated living in Dallas. Dallas does not have 4 seasons. It has 2. Winter and Summer. There is a nice 3 week period that should be Fall, where you don't suffocate or freeze. Chicago winters are harsh, but Dallas summers feel much longer than Chicago's winters. Personally I'd rather deal with the cold than heat. Both have corrupt City governments and bad crime. Chicago has more culture, Dallasites are more cosmo. Chicago has a better night life. I miss the 4am bars. I think the dating scene in Chicago is better too. Chicago has much much better mass transit. I have lived in both cities without a car. It was a nightmare in Dallas. I typically had to bum rides on a frequent basis. Very hard to get around without a vehicle since it's urban sprawl. Dallas has a lot of restaurants, so there is something to eat on every corner.
I did not find Dallas to be cheap in my 15 years there. Rents were about the same, while my utilities in Dallas were much much higher than what I paid in Chicago.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 PM

933 posts, read 1,537,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Lol at Dallas being the bible belt buckle. Not even the bible belt. .
I know it is not the best source, but Dallas has always been listed as a buckle of the Bible Belt on Wikipedia.

Quote:
Dallas, Texas is home to several seminaries, including the Brite Divinity School of Texas Christian University, Dallas Theological Seminary, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (the largest Protestant seminary in the world), and Criswell College; Southern Methodist University; the conservative Catholic University of Dallas; and several of America's largest megachurches, including The Potter's House (pastored by T.D. Jakes), Prestonwood Baptist Church (pastored by Jack Graham), and First Baptist Church (once, under the leadership of W.A. Criswell, the largest Protestant church in the world).

Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,816,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I know it is not the best source, but Dallas has always been listed as a buckle of the Bible Belt on Wikipedia.
If you think Dallas is the buckle, you haven't spent enough time other places within the bible belt. Dallas is about as bible beltish as Atlanta and less so than places like OKC or Birmingham.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 PM

933 posts, read 1,537,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
If you think Dallas is the buckle, you haven't spent enough time other places within the bible belt. Dallas is about as bible beltish as Atlanta and less so than places like OKC or Birmingham.
It might not be as bad as rural Mississippi or East Texas, but compared to similarly sized metros...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City