Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rater live in the Chicago or Dallas metro areas?
Chicago metro 154 57.04%
Dallas metro 116 42.96%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,790,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
It might not be as bad as rural Mississippi or East Texas, but compared to similarly sized metros...
Again, its about like Atlanta in this regard. Not more, not less. I just spent three weeks in Atlanta for work and you find the same mega churches, adverts, etc. People didn't talk about religion to me but they don't in Dallas either. Dallas is only slightly more Bible Belt than Houston.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:52 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,365,306 times
To paraphrase Wikipedia, Dallas got the Buckle title from its numerous seminaries and popular large megachurches. I never took that nickname to mean that the actual people of the city were necessarily more religious than elsewhere but that it was simply a hub for evangelical institutions. It is, however, one of the reasons that I've always felt certain that Dallas was a southern city, despite the somewhat common claims that it isn't.

Most people that I've met in either city weren't even regular churchgoers, though (not that being one is a bad thing at all).

Old 04-11-2014, 03:40 PM

164 posts, read 283,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sounds very accurate to me. When I visited Dallas, I was only there for 2 days and was generally not impressed with the area. I didn't find it to be slow paced at all, either. The driving was intense, because of insanely high car volume on the roads. The whole area just kind of looked bland and ugly and wasn't green enough. It also seemed third-worldish in many areas. And WAY too many iHops, Wendy's and other chains. When driving around with the windows down, all I could smell was nasty fried food in the air mixed with the heat. Absolutely nasty.

And yes, for me, I prefer progressive places. I can't stand the conservative mentality for the most part, and am not religious at all. Although, this thread isn't about me. It's a just-for-fun thread.
Norwalk, a tiny small town with too many rich folks..In the other word, too expensive for people to live there.

Of course, there are advantages of CT, when you get off metro train station, you can see five large corporation headquarters within walking distance, that is good for looking for a better job.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:43 PM

164 posts, read 283,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Lol at Dallas being the bible belt buckle. Not even the bible belt.

I have lived in both cities. I loved living in Chicago, hated living in Dallas. Dallas does not have 4 seasons. It has 2. Winter and Summer. There is a nice 3 week period that should be Fall, where you don't suffocate or freeze. Chicago winters are harsh, but Dallas summers feel much longer than Chicago's winters. Personally I'd rather deal with the cold than heat. Both have corrupt City governments and bad crime. Chicago has more culture, Dallasites are more cosmo. Chicago has a better night life. I miss the 4am bars. I think the dating scene in Chicago is better too. Chicago has much much better mass transit. I have lived in both cities without a car. It was a nightmare in Dallas. I typically had to bum rides on a frequent basis. Very hard to get around without a vehicle since it's urban sprawl. Dallas has a lot of restaurants, so there is something to eat on every corner.
I did not find Dallas to be cheap in my 15 years there. Rents were about the same, while my utilities in Dallas were much much higher than what I paid in Chicago.
Both have "bad crime", Are you serious? You do not know about nasty S Chicago and gun ban?

For living cost, it usually same because house rent is same for a single room in Chicago and a whole apartment in Dallas. More importantly, in Chicago, you deal with century long housing, in Dallas, you can live in a very new apartment.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,736,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post

For living cost, it usually same because house rent is same for a single room in Chicago and a whole apartment in Dallas. More importantly, in Chicago, you deal with century long housing, in Dallas, you can live in a very new apartment.
New construction is usually ****, especially in the south.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,425,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
New construction is usually ****, especially in the south.
And there's tons of new construction in Chicago, too, but there's also a lot of nice, older housing stock if you want it.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
And there's tons of new construction in Chicago, too, but there's also a lot of nice, older housing stock if you want it.
...in the South, as well.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,000,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
...in the South, as well.
Not so much in Dallas though.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,000,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
Both have "bad crime", Are you serious? You do not know about nasty S Chicago and gun ban?

I kinda doubt he lived in Chicago's South Side. No denying that part of the city is bad, but generally that area of the city has residents that are born there and die there, no one new really moves in. Let's not forget, South Dallas is a pretty gritty and troubled area too.

Oh, and Chicago has removed its gun ban.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Not so much in Dallas though.
As much as Chicago has? No, but it's definitely there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City