Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 01:50 PM

437 posts, read 628,529 times

Advertisements

Which city is the most fun driving at night? I was thinking of putting up a poll with the usual suspects but decided not to as it can exclude excellent nighttime driving cities and include not so great ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 03:09 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
What makes a city fun to drive in at night? I'm not sure how to quantify it, but I like ATL. Maybe it's just such a big relief over rush hour, when it's a nightmare to drive.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Well for example I currently reside just outside Seattle, though very picturesque during the day and plenty to see, at night it gets very lonely and dark out, not much to see and do even downtown. Dallas on the other hand was pretty cool at night, lots of activity and lights all around you, however during the day was very bland, and would take the Seattle scenery over it any day of the week.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I hate driving at night! I can't see a darn thing. Come to think of it, I can't see that good in the day-time either.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Mulholland Drive.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h6p8UKQ362o

Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
Hate driving at night.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Atlanta is very fun to drive through at night. The drive into town on the freeways from north to south (via 85, 75 or 400) is very beautiful. I also enjoy, on occasion, driving the entire length of Peachtree Street from Brookhaven to Downtown at night, which takes you though the tower canyons of Buckhead and Midtown. It's an exciting drive.

http://youtu.be/WJs3jxBXwQg
Atlanta GA Freeways: Buckhead to The Airport at Night - YouTube

Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
Well for example I currently reside just outside Seattle, though very picturesque during the day and plenty to see, at night it gets very lonely and dark out, not much to see and do even downtown. Dallas on the other hand was pretty cool at night, lots of activity and lights all around you, however during the day was very bland, and would take the Seattle scenery over it any day of the week.
Dallas is a fun city drive through at night, aesthetically the roads are uniform and nice, the skyline is lit up, and if you're on a street like MacArthur in Irving and get a hillside view from atop while driving of the skyline, it's pretty, the street grid with lots of lights radiating out from an already well lit and pretty good sized central business district.

Houston and Miami also share this DNA with Dallas, they are literally all different cities at night than they are during the day. They not only look better but are increasingly more fun in just about every single way (in my opinion) than they are during the day.

New York at night and Chicago at night and Los Angeles at night and the Bay Area at night and Washington DC at night are a standard and given. The big five (as many say on this forum) truly clean sweep the most categories collectively as a group, night and day. They are all fun cities. The immense cityscape sizes of New York and Chicago, with the unique architecture and structures of Washington, the physical geography and dense metropolis grid of San Francisco, and Los Angeles especially is an amazing city at night. All of them can be captured in a breathtaking light at night via a drive/car. For Los Angeles; it's so colorful, all in the right and appropriate ways. I'll be honest, I don't think as much about the city's day time look but it's so hard to top at night. Really from the evening on-wards, that city is a whole new place as the sun starts to set.

All in my opinion though.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Dallas is a fun city drive through at night, aesthetically the roads are uniform and nice, the skyline is lit up, and if you're on a street like MacArthur in Irving and get a hillside view from atop while driving of the skyline, it's pretty, the street grid with lots of lights radiating out from an already well lit and pretty good sized central business district.

Houston and Miami also share this DNA with Dallas, they are literally all different cities at night than they are during the day. They not only look better but are increasingly more fun in just about every single way (in my opinion) than they are during the day.

New York at night and Chicago at night and Los Angeles at night and the Bay Area at night and Washington DC at night are a standard and given. The big five (as many say on this forum) truly clean sweep the most categories collectively as a group, night and day. They are all fun cities. The immense cityscape sizes of New York and Chicago, with the unique architecture and structures of Washington, the physical geography and dense metropolis grid of San Francisco, and Los Angeles especially is an amazing city at night. All of them can be captured in a breathtaking light at night via a drive/car. For Los Angeles; it's so colorful, all in the right and appropriate ways. I'll be honest, I don't think as much about the city's day time look but it's so hard to top at night. Really from the evening on-wards, that city is a whole new place as the sun starts to set.

All in my opinion though.
I agree with you to a point, the cities you listed are hard to beat at night aesthetically speaking, but what cities like Miami and Dallas have over them is the ease of getting around.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times
A city where the lights keep on shining and people are still out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City