Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is a better place to live?
Midwest 23 53.49%
New England 20 46.51%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 AM

11,669 posts, read 18,022,026 times

Advertisements

I wish I could cancel/delete this thread. Why can't we do that on this forum? If I'm allowed to create a thread, I should be allowed to delete it, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 AM

37,346 posts, read 39,770,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I wish I could cancel/delete this thread. Why can't we do that on this forum? If I'm allowed to create a thread, I should be allowed to delete it, right?
You are probably going to take this thread to your grave. I'm sorry.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,064,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You certainly can start a new thread which compares New England to a relatively equivalent geographic portion of The Midwest.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,500,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelai4605217 View Post
Climate: Midwest, hands down. You get all 4 seasons.
Uhhhhh you don't get 4 seasons in New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You are probably going to take this thread to your grave. I'm sorry.
This will make it on the tombstone, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
That would be a fairer comparison. The broader Midwest wins this easily, simply because it overwhelms the smaller New England. A fairer comparison would be Mich/Wisconsin/Illinois/Minnesota/Indiana versus New England.
Even then that's a strange comparison. That combo of states has 40,495,000 people in 343,484 square miles. Comparatively, New England has about 14,500,000 in 62,488 square miles. There was a previous comparison between New England and Illinois, which caused lots of Midwesterners to get upset since it was a region vs a state, but New England has a special connection that no other region does...outside of having different governments, for the most part it does sort of feel like one big state. Heck 3/5 states you listed are actually larger than New England in terms of land area.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 04-25-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,995,391 times
Climate - Tied (below 32 degrees snow is snow and I still have to wear a jacket regardless) New England gets the Nor'easter and Dorothy says we're not in Kansas anymore. Pick your poison.

Scenery - New England for it's Mountains/Ocean and Midwest for it's Lakes and Rivers

Cost of Living - Midwest (lower taxes)

Economy/Jobs - Midwest

Cities - Midwest because of CHICAGO. Boston seemed much smaller as a regional hub city by comparison. One could argue about NYC to the south but it's not part of New England. The traditional small towns in England are more interesting but I'd rather have more choice of larger cities to choose from within a region.

Lifestyle - Tie (I'm open minded enough to adapt and appreciate either region outside the bubble)

Activities - New England for nature and Midwest for more variety choice of larger cities.

People/Culture/Mentality - Tie (I like the best of both worlds) I can get bored with just one culture all the time. I like variety. It's like listening to the same type of music genre all the time. Mix it up!
Politics/Religion - Tie (subjective)

Old 04-25-2014, 01:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,060,185 times
Quote:

Scenery: Never been to New England, but have been to the east coast, and if New England is somewhat similar in scenery, I would have to say New England, because I like the east coast scenery.

Cost of Living: Midwest.

Lifestyle: Midwest. I have a hard time with the lifestyle in my location, and I heard about the east coast lifestyle, and its not for me.

Economy/Jobs: Midwest.

Activities: again, east coast.

People/Culture/Mentality: Midwest. again, I live in NM, and this is not for me. Friendlier, down to earth people in some Midwest locations. (emphasis on some)

Politics/religion: I'm very conservative, so the Midwest appeals to me.
You also get all 4 seasons in New England.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 5 days ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,124,766 times
Quote:
And last time I checked, Kansas isn't really known for its fall foliage.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:42 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,537,525 times
Minnesota & Wisconsin > New England > Michigan & Ohio > Northern Indiana

Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,022,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Minnesota & Wisconsin > New England > Michigan & Ohio > Northern Indiana
Really? I've traveled out to the Midwest and thought it was interesting. But I thought MI/OH/IN were quite appealing. Indiana had unparalleled scenery, too. I really liked Iowa, which had subtle topographical variance and more tree clusters than you'd find in IL. Nebraska was nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City