Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:13 AM

250 posts, read 359,073 times

Advertisements

I have never been to either of these cities...but they have always been grouped together in my mind...relatively similar metro populations, both major southern cities which in eyes of many have had major declines, both very historic...which do you think would make a better couple day vacation?

In terms of what I tend to enjoy in a vacation...mostly just exploring downtowns and neighborhoods, parks, etc...not so much into museums or music/night scene...though there are exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I'd say Memphis. Even though you're not much into museums or music, I think those things give Memphis more of an edge from a visitor's point of view (e.g., Graceland, Beale Street, Rock 'n Soul Museum, Lorraine Motel/Civil Rights museum). Both have nice downtowns with a good historic urban fabric in place, but I'd also give Memphis the edge here too since it also has had more new development but these days, Birmingham is catching up quick in that area.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:48 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
I'd rather spend the extra money and go to Nashville.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:22 PM

250 posts, read 359,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I'd rather spend the extra money and go to Nashville.
I've been to Nashville, and quite like it...but I am interested in exploring a new city.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:21 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Memphis is more gratifying for a visitor than Birmingham for sure.

Birmingham isn't as touristy while Memphis has Graceland, Lorrain Motel, Beale Steet, Peabody Place, the Riverfront etc. Bham does have a Civil Rights Museum, but Memphis' attractions are far more popular.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I wouldn't go to Memphis. Beale street is fun for one night and the rest of down town is pretty dead. Sound studios is the only interesting thing in Memphis.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:50 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Birmingham has:

Civil Rights Museum and the places among the Civil Rights Trail (16th Street Baptist Church, Kelly Ingram park).
Rickwood Field (oldest standing pro baseball park)
Barber Motorsports (largest Motorcycle Museum around, as well as an Indy/F-1 track)
Vulcan (world's largest cast iron statue atop Red mountain, museum gives good history of the area)
Sloss Furnace (ca. 1880 pig iron furnace, and the first National Historic Landmark designee for heavy industry)
Botanical Gardens (Japanese garden is quite special, but recent bad weather may have put the damper on things).
Fine Dining (Lots of Beard winners, nominees and finalists)
Barbecue

Old 05-05-2014, 10:35 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFops View Post
Neither really, but forced to choose, I'd choose Birmingham simply for the edge of culture waaay over Memphis TN. The southside of bham around 5 points has far more character than anything in Memphis TN. Beale Street is a dump compared to the offerings from 5 points/UAB area to Homewood, The Summit, to English Village area. Birmingham's topography is far more interesting, and Bham is a short drive to Huntsville Space FLight Center of NASA which is a waay superior attraction than anything close to Memphis TN . Birmingham has better lakes such as Oak Mountain, Lake Purdy, etc etc....Memphis centre has the muddy nasty-looking Mississippi River and McKellar lake which is a thorough joke.
I think Graceland, Sun Studios, and the Lorraine Motel are more interesting myself. It depends on what the OP is into.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Birmingham has:

Civil Rights Museum and the places among the Civil Rights Trail (16th Street Baptist Church, Kelly Ingram park).
Rickwood Field (oldest standing pro baseball park)
Barber Motorsports (largest Motorcycle Museum around, as well as an Indy/F-1 track)
Vulcan (world's largest cast iron statue atop Red mountain, museum gives good history of the area)
Sloss Furnace (ca. 1880 pig iron furnace, and the first National Historic Landmark designee for heavy industry)
Botanical Gardens (Japanese garden is quite special, but recent bad weather may have put the damper on things).
Fine Dining (Lots of Beard winners, nominees and finalists)
Barbecue
Dont forget Mountain Brook Village. Beautiful and a very unique shopping experience for those who tire of malls.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Neither. Do Nashville or Chattanooga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City