Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:33 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times

Advertisements

Considering that LA is ahead of NYC and Atlanta is on here I call BS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 05:44 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Considering that LA is ahead of NYC and Atlanta is on here I call BS
NYC has an argument... But ATL is not in LA's league. I say this as somebody who lived in ATL for 5 years. ATL had a lot of good things going for it, but LA is the better city easily. COL is better in ATL, QOL is better in LA. LA also has a better brand internationally.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:15 PM

112 posts, read 136,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
NYC has an argument... But ATL is not in LA's league. I say this as somebody who lived in ATL for 5 years. ATL had a lot of good things going for it, but LA is the better city easily. COL is better in ATL, QOL is better in LA. LA also has a better brand internationally.
I think he meant that Atlanta was on the list period, not comparing it to LA.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Is tokyo not.cosmopolitan because its not diverse either
Lord, yes! Thank you for saying this.

I have so been holding back saying this. For whatever reason, U.S. cities have to be "cosmopolitan" to be world class, but 509,029,200 other cities around the world lack any type of major diversity but are the golden standard.

Any brand, food, art, medical procedure, religious ceremony, or sexual fantasy I want can be found in Atlanta.

I can even ride the train around Atlanta or catch a flight to anywhere I want to from the airport.

People and their fascination of what is "world class" or not is dumb.

It's like saying Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and Maybach are the ultimate luxury cars (New York, Paris, London, and Tokyo)

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, and Jaguar are in the middle (LA, Berlin, Mexico City, San Francisco, and Toronto)

and Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, and Volvo are the left overs... (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, and DC)

They're all luxury cars and they pretty much give you the same experience should you be able to afford one.

ALL those cities will give you pretty much the same experience. Some just pile on in certain areas more than others.

And who's to say one cannot prefer an Infiniti to a Bentley?

Like I don't know what else to say.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
COL and QOL is better in Atlanta. It's better in Georgia period. I'm sure any bad habits Georgia does have, they're probably worse in California.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 PM

409 posts, read 587,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
COL and QOL is better in Atlanta. It's better in Georgia period. I'm sure any bad habits Georgia does have, they're probably worse in California.
I will most definitely disagree on that one. California vs. Georgia on QOL? That's just crazy and disproven in the fact that CA is far more in demand.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:55 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Diversity isn't really needed for Tokyo. As it simply serves a different global purpose than a place like Atlanta or Las Vegas. Diversity is traditionally certain European (or British established) or American staples. When it comes to "world class" arguments, Tokyo as a city speaks for itself. It's the capital of the globes Sino-Japanese sphere. A role New York exercises over the world, along with London, for the Anglo sphere; Paris over the Franco sphere, so on.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
The subject was branding, not virtues of each city.
New York is the obvious #1, because you'll see "NY" hats and shirts in every corner of the globe, and is known more than any city on Earth. Paris is probably #2.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:04 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post

No...QOL is better in Los Angeles. I lived in Midtown ATL not too far from G Tech and Piedmont Park until 2011. I was not living there when the beltline was built but did go back this past summer and saw the great changes that are going on ITP. That being said, Los Angeles has a better quality of life...PERIOD! It really is the Weather that has a built in advantage over most cities in the US, and the Beaches and Hills up the ante some more. I'm not going on a day trip skiing in ATL, go hike, or go to the Beach when I feel like it. I also won't have access to the ethnic food options (don't get me started on ethnic food in ATL), Shopping, Festivals, Art, Outdoor activities, and nightlife that doesn't revolve the club scene like ATL. People will routinely mistake COL =QOL...but that is just not true for anybody that lives in a Cosmopolitan City.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
No...QOL is better in Los Angeles. I lived in Midtown ATL not too far from G Tech and Piedmont Park until 2011. I was not living there when the beltline was built but did go back this past summer and saw the great changes that are going on ITP. That being said, Los Angeles has a better quality of life...PERIOD! It's really is the Weather that has a built in advantage over most cities in the US, and the Beaches and Hills up the ante some more. I'm not going on a day trip skiing in ATL, go hike, or go to the Beach when I feel like it. I also won't have access to the ethnic food options (don't get me started on ethnic food in ATL), Shopping, Festivals, Art, Outdoor activities, and nightlife that doesn't revolve the club scene like ATL. People will routinely mistake COL =QOL...but that is just not true for anybody that lives in a Cosmopolitan City.
QOL is very subjective; it depends entirely on a person's needs and preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City