Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,212,655 times

Advertisements

They listed 25 cities across the world in total. Here are the American cities that made the cut:

Quote:
22 Atlanta
MARTA, the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, is the hub of a thriving transportation system that gives Atlanta's brand a boost, and it has become the world capital of hip-hop. But it remains dangerous in places, and there just isn't enough for visitors to see to make the capital of Georgia competitive with the top tier of US cities.

13 Chicago
Full of attractions and history and everything that makes American cities great, the only problem with the Windy City might be just that – the wind and weather. (Though Chicago's patchy safety record isn't helping, either)

9 Las Vegas
Safety and a struggling economy are big problems in Vegas, baby – but the Strip retains its freakish ability to drown out the city's problems in its alluring light. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas … and the brand thrives as a result.

8 San Francisco
The City by the Bay has it all – shopping, jobs, great transport (there's a particularly nice bridge, we hear) and buzz. If only it didn't rain quite so much, San Francisco might be able to take on the really big guns.

2 New York City
Very similar in brand profile to London, New York's transit system doesn't have quite the same reputation for brilliance as the tube, but the weather's better, and perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that the New York brand slightly edges London when considered on a global scale.

1 Los Angeles
For cultural variety and sheer glitter, however, LA outshines them all. It has stunning weather that New York and London just can't compete with, the amazing beaches to show it off, world-class art, movie history, an endless parade of famous attractions, an improving crime rate and a certain well-known sign in the hills. After years of languishing, the City of Angels has top spot in the brand firmament.

From Milan to Mecca: the world's most powerful city brands revealed | Cities | theguardian.com
This is how they compiled their list:
Quote:
The report measures two aspects of a city's brand: its “assets” – attractions, climate, infrastructure (particularly transport), safety and economic prosperity – and its “buzz”, a combination of social media (Facebook likes and Twitter sentiment analysis) and media mentions. Assets and buzz were each graded out of 10; the numbers were added to produce a total score.

See link for the rest of the info:
The world cities with the most powerful brands - get the data | Cities | theguardian.com
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,995,551 times
Where is Houston?

Old 05-07-2014, 05:26 PM

273 posts, read 324,166 times
Quote:
22 Atlanta
MARTA, the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, is the hub of a thriving transportation system
And by thriving transportation system, they mean a massive network of freeways and a public transit system that hardly anybody uses.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 PM

20,536 posts, read 33,674,260 times
Lol at the world capital of hip hop.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,283,768 times
Based on the terrible descriptions of those cities, I'm curious if they have been to any of them, or are just reading up wikipedia travel guides??

Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 PM

16,518 posts, read 26,445,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Lol at the world capital of hip hop.
That's what got me. I guess a bunch of 2Chainz and Rick Ross's now qualify for hip-hop.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 PM

10,265 posts, read 16,012,380 times
Now when I think Los Angeles I think of the crime and drugs and the Third World elements. For that "sunny California" feeling I think Orange County and San Diego.

I think New York has the most famous subway in the world, its even more iconic than the London Underground. Granted both the New York Subway and London's show their age. Within the US I think Washington DC has a good subway.

I'm surprised Washington, D.C., New Orleans, and Miami are not on there. The cultural influence of Nashville and Memphis are also larger than the cities size may suggest though I really don't understand why country music isn't more popular internationally.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 PM

267 posts, read 450,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's what got me. I guess a bunch of 2Chainz and Rick Ross's now qualify for hip-hop.
Ricky Rozay is from the MIA-O.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 PM

273 posts, read 324,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I really don't understand why country music isn't more popular internationally.
Because it's stupid and awful and cheesy. Why would people in Germany or Japan or New Zealand want to listen to country "music".

Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,520,165 times
I'm pretty sure this list is dumb, even if Atlanta made the cut.

What is the purpose of this list and how could it not include Washington D.C. of all places in the U.S.?

EDIT: I see where they put "social buzz"...

I now know why the list looks the way it does. Turns out, it's a popularity contest. I guess those Real Housewives of Atlanta, and Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta peeps are holding the city down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City