Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,037 times

Advertisements

For me? I've been to Seattle but never Boston so I can't comment too much on the latter but I'm going to try anyway!

Seattle Pros:

-Beautiful Mountain views and scenery with Dense Pine Forests
-Very well "connected" city, it's quite easy to get around
--Lots of Tech Jobs

Seattle Cons:

-Gloomy weather. If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder like me you do NOT want to live there!
-Fairly expensive
-A bit too liberal for my tastes

Boston Pros:

-Lots of great history
-Great Skyline (based on the pictures I have seen anyway)
-More sunny than Seattle (I don't really know if this is true or not, just what I've heard)

Boston Cons:

-Brutally cold winters!
-Lacks the Natural Beauty of Seattle (Boston is essentially a dense urban jungle like most Northeast Cities)
-High crime rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
For me? I've been to Seattle but never Boston so I can't comment too much on the latter but I'm going to try anyway!

Seattle Pros:

--Lots of Tech Jobs

Seattle Cons:

-Gloomy weather. If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder like me you do NOT want to live there!
-Fairly expensive

Boston Pros:

-Lots of great history
-More sunny than Seattle (I don't really know if this is true or not, just what I've heard)

Boston Cons:

-Brutally cold winters!
-Lacks the Natural Beauty of Seattle (Boston is essentially a dense urban jungle like most Northeast Cities)
-High crime rate
I don't understand the use of the word "brutal" when describing cold winters. It's not like winter wields a baseball bat and clubs us over the head with it. The attitude of most of us here is that winter is a wonderful friend who stays too long and can be quite obnoxious while they're here.

And Boston does not have a high crime rate. If you compare it's metro area to all other metro areas, it's one of the safest in the nation.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post

Seattle Pros:

--Lots of Tech Jobs

Seattle Cons:

-Fairly expensive

Boston Pros:

-Lots of great history

Boston Cons:

-Brutally cold winters!
-High crime rate
Boston winters are hardly brutal. Snowfall wise they're comparable to Pittsburgh and Chicago and I'd say Boston is slightly warmer in winter than those two cities.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:38 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
BOSTON:

PROS:
1. Clean (compared to PHL and NYC)
2. Strong local economy
3. Public Transportation (also clean compared to other rails in the Northeast.)

CONS:
1. Liberal Elitist type atmosphere
2. People can be a bit stuck up: you know, liberal elitism mixed with that higher education mentality (see Diane Chambers.)
3. Public Transit shuts at Midnight.

SEATTLE:

PROS:
1. Summers are apparently really nice
2. Low crime
3. good bar and local music scene

CONS:
1. Extremely white and non-diverse
2. very hick once you are out of city (see Kurt Cobain.)
3. Weather

Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
BOSTON:

Normal operating hours are until 1am, and there is now late-night service on Friday and Saturday until 2:30AM.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:38 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
BOSTON:

CONS:

Subway and some of the busier bus routes run until 3am on weekends.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Boston winters are hardly brutal. Snowfall wise they're comparable to Pittsburgh and Chicago and I'd say Boston is slightly warmer in winter than those two cities.
In agreement--Boston is not that cold--not even close to a place like Minneapolis..

Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
And Boston does not have a high crime rate. If you compare it's metro area to all other metro areas, it's one of the safest in the nation.
Yea I'm not sure why that would be a "con" to Boston. The city proper has an overall higher crime rate than most other areas in the metro, but it's still well below what most would consider "bad" (tho this year has been abnormally high in homicides). When you include the inner-suburbs, you get a population of around 1.8-1.9 million with around 70-80 murders on average. That's an extremely low rate.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 AM

202 posts, read 320,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah now that Aaron Hernandez is in jail and doesn't have the option to murder every night lol

Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
Yeah now that Aaron Hernandez is in jail and doesn't have the option to murder every night lol
I know you're joking, but it's worth mentioning that Aaron Hernandez lived in North Attleboro where the murder that put him in jail took place (he allegedly committed two more in Boston and was just charged with those last week). North Attleboro is in Bristol County (he's at Bristol County Department of Corrections) which is officially Metro Providence, not metro Boston. The murder that landed him in prison would actually register for the Providence area, not Boston. The two he was just charged with would count for Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City