Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
Boston is much more diverse than Seattle with a similar crime rate, Seattle is whitebread r us, I would rather live in Boston.
LOL This is exactly how I feel when in Seattle and I am white. Does that make me a double reverse racist? The culture in Seattle is Whitebread slather in Mayonnaise.

Last edited by bad apples; 05-22-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Same thing can be said about most if not all cities, including Seattle. So that doesn't change the fact that Seattle has less murders than Boston.
Its fewer murders not less murders.

OMG, I am a snob!

Old 05-22-2014, 01:45 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Its fewer murders not less murders.

OMG, I am a snob!
And I'm an English grad in law school. You'd think I'd have basic grammar down...

Old 05-22-2014, 01:52 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You've either never been to Boston or are the unluckiest person on earth. I've lived here and never had anyone come up to me out of the blue and be rude. If people in Boston don't like you, they're going to avoid you too. The "rude" aspect of living in Boston is derived from the fact that people in Boston often don't just strike up conversations with strangers in grocery stores or on the streets. Another big "rude" thing that Bostonians are reputed to do is not smile or wave or say hi to people passing on the street or in the hall. Combined with the fast pace and aggressive driving, those are the things that people often consider "rude" about Boston. I have never in my life heard of Bostonians just going up to people and "being rude." We don't just walk up to people and say, "hey man, your hair is bad, and your hips look feminine." We may not wave to you on the street, or show up at your apartment door with apple pie when you move in, but we certainly won't just be rude to you for no reason.
Living on the west coast, before I ever visited Boston I might have always had this stereotype in my mind that people there might be sort of rude cynical s**t talkers or maybe cold Puritan types(brought on by some sort of movie stereotypes as well as comments from people I knew from college from the rest of New England--especially New Hampshire folks talking about "M***holes").

When I actually went there and every time since, the people are actually one of the highlights of the trip for me. People are actually fun to talk to--and for all the repuation of suposedly being cold, people were helpful. We go to little taverns or hockey games and people are witty and engaging to shoot the breeze with(even the ones who are cynical s**talkers)--much more on average than the sort of friendly yet restrained conversation in the Pacific Northwest. When my girlfriend (now fiancee) and I got stranded for a day in Boston with no luggage due to a missed flight connection coming back from Italy, everyone was nice and sympathetic as hell(people were buying us pints)...

So yeah, I don't know everyone has their own perceptions and experiences of a place, but always get on great with Bostonians. It's one of the few places my fiancee and I talk about possibly moving to in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City