Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
the Cowboys probably have the 2nd or 3rd largest fanbase. I know there are thousands of Cowboy fans in California. That's why they have their training camp in Oxnard. In fact, Dallas has held their training camp in California for the majority of its existence. I think the only NFL fanbase as large as the Cowboys are the Steelers and Packers.
lol, the cowboys don't hold training camp in California because they have thousands of fans there. They started holding it there because of the mild climate of California. (It was Tex Schramm who was the GM at the time they started going out there who actually said they loved the mild climate.) Back in those days, the Cowboys did not have a way to escape the oppressive Dallas heat.

also, cowboys have a large fanbase when they are winning. 15 years living in Dallas and most of the people I know stopped rooting for them these past few years with excuses like "as long as Jerry Jones is the owner" and other garbage. As far as loyal fan base, wouldn't put them in the top. That fanbase jumps ship quicker than any fan base I've ever seen and I've lived in several NFL markets. Biggest fair weather fan lot of any team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
I'd bet my paycheck that there are more 49er fans in SLC than Bronco fans. There are a lot of Bronco fans here, but I see wall to wall 49er gear everywhere I go. I see it here in my job, on cars, and many of the hobby groups I'm in. I go shopping and hat's shirts, they are represented well here. But I've also met more people not on facebook here than anywhere I've ever been. Back in Dallas, every one I knew was on Facebook. here in SLC, it's the opposite.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:34 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
lol, the cowboys don't hold training camp in California because they have thousands of fans there. They started holding it there because of the mild climate of California. (It was Tex Schramm who was the GM at the time they started going out there who actually said they loved the mild climate.) Back in those days, the Cowboys did not have a way to escape the oppressive Dallas heat.

also, cowboys have a large fanbase when they are winning. 15 years living in Dallas and most of the people I know stopped rooting for them these past few years with excuses like "as long as Jerry Jones is the owner" and other garbage. As far as loyal fan base, wouldn't put them in the top. That fanbase jumps ship quicker than any fan base I've ever seen and I've lived in several NFL markets. Biggest fair weather fan lot of any team.
I meant to make that statement in regards to the mild climate that's in California.

Now as it concerns the fanbase. I'm sorry but I disagree with much of what you're saying. They still have the largest support in the city and one of the largest supports in the nation now. It is still a team that is the most popular in the city even with the amount of mediocrity the past 20 years. Yes people in Dallas HATE Jerry. I'm a Cowboy fan and I hate Jerry. But that hasn't stopped me or people attending the games and selling out each game. They have led the league in attendance the last 5 years I believe in percentage and capacity. They are as loyal as any other fanbase even after 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, and 8-8 which has been the record the past four seasons. I don't expect the support to change and Jerry doesn't either. As far as the biggest fair weather fan, no way is that true. I could understand if the Cowboys started to become the most disliked franchise or unsupported team in the area. But even with the Rangers success and the Mavs success so far this decade, they are still solidly behind the Cowboys in support and popularity in DFW and always will be.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What about the New York Yankees?
Even the New York Yankees don't have even close the following in social media as the Lakers do. Last I checked the Lakers had like 20 million followers and the Yanks had like 5 million.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 PM

489 posts, read 911,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'd bet my paycheck that there are more 49er fans in SLC than Bronco fans. There are a lot of Bronco fans here, but I see wall to wall 49er gear everywhere I go. I see it here in my job, on cars, and many of the hobby groups I'm in. I go shopping and hat's shirts, they are represented well here. But I've also met more people not on facebook here than anywhere I've ever been. Back in Dallas, every one I knew was on Facebook. here in SLC, it's the opposite.
When I lived in SLC, which wasn't too long ago, it was pretty much far and away Niners fans, left over from the Steve Young days. Possibly now, younger generations have started following the Broncos since Peyton got there....

Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
In Miami there is a clear winner.
HEAT............ Dolphins.........Hurricanes........Marlins........ ....................Panthers.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 24,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Redskins FTW!!!!

Wow, I knew the Dogboys' empire was big but not THAT big....

And lol, looks like nobody except a small part of Long Island cares about the Jets.

I'm also surprised that Eastern North Carolina doesn't have a more visible shade of Burgundy since there's a large following of Redskins fans down there, even our network/radio has decent viewership in that part of NC. Of course, the Panthers have a growing clout throughout that state, especially after last year.

Also, the other teams that hail from the DMV are the on-fire Wizards, the Nationals, DC United, and the Capitols for NBA, MLB, MLS, and NHL respectively
I don't know how they got their results in E NC. My father and I went to a bar to watch football at the Outer Banks because the Redskins are the local team. Although he went against the hometown Skins (which was all of NC before the Panthers came) and liked Dan Marino, he became a Panthers fan. I take from my mother's side and root Giants. The Giants were playing the Skins opening week (this was their 2011 super bowl year) and Hurricane Irene made our cable spotty so it was the best option for both of us.

...we were the only people in the bar not pulling for Washington. I can also attest that Tarboro/Rocky Mount and east, as well as all the OBX down to around Topsail is Redskins and Orioles; the Hampton Roads viewing area carries MESN. Nobody who has watched baseball longer than ten years is a Nats fan.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 PM

178 posts, read 175,363 times
This is easy here id say cubs/bears, bulls, blackhawks, sox

Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
For Philly it's most likely

Eagles.......Phillies.......Flyers.......76ers.......Union

Old 10-26-2015, 11:02 AM

750 posts, read 741,038 times
Hmm... Clark County, Washington is solidly Blazers, Seahawks, and Mariners territory. It wasn't on this list but I would throw in Oregon Ducks and the Portland Timbers as well. The Portland/Oregon affiliation fades away when you go more than an hour north of here, but Clark County is Portlandia. It's a similar dynamic to northwestern Indiana being purely Chicago territory on any given sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City