Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 PM

854 posts, read 1,485,495 times

Advertisements

What cities would you say have the best transit in the country? It seems like aside from New York, Boston and maybe a couple others most cities have abysmal to adequate at best transport. Even cities that are constantly cited as having "Great transit" like Portland are in actuality just OK.

With that said I find Los Angeles a bit underrated in this regard. Its transit system is hardly great, but it's good enough that I was able to get around Hollywood, Santa Monica etc when I went there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 PM

10,763 posts, read 23,877,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Even cities that are constantly cited as having "Great transit" like Portland are in actuality just OK.
Well Portland obviously isn't in the ranks of Boston or DC in terms of transit. What makes Portland's transit great is its remarkably expansive coverage for a medium sized metro of just over 2 million. That paired up with many walkable areas and a nice downtown I think it does well above average for a city of its size and stature.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:56 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,425,001 times
NYC, Chi, DC, Boston, SF, Philly, LA...then most of the rest.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:58 PM

895 posts, read 1,242,345 times
This is a other topic beat to death...

NYC
Chicago
LA
San Francisco
Seattle
Dallas
Atlanta
Philadelphia
DC

Yada yada

Old 05-20-2014, 06:58 PM

317 posts, read 379,173 times
There is literally like over a dozen threads on this already.

Doesn't repetitive threads ever end on city vs. city?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:08 PM

854 posts, read 1,485,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well Portland obviously isn't in the ranks of Boston or DC in terms of transit. What makes Portland's transit great is its remarkably expansive coverage for a medium sized metro of just over 2 million. That paired up with many walkable areas and a nice downtown I think it does well above average for a city of its size and stature.
2 million is pretty large though. I think Portland gets its reputation from the MAX light rail, which is a money waster and very slow.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,231,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post

Nope.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,209,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post

Welcome to the...........Twilight Zone!
que thunder and lightening sounds.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 PM

10,763 posts, read 23,877,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
2 million is pretty large though. I think Portland gets its reputation from the MAX light rail, which is a money waster and very slow.
Slow yes, I'd agree it does an annoying block to block crawl through downtown, but with the street cars and MAX service getting into the city easy and efficient. Money waster is just an opinion, I'm pretty sure Portland is a better and more prosperous city due to its infrastructure in place.

Let's compare its peer metro areas say between 2 and 2.5 million. In this tier level, I'd put it at the top.

Columbus
Las Vegas
Kansas City
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Sacramento
Orlando
San Antonio
Portland
Charlotte
Pittsburgh

But yeah, I do have to agree the choo choo crawl through downtown takes it down a few notches. But I digress. Back on topic, Portland is not in the top 10. I'll give you that.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:39 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
This is a other topic beat to death...

NYC
Chicago
LA
San Francisco
Seattle
Dallas
Atlanta
Philadelphia
DC

Yada yada
Take Dallas out. It is not in the top 10. It's getting better but it's not up there with Philly or even Atlanta much less DC or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City