Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should we Concentrate our Memorial Day Weekend 2015 Vacation Efforts?
Stay in/near Savannah, GA 32 34.41%
Stay in/near Charleston, SC 40 43.01%
Stay in/near Walterboro, SC and Visit BOTH Cities 21 22.58%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Why not just spend a couple of days in one a couple in the other? You're driving after all. We've done it more than once and it works out fine; I never felt rushed at all and pretty much get to see what I want. Besides, if you have to truck back to Walterboro every night you're going to miss the nightlife that each city affords.
If you're booking a hotel in either, make sure they have concierge service. They are invaluable if you're not familiar with a city.
I agree with this. I think staying in the middle is the worst idea. Stay in Charleston a couple of nights, enjoy a mini-bottle or two, then head to Savannah for a couple of nights and get some more generous pours. Spend your evenings out and having fun instead of driving out of town each night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I agree with this. I think staying in the middle is the worst idea. Stay in Charleston a couple of nights, enjoy a mini-bottle or two, then head to Savannah for a couple of nights and get some more generous pours. Spend your evenings out and having fun instead of driving out of town each night.
I suppose we're just not big drinkers, really, and would prefer better dining experiences. The thought of getting buzzed while walking around Savannah drinking a frozen margarita sounds divine, but I sober up quickly and would have no trouble driving an hour back to a hotel at the end of the day if it means spending half as much per night on a hotel room and having more to spend on dining out.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:04 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I suppose we're just not big drinkers, really, and would prefer better dining experiences. The thought of getting buzzed while walking around Savannah drinking a frozen margarita sounds divine, but I sober up quickly and would have no trouble driving an hour back to a hotel at the end of the day if it means spending half as much per night on a hotel room and having more to spend on dining out.
Savannah's food scene, IMO, is every bit as good as Charleston. You have been brainwashed in to thinking that it isn't.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
http://www.savannahcitymarket.com/im...ast%20tiny.jpg

http://ratraceescaped.files.wordpres...207-083036.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QzUvKLjhLY...0/IMG_6443.JPG

http://savannah.for91days.com/wp-con.../cup-to-go.jpg

http://www.zerve.com/uploads/91/42/3...x852.jpg?29819

http://www.zerve.com/uploads/01/3c/6...x852.jpg?29817

Old 06-02-2014, 02:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Also to the OP ... I think you'll get a world of information out of this:

BRO Leaves Town: Savannah Georgia, WOW! WOW! WOW! | Buffalo Rising

Old 06-02-2014, 03:52 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Savannah's food scene, IMO, is every bit as good as Charleston. You have been brainwashed in to thinking that it isn't.
Even folks from Savannah can admit that Charleston is ahead when it comes to cuisine. Check out the italicized quote in post #29. That, however, doesn't mean that Savannah's is subpar because it's not. Charleston does some things better like cuisine, and Savannah does some things better like nightlife.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,113 times
Yes, Charleston is ahead in fine dining; it has more *starred* restaurants, and chefs have gravitated to Charleston for decades longer. But for ordinary food, on ordinary visitors' budgets (soul food, seafood, southern fare or national fare), Savannah is as good as Charleston.

Some here are trying to discount and minimize Savannah's newfound dynamism, and that's mistaken. Charleston has had a tourist industry since the end of the Civil War -- the 1870s. Savannah's didn't really begin till a century later, the 1970s. Savannah naturally looks to Charleston for guidance (Savannah turned down a cruise-ship terminal because of Charleston's mixed record with its own cruise terminal). Today, Savannah has just about caught up with Charleston in national name recognition and historic prestige. While Savannah is smaller and there's nothing like a Spoleto Festival there (not yet), it has advanced on other fronts. The Port of Savannah has passed the Port of Charleston in total tonnage and cutting-edge port facilities. Much of the credit for this goes to the Georgia Ports Authority and being in a wealthier state with Atlanta as its economic engine, but to think that shippers would begin to favor Savannah, with its narrow shipping channel and smaller population, to Charleston, with its open harbor, naval base, and larger economy, proves Savannah's muscular ambitions. It will pass Charleston, in tourism and prestige. Not detracting from C-town; it's a wonderful city, but Savannah's momentum is stronger.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Yes, Charleston is ahead in fine dining; it has more *starred* restaurants, and chefs have gravitated to Charleston for decades longer. But for ordinary food, on ordinary visitors' budgets (soul food, seafood, southern fare or national fare), Savannah is as good as Charleston.

Some here are trying to discount and minimize Savannah's newfound dynamism, and that's mistaken. Charleston has had a tourist industry since the end of the Civil War -- the 1870s. Savannah's didn't really begin till a century later, the 1970s. Savannah naturally looks to Charleston for guidance (Savannah turned down a cruise-ship terminal because of Charleston's mixed record with its own cruise terminal). Today, Savannah has just about caught up with Charleston in national name recognition and historic prestige. While Savannah is smaller and there's nothing like a Spoleto Festival there (not yet), it has advanced on other fronts. The Port of Savannah has passed the Port of Charleston in total tonnage and cutting-edge port facilities. Much of the credit for this goes to the Georgia Ports Authority and being in a wealthier state with Atlanta as its economic engine, but to think that shippers would begin to favor Savannah, with its narrow shipping channel and smaller population, to Charleston, with its open harbor, naval base, and larger economy, proves Savannah's muscular ambitions. It will pass Charleston, in tourism and prestige. Not detracting from C-town; it's a wonderful city, but Savannah's momentum is stronger.
How can you say for certain that Savannah will surpass Charleston in tourism and prestige? That's no more a given than Charleston remaining ahead. There are just too many variables that could change the trajectory of either or both cities at any given time.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,113 times
Trajectories can change, that's true. I am basing my assessment on how far Savannah has come since the 1970s. It's simply been a spectacular turnaround, and that's no exaggeration. Here in the Northeast, in 2014, both cities are seen as equals or near-equals. It wasn't near-equals 10 years ago, and there was absolutely no contest in the 1980s and 1990s (Charleston it was). It pretty much a toss-up now. That's what I mean by Savannah's dynamism and momentum. This could change, but what is happening now in Savannah's Historic District and adjacent neighborhoods is truly amazing.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Last time I was in Savannah I was riding bikes with friends and "discovered" the Victorian District.

As many times as I had been to Savannah ,I never really explored that part of the city nor knew of hits history.
I love how in Savannah you can actually see the changes throughout the decades of each era the more North you go.

Does Charleston have a similar area?Does it change like it does in Savaanah by era in design of the houses and neighborhods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City