Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should we Concentrate our Memorial Day Weekend 2015 Vacation Efforts?
Stay in/near Savannah, GA 32 34.41%
Stay in/near Charleston, SC 40 43.01%
Stay in/near Walterboro, SC and Visit BOTH Cities 21 22.58%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

I do apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed ad nauseum; however, while doing an advanced search I only found one other similar poll thread (which was locked) and then other polls that either compared just one of these cities with a city like New Orleans or pitted these two cities against other cities.

I'm thinking about visiting either Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA next year for our "big" vacation. We reside in Pittsburgh, PA and would prefer to drive round-trip to save on excessive airfare costs and airport security hassles.

We would probably be looking to do this on a long holiday weekend (maybe Memorial Day 2015). My partner and I would likely leave Pittsburgh Friday morning around 7 AM and would arrive in either Savannah or Charleston in the 5 PM-7 PM range (with Charleston being a bit closer).

Some considerations:

-My partner has already been to Charleston, although it's been many years. I've been to neither city.

-My best friend is currently vacationing in Hilton Head, SC with her fiance's family and took a day-trip yesterday from there to Savannah. She said Georgia has open container laws, which permitted she and her fellow travelers to stroll around the city while enjoying refreshing frozen margaritas. This sounds very appealing to me. Is South Carolina the same way? Pennsylvania has very Draconian alcohol-related regulations.

-We haven't ruled out extending the trip by a day and opting for a place centrally-located to both cities. We see there are cheap hotels right along I-95 near the town of Walterboro, SC, which would put us roughly one hour from either city, and the hotel rooms I'm sure would be much more reasonably-priced than they'd be in Savannah, Charleston, or Hilton Head. This would also put us at a bit of an advantage travel-wise, as Walterboro would be closer to drive back home on Monday (or Tuesday). Has anyone done this route before---stay in a place like Walterboro and then use it as "home base" to visit BOTH Charleston AND Savannah?

-I love historic architecture. I know I can find ample amounts of it in either city. I'm hoping for some good seafood and some good sweet tea. I'm sure I can find ample amounts of it in either city. My partner might like to hang out at an LGBT-friendly establishment on Saturday night of that weekend. Which city has better options for this? I would also be interested in visiting an aquarium (not mandatory) and/or a good maritime history museum. "Beach time" wouldn't be necessary, but if there was a good public-access beach near to either city (or within an hour's drive of a place like Walterboro, SC), then we'd be open to it.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but for right now which city would be better for tourists to visit, and why?! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
The two cities are reasonably close (1.5-2 hours apart), so if I were you, I'd split my time between both cities. I'm not sure if I'd opt to stay in Walterboro as a jumping place between both, especially since it would just be a place to sleep as there's little to nothing for a tourist to see there. But to answer your question, Charleston doesn't have open container laws. Savannah would be better for nightlife, Charleston would be better for cuisine, but neither is a slouch in either category. Charleston has an aquarium right on the peninsula downtown, and Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum is in the suburb of Mount Pleasant. Savannah has the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum in downtown and the University of Georgia operates an aquarium nearby but it may be closed if you come on a holiday weekend (it will be closed this weekend from the 24th-26th according to their website). Beaches are closer to Charleston with Folly Beach being the most popular, but are just a short drive from Savannah (e.g., Tybee Island).

I don't think you could go wrong in either and as I stated, would suggest doing both if time permits.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
You could stay in Beaufort, SC. Beautiful historic town. A little closer to Savannah than Charleston, but a lovely drive either way.

Savannah is more laid-back and funky than Charleston, with a very visible and lively gay community. Great nightlife and, as you've already noted, liberal alcohol laws.

Charleston is stuffier, and appeals to a more discriminating tourist market. It's known for having lots of very good (expensive) restaurants and upscale shopping.

You can't go wrong in either place, though. Depends on what you're in the mood for.

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-21-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
I agree with Newsboy. Stay in Beaufort. It's much more appealing and the drive is nicer.

Everything else just depends on your taste/what you like to do.

Both cities are definitely worth a visit!

Old 05-21-2014, 03:32 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,504 times
If you are in a party mood then Savannah is it..Very gay friendly, go see Lady Chablis. Charleston has a boring nightlife and is not that gay friendly.

Gay Savannah Guide - Gay Bars & Clubs, Hotels, Reviews and Maps - GayCities Savannah

Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,058,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You could stay in Beaufort, SC. Beautiful historic town. A little closer to Savannah than Charleston, but a lovely drive either way.

Savannah is more laid-back and funky than Charleston, with a very visible and lively gay community. Great nightlife and, as you've already noted, liberal alcohol laws.

Charleston is stuffier, and appeals to a more discriminating tourist market. It's known for having lots of very good (expensive) restaurants and upscale shopping.

You can't go wrong in either place, though. Depends on what you're in the mood for.
I would agree with staying in Beaufort if you want to see both, cities Beaufort being a nice little gem in itslef. I defintely wouldn't recommend Walterboro..nothing to see and a growing crime problem.

Charleston does have a lot of nice restaurants yet not all so expensive. But I would say it's also prettier and has more atmosphere being essentially a peninsula with nice views of the water everywhere and probably more lavish hisitoric homes. I would vist Charelston first and then see what happens..

Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 PM

I think they'll enjoy strolling and nightlife a little more in Savannah and will enjoy Charleston's cuisine and attractions a little more. Whichever they visit first, they should still visit the other.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 PM

145 posts, read 200,171 times
Personally I feel that trying to squeeze two great cities into one weekend has the potential to end up disappointing. Since your partner has already been to Charleston, I say you should devote this trip to Savannah and the two of you can enjoy a brand new experience together.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
Personally I feel that trying to squeeze two great cities into one weekend has the potential to end up disappointing. Since your partner has already been to Charleston, I say you should devote this trip to Savannah and the two of you can enjoy a brand new experience together.
Probably right.Good answer.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
It can easily be done since it would more than likely be a four-day holiday weekend; devote two days to one city and two to the other. Furthermore, the OP says that his partner visited Charleston several years ago. Depending on exactly how long ago that was, there's much more to experience in Charleston today compared to several years ago. It could have very well been before the aquarium, Waterfront Park, new retail on King, a slew of new restaurants, etc. and would be worth visiting again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City