Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you live in if you HAD to choose.
East St Louis 25 20.33%
Camden 98 79.67%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'd take East St. Louis, for at least a hundred reasons, the main one being that St. Louis is a hell of a lot nicer city then Philadelphia. And the climate. St. Louis doesn't have the inferiority complex of cities in the shadow of New York, and the false-pride overcompensation for it.

I can't see how they would be any worse than any other suburb of any other city, except they probably have better public transportation than most suburbs. But the cost of living would be high, since supermarket prices are always highly inflated in low-income suburbs (and, for a different reason, high-income suburbs).. And car insurance rates.
Have you even looked at the pictures of East St. Louis?

At least in Camden there are a few nice areas, in East St. Louis there ARE no nice areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
There are probably some changes since then, but here is some info on East St Louis with some pictures of neighborhoods: Built St. Louis | East St. Louis and Metro East

Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I've been in East St. Louis many times. Quite a bit of the city looks like any other suburb.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:06 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:

At least in Camden there are a few nice areas, in East St. Louis there ARE no nice areas.
That was from a self-styled ESL "expert" who believes it's safer there than Oshkosh, WI. You can pretty much ignore him on this subject, if you haven't done so already.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:07 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've been in East St. Louis many times. Quite a bit of the city looks like any other suburb.
In this case and many others, looks are often deceiving.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Man, both these towns look beat. But E. St. Louis looks like a ghost town. Just desolate. Worse than Detroit. At least with Camden there are still some remnants of what was once a solid little working class city.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Not really the best comparison.

Camden is in New Jersey, very close to New York City and some other very large metropolitan areas, also very close to a lot of destination spots. East St. Louis is not, the only thing it has going for it is St. Louis, other than that it's in a very rural area of the country.

A better comparison might have been Gary and East St. Louis. The whole proximity to New York City is what killed this poll.
I'm not a particular fan of East St. Louis by any means, but this post just seems off to me.

1. It's across the river from Philadelphia. This would be like going on about Chicago when you're talking about a ghetto in metro Milwaukee. NYC may be "close," but it's still nearly 100 miles away.

2. That argument can be applied to anywhere in the Midwest then, including Chicago. St. Louis is still within 300 miles of Chicago, Kansas City, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, and Indianapolis. There is nothing like the distances from Philly to NYC or Chicago to Milwaukee, but it's not isolated in rural nothingness either. EStL's location in the St. Louis metro isn't "very rural" either, or at least it didn't used to be. It's boxed in by downtown St. Louis and some fairly sizable Illinois suburbs St. Louis.

3. All three cities are ghettos located immediately across state lines from major cities. Camden actually works better than Gary because both are separated by rivers and both are across from much nicer areas of their anchoring cities. Gary doesn't share that same relationship with Chicago.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'm not a particular fan of East St. Louis by any means, but this post just seems off to me.

1. It's across the river from Philadelphia. This would be like going on about Chicago when you're talking about a ghetto in metro Milwaukee. NYC may be "close," but it's still nearly 100 miles away.

2. That argument can be applied to anywhere in the Midwest then, including Chicago. St. Louis is still within 300 miles of Chicago, Kansas City, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, and Indianapolis. There is nothing like the distances from Philly to NYC or Chicago to Milwaukee, but it's not isolated in rural nothingness either. EStL's location in the St. Louis metro isn't "very rural" either, or at least it didn't used to be. It's boxed in by downtown St. Louis and some fairly sizable Illinois suburbs St. Louis.

3. All three cities are ghettos located immediately across state lines from major cities. Camden actually works better than Gary because both are separated by rivers and both are across from much nicer areas of their anchoring cities. Gary doesn't share that same relationship with Chicago.
some decent points

But to me a couple of aspects. Camden (for as bad as it is) has some decent aspects and some areas where you can ride a 5-10 minute subway and be in DT Philly (or Haddonfield or Collingswood NJ both very nice actually). Professionals actually live there. The bones are in better shape. It has a sizable college and very good Hospital. Many bad aspects of Camden to

Also I am pretty sure Camden is much closer to both NYC and Baltimore than Milwaukee is to Chicago. I think Camden is like 50 from the closest NYC border (.5 from Center city Philadelphia), maybe like 70 from Baltimore.

Manhattan may be closer to 80 miles. DC may actually be closer to the Milwaukee to Chicago distance not totally sure

either way the Camden location to me is likely better, not because of NYC though

Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
some decent points

But to me a couple of aspects. Camden (for as bad as it is) has some decent aspects and some areas where you can ride a 5-10 minute subway and be in DT Philly (or Haddonfield or Collingswood NJ both very nice actually). Professionals actually live there. The bones are in better shape. It has a sizable college and very good Hospital. Many bad aspects of Camden to

Also I am pretty sure Camden is much closer to both NYC and Baltimore than Milwaukee is to Chicago. I think Camden is like 50 from the closest NYC border (.5 from Center city Philadelphia), maybe like 70 from Baltimore.

Manhattan may be closer to 80 miles. DC may actually be closer to the Milwaukee to Chicago distance not totally sure

either way the Camden location to me is likely better, not because of NYC though
Actually, not at all. Both cities are roughly 90 miles away in distance from each other. In fact, The far south part of Milwaukee is very near to the end of the Chicago metropolitan area.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
FWIW, the southern border of Milwaukee and the northern border of Chicago are about 65 miles apart. Downtown to downtown is 80 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City