Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regional friendliness
Northeast 20 19.23%
Southeast 31 29.81%
Midwest 41 39.42%
West Coast 12 11.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
The Midwest - Farmers daughters, very protective of family, charming in culture, generally nice and often laid back in demeanor.
You realize that farmers (and their families) equate to about 0.5% of the population of the Midwest, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 04:03 PM

304 posts, read 324,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
You realize that farmers (and their families) equate to about 0.5% of the population of the Midwest, right?

That's why I bolded the word stereotypes, because those are perceptions that some people hold. My attempt was to show how certain perceptions often are mischaracterized by pop culture, while others may or may not always be true.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:21 PM

304 posts, read 324,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
LMAO, Baltimore is NOT the Southeast! Alabama, Florida, GEORGIA ok

According to the US Census Maryland is considered in the South Atlantic region, and is classified as part of the overall south.

http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/.../us_regdiv.pdf

Old 05-25-2014, 04:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,706 times
The friendliest would be the Northeast, then the South, then the Midwest, then the West Coast.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:50 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
The friendliest would be the Northeast, then the South, then the Midwest, then the West Coast.
I love your sarcasm.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:54 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,473 times
The west coast is full of people who didn't like being friendly so they moved from the other regions.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
This is impossible to answer. I don't know why people insist on trying to discuss these types of topics when it should be obvious that every place has good and bad, nice and rude, outgoing and introverted, etc etc, people. There is no right (or wrong) answer because everywhere has friendly people - and everywhere has not so friendly people. Want to break it down any further than that, it depends on personal experiences and who you know, and there is always bias when answering based on those criteria.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is impossible to answer. I don't know why people insist on trying to discuss these types of topics when it should be obvious that every place has good and bad, nice and rude, outgoing and introverted, etc etc, people. There is no right (or wrong) answer because everywhere has friendly people - and everywhere has not so friendly people. Want to break it down any further than that, it depends on personal experiences and who you know, and there is always bias when answering based on those criteria.

Of course you can find a variety of people in any place. But there are some regions where attitudes are definitely different. For example you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who condones passive aggressiveness in the Northeast. But on the West Coast it's very common.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,232 times
It's tough to pick a region. However, I find the northern states to be a bit friendlier than the southern states.

From my travels I found people from New Jersey to be quite friendly and accommodating. Somehow I picture Hawaii being the least friendliest state.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:37 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Friendliest to strangers: The Deep South. Southern hospitality is second to none, but it's hard for outsiders to break into that culture.

Most likely to help someone in need: The Northeast. When I was living in Syracuse, I can't tell you how many people would pull over to offer me a ride whenever I was carrying groceries home in the snow. Northeasterners may have a cold exterior, but their heart is in the right place and they'll be there for you when you need them the most.

Easiest to make new acquaintances: The Midwest (WI, MN, ND, SD in particular). Just buy a pitcher of beer and you're good. People are friendly, open, and always happy to meet new people. Though, many Midwesterns already have well established circles of loyal friends, and it's often hard to truly be part of those circles unless you've known the people since kindergarten.

Easiest to make new friends: The West Coast. With it's laid-back vibe and high number of transplants there's no better place to actually form new friendships than the West. Though the car-centered culture leads to some rather unfriendly behavior on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City