Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No. There are only so many cities where you see that and NYC is generally not one of them.

Let's add some more objectivity to this. These are the numbers for Blacks (age 25 and over) with a college degree or higher by metro area.

New York - 490,575 (22.66%)
Washington, DC - 298,879 (30.87%)
Atlanta - 293,711 (27.06%)
Chicago - 202,853 (20.06%)
Houston - 156,993 (24.23%)
Los Angeles - 143,702 (24.39%)
Dallas - 141,587 (23.13%)
Philadelphia - 139,870 (18.03%)

As a black professional, you're not so concerned about statistics other than how many people like you exist in your metro. Compared to Atlanta or DC, the Black professional class in Philly or NYC is far more dispersed and far less cohesive. So you don't really have an equivalent of the more affluent sections of PG County, Dekalb or Cascade.
So what is SE Queens then(which extends really into parts of Valley Stream and Elmont) and in essence, wouldn't the higher total number be just as important? Don't get me wrong, as I've been to PG and DeKalb Counties, but given what is known about that chunk of Queens, in spite of stats, wouldn't that be a critical mass that one would point to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not even in Cheltenham or some of the Delaware County suburbs?
Cheltingham?LOL.Yeh right.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Cheltingham?LOL.Yeh right.
There are some middle areas of the towns, actually and the school district is actually pretty good. There are some working/lower middle class areas of Philly next to the town and even in the town itself, but there are solidly middle class areas with high Black percentages within the town. It is about 33% Black and the school district enrollment is about 50% Black.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-10-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
So what is SE Queens then(which extends really into parts of Valley Stream and Elmont) and in essence, wouldn't the higher total number be just as important? Don't get me wrong, as I've been to PG and DeKalb Counties, but given what is known about that chunk of Queens, in spite of stats, wouldn't that be a critical mass that one would point to?
SE Queens could be characterized as lower middle class or working/middle class (Addisleigh Park is a notable exception to the rule). A lot of first wave West Indians have replaced African Americans there. P.G. County (outside of the Beltway) is more solid middle class to upper middle class. There's really nothing in the NYC area like that. There are a few towns like Teaneck and Maplewood and maybe a few on Long Island, but most just have a black presence as opposed to being made up primarily of African Americans.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
SE Queens could be characterized as lower middle class or working/middle class (Addisleigh Park is a notable exception to the rule). A lot of first wave West Indians have replaced African Americans there. P.G. County (outside of the Beltway) is more solid middle class to upper middle class. There's really nothing in the NYC area like that. There are a few towns like Teaneck and Maplewood and maybe a few on Long Island, but most just have a black presence as opposed to being made up primarily of African Americans.
I know what you mean, as I have family that lived/live in PG County. Actually, Wheatley Heights and Lakeview on Long Island are mostly Black: Wheatley Heights, NY Population and Races
Wheatley Heights, NY

Lakeview, NY Population and Races
Lakeview, NY

and the mostly Black areas of many of these communities like this area of Baldwin, also on Long Island: Census Tract 412900 in Nassau County, New York are also mostly Black. So, sometimes the mostly Black areas in many of these diverse towns with higher Black percentages can be at least solidly middle class. Here's the Belmont Lake Park area of West Babylon: Census Tract 122502 in Suffolk County, New York

To bring this back on topic, here are such/similar areas in the Philly area: Census Tract 202202 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

Census Block Group 202402-4 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 025500 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
Census Block Group 025500-2 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
Census Block Group 025500-3 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-10-2014 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Are people really trying to argue that Philly is a better city for black professionals than Atlanta through sheer statistics? I can understand subjectively like having better transit or a more walkable city(Do most blacks really care about this like their white counterparts at this moment?).

Atlanta is one of the most educated metros and cities period, especially among the top 10 populated metros. Atlanta as a city is about 44% educated among the adult populous and the metro is still around 34% or so(don't quote me entirely on this). This is with blacks making up roughly 33% of the metro and as we know blacks are widely under educated as a group so that in itself is impressive for Atlanta and naturally should wield impressive stats for blacks here.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Are people really trying to argue that Philly is a better city for black professionals than Atlanta through sheer statistics? I can understand subjectively like having better transit or a more walkable city(Do most blacks really care about this like their white counterparts at this moment?).

Atlanta is one of the most educated metros and cities period, especially among the top 10 populated metros. Atlanta as a city is about 44% educated among the adult populous and the metro is still around 34% or so(don't quote me entirely on this). This is with blacks making up roughly 33% of the metro and as we know blacks are widely under educated as a group so that in itself is impressive for Atlanta and naturally should wield impressive stats for blacks here.
No argument....Just that they are there in concentrations and I actually think quite a few Black folks care about better transit and walkability, but it isn't displayed or verbalized in the same way or to the same degree as White counterparts.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-10-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
No argument....Just that they are there in concentrations and I actually think quite a few Black folks care about better transit and walkability, but it isn't displayed or verbalized in the same way or to the same degree as White counterparts.
I think most black people caremore about "value",What they can get for their money,More so than their white counterparts.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:46 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Here is the "Stuff Educated Black People Like" list. Atlanta satisfies nearly all criteria. There are some key differences between Young White Professionals ("YWPs") and Young Black Professionals ("YBPs").

Stuff Educated Black People Like

YWPs love old, charming architecture in walkable neighborhoods. YBPs love new construction (often in gated communities).

YWPs love Portland, San Francisco, Austin and NYC. YBPs love Atlanta, DC, Houston and NYC.

YWPs hate the suburbs. YBPs generally do not.

YWPs often have their parents subsidize their rent. YBPs often subsidize their parents rent.

YWPs dress up for formal events and dress down for informal events. YBPs dress up for formal events and dress up for informal events.

YWPs are obsessed with authenticity. YBPs know that authenticity is overrated.

YWPs do brunch. YBPs do brunch after the 11 o'clock service at [St.] [First] [Greater] ______ [Baptist] [A.M.E.] Church.

YWPs talk bad about lower class white people ("flyover country"). YBPs talk bad about lower class black people ("ratchets").

YWPs love coffee and craft brews. YBPs love hookah and Heineken.

YWPs do frats and sororities in college. YBPs do frats and sororities for life.

YWPs give their kids names like Zane and Luca. YBPs give their kids names like Madison and Taylor.

Guilt as charged. I don't care much for the suburbs though...and I didn't pledge, but I lol'd at everything on this list.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
We Educated Black People LOVE to give our children names that show that “we’ve arrived!” Names that won’t leave the teacher guessing where the accent should be. Names that don’t necessarily reveal the child’s race like Nina (often times followed by Simone), Melanie, Noah (many are huge fans), Drew, Aiden, Nile and Gavin. Gone is the day where Shaquan, De’Ja-nae and LaPonicah reign supreme.

Substitute Teacher - Key & Peele - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City