Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:16 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think most black people caremore about "value",What they can get for their money,More so than their white counterparts.
I think so too. It may be regional as well, as most Black folks outside of the South are in urban areas and it turn, may care about finding places to live with access to public transportation and/or services they can walk to.

Some may say that there are social reasons behind the difference too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think so too. It may be regional as well, as most Black folks outside of the South are in urban areas and it turn, may care about finding places to live with access to public transportation and/or services they can walk to.

Some may say that there are social reasons behind the difference too.
Nah, most middle class (Black) people that I know that have moved south from say NYC to somewhere like Atlanta, Houston, or DC by and large target moving to the suburbs. Why? Because they grew up living in places like the Bronx or Queens and had that dream of owning a big ass house in the burbs with slick car and it's something that is basically impossible to have where they came from even if they move to the burbs. Of course, this isn't a universal thing and they do have the option of having an urban middle class (filled with all the cliche things if they so choose it even in Atlanta or Houston.

It is quite interesting to me though how polar opposite the desires of White middle class people in their 30s are compared to everyone else of a different race of the same economic class right now.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Nah, most middle class (Black) people that I know that have moved south from say NYC to somewhere like Atlanta, Houston, or DC by and large target moving to the suburbs. Why? Because they grew up living in places like the Bronx or Queens and had that dream of owning a big ass house in the burbs with slick car and it's something that is basically impossible to have where they came from even if they move to the burbs. Of course, this isn't a universal thing and they do have the option of having an urban middle class (filled with all the cliche things if they so choose it even in Atlanta or Houston.

It is quite interesting to me though how polar opposite the desires of White middle class people in their 30s are compared to everyone else of a different race of the same economic class right now.
It is possible to do those things in suburbs in the major Northeastern metros, but density may be a factor in terms of property.

With the last portion of the post, I think this gets into the social aspect and I think it coincides with the "Green" movement, if you think about it.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
^It may also be the case that because blacks have historically been cheated by some realtors and housing policies that many are less willing to drop $350,000 on a tiny home with no land or parking in the city and would rather actually get the large home, backyard, 2 car garage, etc.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
^It may also be the case that because blacks have historically been cheated by some realtors and housing policies that many are less willing to drop $350,000 on a tiny home with no land or parking in the city and would rather actually get the large home, backyard, 2 car garage, etc.
Or they want to live the suburban dream they were cheated of in the 50s-90s. Now it seems like the trend is blacks moving to the suburbs and whites moving back to cities.

In Atlanta one can live the suburban dream right outside of Downtown. You can be in the middle of it all and still have a back yard and a pool and a two car garage. In Philly you're at least 30 mins out from Center City before you reach anything like that.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Or they want to live the suburban dream they were cheated of in the 50s-90s. Now it seems like the trend is blacks moving to the suburbs and whites moving back to cities.

In Atlanta one can live the suburban dream right outside of Downtown. You can be in the middle of it all and still have a back yard and a pool and a two car garage. In Philly you're at least 30 mins out from Center City before you reach anything like that.
Yep.I live a half mile from the Georgia Dome and Downtown and I have a front and backyard,I also live 3 blocks from a MARTA Subway station.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM

I think housing practices play a part, but they did everywhere. There is also the reality of Black people being more widespread in much of the Atlanta area historically. With Philly, many middle class Black people went to certain middle class urban neighborhoods or suburbs(in PA and NJ).

Old 06-10-2014, 04:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

Well, a lot of times, it's whites that are occupying those single family homes 'right outside downtown' especially in the more populated and dense Eastern neighborhoods.

Anyways, the 'suburbs' in Atlanta city proper are generally denser than those 20 miles out and the yards are way smaller. Basically, Los Angeles size yards. And you won't have a pool lol.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
It is possible to do those things in suburbs in the major Northeastern metros, but density may be a factor in terms of property.
While it is possible, it's not exactly realistic. At least not in suburbs surrounding NYC, Philadelphia, and Boston due to two big factors where the price of entry in to exclusive suburban towns/neighborhoods is limited to only upper tier of economic scale...aka 95% of all Black folks. Even in more modest suburban areas, the cost of entry is significantly higher than it is in places like DC, Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas and no where near the same return on the quality of housing, amenities and school districts.

Basically, if upwardly mobile Black folks want to have a higher standard of living in all regards, then those four metros offer the best options with DC and Atlanta being the cream of the crop. Sure, there other Northeast metros with a similar or even lower cost of living like Pittsburgh or Rochester or Providence, but they do not have the big city amenities YBPs want nor can they offer the cultural experience.

Quote:
With the last portion of the post, I think this gets into the social aspect and I think it coincides with the "Green" movement, if you think about it.
Well, I think any educated upwardly mobile Black person is fully aware of "green" issues and most likely agree with them. However, they do not put the same emphasis on sculpting their entire existence around it like their White counterparts.

Basically, those folks in my generation (people born in the 70s) were the first generation to have an actual shot at the "American dream" without any hinderances. Just because it's a bad thing to want amongst hipsters has no bearing on Black folks.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:25 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,043,147 times
I could see Atlanta having a strong argument for suburban living for a black family but the OP is a single. Being a single in an urban environment tends to dramatically trump suburban type environments. There are WAY more opportunities to fine tune a match who also tend to be more accessible (how exactly do you intend to accidentally strike up a conversation with those sitting at the stop light with you?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City