Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While it is possible, it's not exactly realistic. At least not in suburbs surrounding NYC, Philadelphia, and Boston due to two big factors where the price of entry in to exclusive suburban towns/neighborhoods is limited to only upper tier of economic scale...aka 95% of all Black folks. Even in more modest suburban areas, the cost of entry is significantly higher than it is in places like DC, Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas and no where near the same return on the quality of housing, amenities and school districts.

Basically, if upwardly mobile Black folks want to have a higher standard of living in all regards, then those four metros offer the best options with DC and Atlanta being the cream of the crop. Sure, there other Northeast metros with a similar or even lower cost of living like Pittsburgh or Rochester or Providence, but they do not have the big city amenities YBPs want nor can they offer the cultural experience.

Well, I think any educated upwardly mobile Black person is fully aware of "green" issues and most likely agree with them. However, they do not put the same emphasis on sculpting their entire existence around it like their White counterparts.

Basically, those folks in my generation (people born in the 70s) were the first generation to have an actual shot at the "American dream" without any hinderances. Just because it's a bad thing to want amongst hipsters has no bearing on Black folks.
Actually, I already posted earlier some predominately Black suburban middle class neighborhoods in both the NYC and Philly areas that are in solid to good school districts.

Its funny you bring up Rochester, as my sister's family(which looks like the picture Bajan Yankee posted, but with 2 girls) live in a suburban area many Black middle class live in move to. While it is demographically more like the suburbs Mister X was talking about, you can tell there is a Black middle class there. There are some of those things in the area, but just not to the same degree. Harrisburg may actually be the affordable Northeastern metro that some middle class Black people may like, as the city is mostly Black and areas of the Susquehanna Township school district have high Black percentages along with parts of the Central Dauphin school district.

I totally agree with the second portion of your post and it explained what I was trying to say better than I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, I already posted earlier some predominately Black suburban middle class neighborhoods in both the NYC and Philly areas that are in solid to good school districts.
Not saying that it doesn't exist. I know that it does because my family is from NYC, with a lot of them living out in the black enclaves out in Long Island and Jersey.

Those areas however are no where near comparable to the scale of what surrounds DC or Atlanta and increasingly Houston and Charlotte. Not even close.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:04 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I could see Atlanta having a strong argument for suburban living for a black family but the OP is a single. Being a single in an urban environment tends to dramatically trump suburban type environments. There are WAY more opportunities to fine tune a match who also tend to be more accessible (how exactly do you intend to accidentally strike up a conversation with those sitting at the stop light with you?).
You do realize there are tons opportunities for an urban lifestyle in Atlanta too, right? Even a brand new high-rise or townhouse is half the price of what something comparable in Philly would be too. While obviously Philly is much more urban city, this is even something that Atlanta has more to offer in terms of those Black folks in higher income brackets. Let's not forget that a lot of the "Black oriented" entertainment amenities like bars, clubs, lounges, social clubs, etc are right in the middle of the city too.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Not saying that it doesn't exist. I know that it does because my family is from NYC, with a lot of them living out in the black enclaves out in Long Island and Jersey.

Those areas however are no where near comparable to the scale of what surrounds DC or Atlanta and increasingly Houston and Charlotte. Not even close.
I get and know that. All I'm saying is that they are up here, even if it isn't to the same degree or concentration(which is the difference more so than availability). If a person can find it or know that it is available, then the size may not matter as long as the specific area is of good/high quality. Basically what I'm saying is that if the OP likes the more urban character of Philadelphia, but later, wants to move to the suburbs when it is time to have a family, they don't necessarily have to leave the area to find a quality suburban area with a high Black percentage.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-11-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
It's not just about finding a suburban area with a high black percentage. There's just more opportunities, events, etc here in Atlanta for the average black person.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's not just about finding a suburban area with a high black percentage. There's just more opportunities, events, etc here in Atlanta for the average black person.
I get that, but are these things found in a much lesser degree in Philadelphia? I get average metro X, but is Atlanta(and 2 or 3 other metros)all we are relegated to in that regard? I'm not knocking these areas, but I'm more concerned about limitations, external and internal, if an area that is about 21% Black with a major city that is about 45% Black and 2 HBCU's, among other things, doesn't offer those things to good degree.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-11-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 03:11 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I get that, but are these things found in a much lesser degree in Philadelphia? I get average metro X, but is Atlanta(and 2 or 3 other metros)all we are relegated to in that regard? I'm not knocking these areas, but I'm more concerned about limitations, external and internal, if an area that is about 21% Black with a major city that is about 45% Black and 2 HBCU's, among other things, doesn't offer those things to good degree.
You would have to work a lot harder in Philly to find the things Atlanta or DC have to offer.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You would have to work a lot harder in Philly to find the things Atlanta or DC have to offer.
Do you think it is more about availability, a lack of exposure of those things or other factors?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think the bottom line is that most young black professionals want to be around other young black professionals. And a college degree is usually the minimum threshold for determining who is part of the professional class and who is not.

Atlanta offers way more opportunity for black professionals than Philly, which is why its black population has grown like gangbusters over the last 20 years or so. I believe that Atlanta and DC still have more black owned firms than any other metros. Some professional associations also post info on their demographics so you can get a sense of what the scene is like that way.

Aside from that, Atlanta just has way more going on in AA professional circles. If someone like Azealia Banks or John Legend goes on tour, they may do Philly, but they will probably hit Atlanta or DC multiple times (sometimes even having back to back shows).
Gotta try to go see her whenever she comes back to do a show in the DMV. I love Azealia Banks! Sexy as hell

Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Do you think it is more about availability, a lack of exposure of those things or other factors?
Well, there are fewer blacks in the Philadelphia area, a lower % of blacks, and far fewer professional blacks. The numbers simply aren't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City