Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It is quite interesting to me though how polar opposite the desires of White middle class people in their 30s are compared to everyone else of a different race of the same economic class right now.
This also translates into completely opposite fiscal priorities oftentimes. I think white urbanists, for example, often view public transportation as an urban engineering tool. Transportation is more or less a means of creating the ideal city. For blacks, on the other hand, the focus is usually much more on social equity and economic justice. So if you've got $500 million in the city coffers earmarked for transit projects, you'll often see the first group pushing for sleek, European trams while the latter group pushes for the upgrade and expansion of existing service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 PM

279 posts, read 461,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic1 View Post
Hi all! So I have been applying to jobs in several cities and thus far, the best offers I've received are in ATL and Philly. Both are great facilities and would be a great learning opportunity for me. I am a single african american female. I really value education and like minded individuals. I know ATL has this type of population BUT I really love urban walkable cities...and ATL doesn't have this. I was hoping anyone could weigh in on which city they think would be best for me given I'm looking for:

1. Vibrant fast pace
2. Walkable
3. Good transportation
4. Educated population
5. Events and concerts
6. Good nightlife

Thank you so much anyone that can help. I have until monday to make up my mind

1. Philly

2. Philly, absolutely. Atlanta can't touch Philly in this category

3. Philly, again this is not even close

4. This might be a tie, I know Atlanta has a lot of well-educated blacks, but........Philly has an Ivy League school. And there are a decent number of blacks there, at least compared to other Ivies. Philly does not, in my opinion, lack black professionals although admittedly it isn't a "mecca" like DC or Atlanta. Atlanta might win this one, but just barely

5. I know Atlanta has a lot to offer in this regard, but Philly holds its own for sure...........and whatever can't be found in Philly can be found in NYC 1.5 - 2 hours up the road. Also, you have a beach within a 90 minute drive. Certainly not the case in Atlanta. I pick Philly if for no other reason than the fact that you just can't beat living smack dab in the middle of the Northeast corridor for nightlife, dating, etc.

6. Possibly a tie.............kind of depends on what your scene is or what you're looking for.

Throw in your comments about loving walkable, urban cities, and yeah - Philly is the clear winner in my opinion. I think Philly is even more walkable than NYC or DC. Possibly the only city that could truly compete with Philly for walkability in the U.S. is San Francisco, but Philly is wayyyyyyyyyyy more affordable than SF.

Last edited by White Wine; 06-12-2014 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 01:57 PM

292 posts, read 703,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yep.I live a half mile from the Georgia Dome and Downtown and I have a front and backyard,I also live 3 blocks from a MARTA Subway station.
How is Marta now? I remember when I was there, it wasn't a 24 hour service but it was very nice to use and very easy to understand.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:04 PM

292 posts, read 703,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
1. Philly

2. Philly, absolutely. Atlanta can't touch Philly in this category

3. Philly, again this is not even close

4. This might be a tie, I know Atlanta has a lot of well-educated blacks, but........Philly has an Ivy League school. And there are a decent number of blacks there, at least compared to other Ivies. Philly does not, in my opinion, lack black professionals although admittedly it isn't a "mecca" like DC or Atlanta. Atlanta might win this one, but just barely

5. I know Atlanta has a lot to offer in this regard, but Philly holds its own for sure...........and whatever can't be found in Philly can be found in NYC 1.5 - 2 hours up the road. Also, you have a beach within a 90 minute drive. Certainly not the case in Atlanta. I pick Philly if for no other reason than the fact that you just can't beat living smack dab in the middle of the Northeast corridor for nightlife, dating, etc.

6. Possibly a tie.............kind of depends on what your scene is or what you're looking for.

Throw in your comments about loving walkable, urban cities, and yeah - Philly is the clear winner in my opinion. I think Philly is even more walkable than NYC or DC. Possibly the only city that could truly compete with Philly for walkability in the U.S. is San Francisco, but Philly is wayyyyyyyyyyy more affordable than SF.
Lol, I think Philly in your opinion was going to win regardless of the pros and cons.

I always used to compare the big metropolitan areas and then I realized they are all different and unique. NYC is cool but I do feel everyone focuses on Manhattan and now Brooklyn is up there in the front line. They are both cool but you have to know what you are looking for. None of these cities are going to be the same especially because of stats, population, etc or any measurable data that you can think of. In terms of opportunities, nightlife, Transportation, school systems, or eateries are all subjective. It depends on what that individual is looking for.

I do have relocation plans in the future because I cannot afford NYC property but I do want to stay close to family so I was considering PA or NJ.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:00 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Atlanta easily.

It is a Mecca for young black professionals and entrepreneurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City