Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 7,436 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I live in Lakewood (right next door to Cleveland proper), which has been ranked as one of the coolest small cities to live in recently by a few national media outlets. I love it here, but really can't stand the winter or predominantly overcast skies anymore. I also detest the humidity. I am someone who loves outdoor stuff (kayaking and hiking mostly) and counterculture. I am an experimental audio/visual artist and an intellectual.

Cleveland has Lake Erie, many rivers and great protected hikeable, bikeable, wilderness. Culturally, it has art galleries, great museums and lots of dive bars and venues for all kinds of music.

I know Sacramento has a river, and the natural splendor which can't be found in the city proper or the surrounding suburbs can be attained within a few hours' drive.

What I don't know much about Sacramento is it's underground, subcultures or people in general.

I am really interested in getting the perspectives of those who are familiar with Sacramento and especially those who can compare it against the attributes of Cleveland that I'm into, which I've laid out.

I'm originally from Bay Area and have long desired to move back to that region. Because of cost of living, I am strongly considering Sacramento. Any light that can be shed on safe and cool surrounding cities would be appreciated as well.

Thanks much!

Last edited by JakeIsle; 06-08-2014 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,797 times
Well like many places Sacramento is a mix. From what you stated it would be best to live in midtown. It is the most walkable area, with lots of bars, restaurants, and galleries. I don't know enough about Cleveland to compare. But as far as small towns nearby to consider, the one I think you may like is Davis which is a small, bike friendly college town. Most of the rest of the suburbs are very family-oriented and sprawly.

For outdoorsy stuff Sacramento is great. The American River parkway goes for like 30 miles I believe with bike trails all along the river. You are very close to the ocean, the Sierras, the redwoods, etc, etc.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 7,436 times
Thanks so much for the info! It really helps!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
I'm sorry, but Sacramento blows Cleveland out of the water, especially in terms of weather, scenery, nearby destinations, culture, safety, road/freeway quality, future economic relevance, etc.

Consistent with West Coast cities, Sacramento has a counterculture element to it--more nature lovers, hippies, artists, etc. Just a more humane, creative, open-minded place overall.

I went to Cleveland once, and I have zero desire to EVER go again. In fact, I'd like my money back. Just a very bleak city overall.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 AM

3,414 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I'm sorry, but Sacramento blows Cleveland out of the water, especially in terms of weather, scenery, nearby destinations, culture, safety, road/freeway quality, future economic relevance, etc.

Consistent with West Coast cities, Sacramento has a counterculture element to it--more nature lovers, hippies, artists, etc. Just a more humane, creative, open-minded place overall.

I went to Cleveland once, and I have zero desire to EVER go again. In fact, I'd like my money back. Just a very bleak city overall.
That's just what I would expect from a superficial Californian (see I can stereotype too). You take one look at a place, don't dig into its fabric to find what makes it special and unique, and judge it based on how it looks.

Cleveland is a metro of over 2 million, it has every type of person and anything you could want in a city. We have a great lake, a national park, 20,000 acres of metroparks, artsy neighborhoods, great restaurants, WAY more culture than Sacramento (Playhouse Square, Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Orchestra are all leaps and bounds above anything that Sacramento can offer), more economic relevance than Sacramento ($92.9 Billion GDP for Sac vs $134 Billion for Cleve), more nearby destinations, we are within a 500 mile radius of 50% of the US population. Cleveland is a great city that is seeing Billions of dollars in investment and has a great future. By all means stay in California, but no one's giving your money back for you not taking advantage of the opportunity to see what a cool city this is.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 06-10-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
That's just what I would expect from a superficial Californian (see I can stereotype too). You take one look at a place, don't dig into its fabric to find what makes it special and unique, and judge it based on how it looks.

Cleveland is a metro of over 2 million, it has every type of person and anything you could want in a city. We have a great lake, a national park, 20,000 acres of metroparks, artsy neighborhoods, great restaurants, WAY more culture than Sacramento (Playhouse Square, Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Orchestra are all leaps and bounds above anything that Sacramento can offer), more economic relevance than Sacramento ($92.9 Billion GDP for Sac vs $134 Billion for Cleve), more nearby destinations, we are within a 500 mile radius of 50% of the US population. Cleveland is a great city that is seeing Billions of dollars in investment and has a great future. By all means stay in California, but no one's giving your money back for you not taking advantage of the opportunity to see what a cool city this is.
Haha, I'm originally from RI, and I've lived in FL, TX, GA, CA, and AZ--not really a Californian, per se, but I'll take it! Who wouldn't?!

Old 06-10-2014, 12:48 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post

Don't sweat about him/her/it. This person's responses are the same about FL, OH or any other place except CA. After he/she/it moves away from CA, the great Californication state (blah?) will fall into the same bucket of trash-talking as Cleveland.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeIsle View Post
Hey all,

I live in Lakewood (right next door to Cleveland proper), which has been ranked as one of the coolest small cities to live in recently by a few national media outlets. I love it here, but really can't stand the winter or predominantly overcast skies anymore. I also detest the humidity. I am someone who loves outdoor stuff (kayaking and hiking mostly) and counterculture. I am an experimental audio/visual artist and an intellectual.

Cleveland has Lake Erie, many rivers and great protected hikeable, bikeable, wilderness. Culturally, it has art galleries, great museums and lots of dive bars and venues for all kinds of music.

I know Sacramento has a river, and the natural splendor which can't be found in the city proper or the surrounding suburbs can be attained within a few hours' drive.

What I don't know much about Sacramento is it's underground, subcultures or people in general.

I am really interested in getting the perspectives of those who are familiar with Sacramento and especially those who can compare it against the attributes of Cleveland that I'm into, which I've laid out.

I'm originally from Bay Area and have long desired to move back to that region. Because of cost of living, I am strongly considering Sacramento. Any light that can be shed on safe and cool surrounding cities would be appreciated as well.

Thanks much!
I've lived in Sacramento for many many years, but I'm originally from San Diego, lived in LA(several areas), SF(mostly Russian Hill), and Tahoe, College in Glendale, UCLA, SAC State. I know California well and have family and friends up and down the state.

I love Sacramento! People:diverse, educated, humble, motivated, mix of liberal and conservative.

The larger Sacramento area has 2.5 million people, every subculture you may be looking for will be here.

Every cultural, ethnic, nationality is here. To name just a few: Bikers and Cyclists, Hmoung, Ukaranines, Vietmenese, black community, conservative white boys, strong theater community, Gays across the region with a large Gay District in town, great diverse restaurants and bars and clubs, you name it's here.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-10-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 08:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Sacramento is in the Sacramento Valley which is greener with way more larger trees, wetter, much cleaner air and water than the San Joaquin Valley.

Sacramento is not in the San Joaquin Valley. Culturally, Sacramento has as much or more in common with the Bay Area or LA, than with Fresno or Bakersfield.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:20 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,829 times
Sacramento by far. Cleveland offers more sports and has better architecture and cultural arts but Sacramento wins in every other category (weather, outdoor activities, location to other exciting places, diversity, restaurant and food scene).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City