Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs JAX
Atlanta 42 72.41%
Jacksonville 16 27.59%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM

32 posts, read 47,946 times

Advertisements

Alright guys I need some more help. My brother has found 2 jobs that are pretty much EXACTLY the same except for the location. One is in Atlanta and one is in Jacksonville, FL. He is stuck on making a decision. As I've said before he loves nightlife (mostly bars). He likes the fact that Jacksonville is close to the beach and has a HUGE river flowing through it. Then again, he likes the big city feel of Atlanta and all of it's amenities. He has also visited both cities a lot before in the past. He just can't decide! Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM

304 posts, read 325,100 times
I haven't been to Jacksonville, but have lived in Atlanta for about 15 years. If the jobs are basically the same, and I am guessing similar salaries in both cities when COA is factored in, I would probably choose Atlanta. But I have a hard time believing that the salaries would line up as equal. COA in the metro areas of both cities is probably going to be similar, but if your brother is wanting to live in the city limits, then Atlanta is probably going to cost more. People talk about Atlanta as being a cheap place to live, but that is really only in a few area of the burbs, and mostly the burbs south of the city. The burbs that surround the north Atlanta metro area are far from cheap, unless your brother plans to commute at least 25-30 miles from downtown. There are a lot of low income housing projects in downtown Atlanta that skew the numbers a bit, but any of the recently gentrified neighborhoods in midtown, such as Virginia Highland, Reynolds Town, or even Decatur (historic section off Ponce de Leon) are going to cost you big dollars for rent and/or a purchase, and you can forget about north end neighborhoods of Buckhead, Roswell, and Alpharetta.

Others can correct me here, but I would wager that neighborhoods around the city itself of Jacksonville are going to cost less and as you said you brother is closer to the beach, which seems to be a major selling point as something high on your brothers list as far quality of life goes. Either way commute times, better weather (at least year round), less crowded roads in general are all going to favor Jacksonville. But if your brother prefers a better mix of nightlife and more trendy neighborhoods, likely more diversified in general, Atlanta would come out ahead, maybe slightly.

If I were still young and starting out I would probably choose to live in one of the communities that is being supported by the belt line project here in Atlanta, because that is where the future of urban living is going to occur and where most of the future supported transit infrastructure is going, light rail, bike paths streetcars, etc. If Atlanta is appealing to your brother I would buy a house or condo along the belt line, do it now while rent/home prices are still on the low end (relatively speaking of course), because once this area becomes fully gentrified and restored you want be able to afford anything down the line.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:14 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
I've lived in both. City of Atlanta is more expensive than the City of Jacksonville (comparable closer in area), but it comes in different ways.

Top tier private school in Atlanta will costs you ~$20-23K/yr tuition whereas in Jax it's "only" $18-20K/yr. That's the difference rich people are paying for stuff. Top of the market housing, though, is more expensive in Jax. Oceanfront Atlantic Beach or certainly Ponte Vedra Beach are 1.5-3x Buckhead prices, whereas riverfront Jax is comparable to Buckhead prices, so there's a larger amount of nationally desirable retirement homes in NE FL. Gas will be more expensive in the City of Atlanta, as will all the little things. But I live in SF. Both of those cities are on the same cheap playing ground as far as I'm concerned. LoL

Golf in Jax >>>> Atlanta (country clubs in Atlanta don't have their golf courses remotely attached to the clubhouses and are considerably more expensive by a factor of 2-4x depending, and the friggin PGA is HQ'd in NE FL!)

However, all that being said, I would prefer Atlanta. It's far larger and cosmopolitan for the south, and it shows. You can't beat an airport that can provide direct flights anywhere, either. If you are young and single, there is NO question. Atlanta pays better, and it offers FAR more for singles. Tons more college grads, etc. (In Jax you will be an outsider if you didn't go to UF or FSU, and those schools are "prestigious" for the area with far more people having not even gone to college at all). FL in general is more "top" and "bottom". I wouldn't want to be middle class anywhere in that state.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:39 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
I'm no fan of Atlanta (lived there briefly in the mid-2000's and hated it), but Jacksonville is a pretty bleak city by comparison with very little to offer a young professional.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB79 View Post
As I've said before he loves nightlife (mostly bars). He likes the fact that Jacksonville is close to the beach and has a HUGE river flowing through it. Then again, he likes the big city feel of Atlanta and all of it's amenities. He has also visited both cities a lot before in the past. He just can't decide! Please help!
It really depends on whats most important. Nightlife and big city feel suggests Atlanta by a longshot. Beach and river are obviously only in Jacksonville. If both items are equal then I'd think Jax wins because at least there is some nightlife that exists, vs no opportunity for ocean/river in ATL. FWIW, living the bar/social/bachelor life in Jax is so cheap. You can have a nice, trendy, urban apt for far less than comparable in ATL. But that life in ATL, while more expensive, is also far more available and diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
However, all that being said, I would prefer Atlanta. It's far larger and cosmopolitan for the south, and it shows. You can't beat an airport that can provide direct flights anywhere, either. If you are young and single, there is NO question. Atlanta pays better, and it offers FAR more for singles. Tons more college grads, etc. (In Jax you will be an outsider if you didn't go to UF or FSU, and those schools are "prestigious" for the area with far more people having not even gone to college at all). FL in general is more "top" and "bottom". I wouldn't want to be middle class anywhere in that state.
I think this sums it up very nicely. Jacksonville is improving and presents a lot of opportunity for young people who want to be a part of that progression, but it's obviously not for everyone. Many people want to just experience a city before moving on and not really get involved in the city, and from that perspective I think most young professionals would pick ATL without hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I'm no fan of Atlanta (lived there briefly in the mid-2000's and hated it), but Jacksonville is a pretty bleak city by comparison with very little to offer a young professional.
On this front, I think Jax has improved exponentially in the last few years. It's all relative...and relative to many major cities Jax is far behind. But relative to where it was ten years ago, Jax is completely different.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:57 PM

106 posts, read 237,310 times
Jax has a lot of potential IMO. Would be nice to see that place explode.
Love the ocean and river there as well.

Last edited by dgreen; 06-11-2014 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Jacksonville is not exactly what people would think of when people think of business opportunities, but I guess there's some. Both cities have some sort of nightlife, and obviously as you said there's the beach in Jacksonville, so I'd have to say JAX for more things to do. Both cities have pretty crappy areas and communities, but at the same time I think ATL has some better neighborhoods than JAX. If he's going for business, I'd say ATL, but there's probably more things to do in JAX. I guess ATL.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
I've lived both places and far and away, Jacksonville is better.

Beaches, river, fresh seafood, it's a big town with a lot to do.

Even if it didn't have any of that and it was exactly the same as ATL, I'd pay to move to Jax because of the racism alone.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I've lived both places and far and away, Jacksonville is better.

Beaches, river, fresh seafood, it's a big town with a lot to do.

Even if it didn't have any of that and it was exactly the same as ATL, I'd pay to move to Jax because of the racism alone.
I'm guessing you're a white guy who experienced racism in Atlanta.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:51 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm guessing you're a white guy who experienced racism in Atlanta.

I'm a white chick, still experiencing it in Macon. Whites vs blacks all the time.

I grew up in Jax, and have now lived in this area for 15 years. I had no idea what racism was til I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City