Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What group of cities is the next era of major cities in the USA?
Austin-Nashville-Portland 19 21.35%
Charlotte-Raleigh-Miami 11 12.36%
Las Vegas-Phoenix-San Diego 11 12.36%
Pittsburgh-Detroit (comeback-rebirth)-Indianapolis 8 8.99%
New Orleans-Houston-Dallas 24 26.97%
Oklahoma City-St.Louis(rebirth)-Milwaukee 1 1.12%
Boise-Fargo-Seattle 5 5.62%
Some other combination...explain in comments 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

How you grouped Seattle with Boise and Fargo though.

How you left Denver off the list though.

How you randomly grouped Portland with Austin and Nashville though.

How you don't consider Dallas, Houston (especially Houston), and Seattle as major cities though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,163 times
Honestly, this poll is really nonsensical, illogical, and non sequitur. It's all over the place. No offense, OP, but it's just really arbitrary.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:26 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
I was just listing cities that I felt had the potential in the future to be the next "IT" cities. Now I'll admit I should of left out Fargo and out in Denver, and maybe taken out Boise for salt lake city but nothing I can do now. And by that I don't mean which citiy has the most current growth/construction (Austin) which helps but that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking out of the groups, regardless if the groupings make sense or not to you, which group has the best chance to be the next "NYC" or "CHICAGO" or "LA". Yes, Houston and Dallas are " bigger" cities, and yes Detroit, St Louis and Pittsburgh are "older cities" but those cities are not thought off in the same breathe as the 3 cities I mentioned. And just because they are older cities doesn't mean they can't become a sudden hub that draws people in and the cities experiences a rebirth boom. Quite possible. I voted for the first group. Why? Because I believe Austin has been booming for so long with little slowing. It has had the highest population growth in the country for years, best economy that barely budged during the recession, and the amount of new construction going on is staggering. I view Portland in similar terms. Its a hot city for young adults and has a great location between California and Seattle. It has good public transportation and I view it as a city similar to Austin in a lot of aspects. Nashville to me also has a lot going for it. I believe its another hot spot for young adult professionals to move to to start a career/family.

To be honest thinking about it for a second...I can see a sceaniaro where Austin burbs connect to San Antonio burbs....and even Austin to Waco and Waco to Dallas. I can see 35 being a huge connected giant. The way Houston is growing also its not impossible to see it expand so far west to merge into austin/San Antonio in the distant future. Who knows.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:11 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
so confused

Old 06-16-2014, 02:43 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
If your confused move along friend. I don't think any more I don't get it or on confused comments are doing much good. As to your Houston comment...don't know if it was directed at me but quite honestly Houston has little on Chicago. Look at the total land area that each has...and Chicago still has higher population with far less "city proper". So while Houston is booming it's not nearly on the same level. Public transportation in Houston is a joke, not walkable...doesn't feel super urban. Its getting there but not yet bud.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
I have nothing against Austin but I must be one of the only people who think Austin's days as a fast-growth city are numbered. I give it a 50% chance of maintaining it's current growth rate (absolute or percentage) over the next 10-15 years. My reasoning is fairly simple: traffic and other infrastructural deficits will cripple growth at some point.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I have nothing against Austin but I must be one of the only people who think Austin's days as a fast-growth city are numbered. I give it a 50% chance of maintaining it's current growth rate (absolute or percentage) over the next 10-15 years. My reasoning is fairly simple: traffic and other infrastructural deficits will cripple growth at some point.
IMO, this goes for all Sun Belt cities through their current methods of growth. Growth in Sun Belt metros is primarily suburban greenfield development rather than organized urban infill, meaning that it spreads out further and further and gobbles up more and more land. Eventually, infrastructure will reach a breaking point with the spaced-out development, and continuation of such development will no longer be feasible. Developers will thus have to focus their efforts in city cores and nearby areas rather than the fringes to continue to accommodate any and all growth. Thus, growth in Sun Belt metros will either shift gears or mitigate.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh would've been a better match.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 PM

71 posts, read 133,847 times
I won't comment on the pairings but I think the first group is just a monster group. Although I think Dallas and Houston have a lot to say about it..close call.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
I voted Charlotte-Raleigh-Miami because I'm a homer, but Charlotte and Raleigh have literally nothing in common with Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City