Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Urban Core?
Jacksonville 6 8.33%
Orlando 31 43.06%
St.Petersburg 12 16.67%
Tampa 23 31.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Excuses.. Peter O'Knight airport and McDill are just as close to DT Tampa. I'll take Tampa Bay as a whole. ORL for many is pretty much a place of theme parks.
Lol.. The federal government is not an "excuse" it is a reality, it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that government and red tape is one of the biggest reasons for things not getting done anywhere in the country, not just Orlando..

Your comparison to Tampa's downtown is a very poor example, its like comparing apples to oranges. The flight paths into Peter O'Knight and McDill are not anywhere near the Tampa downtown skyline so hence there is little to no impact. In addition, unlike Orlando which is land locked and surrounded by urban sprawl, Tampa has a MASSIVE natural body of water that serves as a natural limitless entryway for aviation into all area airports..

I will not even waste my time on commenting on your silly stereotypical statement that Orlando is only "pretty much a place of theme parks" Clearly you know very little about Orlando..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:25 PM

260 posts, read 299,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think downtown Jacksonville probably has the best bones of all four, but it's pretty dead. I'm always amazed at how cities that have less to work with have more vibrant cores than Jacksonville.

Downtown Jacksonville on a Sunday morning= about as dead as a Zombie Apocalypse.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:11 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,722 times
Jacksonville has a worse downtown than Detroit. How let that happen.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:25 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Jacksonville has a worse downtown than Detroit. How let that happen.
Years of white flight, cheap land, poor planning, automobile industry buying out and shutting down transit companies, consolidation (this factor is debatable), etc. Look at historic photos and video of downtown Jacksonville from the early to mid 20th century...it's reminiscent of NYC and other dense northern cities.

Things are rebounding, maybe not as quickly as we might hope but the progress is very noticeable and I imagine within ten years the urban core of Jax will completely shock anyone who saw it just five-ten years ago.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
Downtown Jacksonville on a Sunday morning= about as dead as a Zombie Apocalypse.
Well to be fair, plenty of downtowns that are otherwise vibrant are pretty sluggish on Sunday mornings, especially in the South.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 AM

571 posts, read 790,768 times
Tampa's "downtown" is pretty exclusively it's business district. South Tampa is where you have a lot of restaurants, bars, shops, nice housing.

St. Pete's downtown is one of the more underrated in the country. It's really walkable, with miles of waterfront parks, several great live music venues, distinct neighborhoods, cool architecture, a bunch of restaurants and bars. It's a fun town that's really beginning to gain a reputation as such. I wish I'd never moved away. And it's "gritty" and authentic for a Florida city.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Lol.. The federal government is not an "excuse" it is a reality, it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that government and red tape is one of the biggest reasons for things not getting done anywhere in the country, not just Orlando..

Your comparison to Tampa's downtown is a very poor example, its like comparing apples to oranges. The flight paths into Peter O'Knight and McDill are not anywhere near the Tampa downtown skyline so hence there is little to no impact. In addition, unlike Orlando which is land locked and surrounded by urban sprawl, Tampa has a MASSIVE natural body of water that serves as a natural limitless entryway for aviation into all area airports..

I will not even waste my time on commenting on your silly stereotypical statement that Orlando is only "pretty much a place of theme parks" Clearly you know very little about Orlando..
Actually there's one more airport in close proximity to DT Tampa(Tampa Executive Airport). Add TIA just a few miles a way and you see how DT Tampa is sandwiched in the middle. The Peter O'Knight airport has a runway right across DT Tampa(if you remember in 2002, a small plane crashed in one of the buildings in DT Tampa.) Clearly you know very little about Tampa too.

You can argue ORL is more than theme parks, but as I stated, whenever I make it to ORL, we strictly stay around Disney. There's few reasons for families (which is the bulk of visitors in OLR) to venture to downtown. Clubs and other entertainment options can be found in St Pete, the beaches and Ybor. Of course you will keep comparing DT ORL specifically to DT Tampa, even though Tampa Bay is so much more.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,426 times
Quote:
whenever I make it to ORL, we strictly stay around Disney
You just validated my point with this one sentence. I find it rather interesting that you feel so strongly that somehow Tampa/St. Pete is "so much more" but yet have you have never actually experienced the real Orlando where 2.5+ million residents actually live, work, and play to make a valid comparison and argument..

Old 06-27-2014, 02:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
You just validated my point with this one sentence. I find it rather interesting that you feel so strongly that somehow Tampa/St. Pete is "so much more" but yet have you have never actually experienced the real Orlando where 2.5+ million residents actually live, work, and play to make a valid comparison and argument..
I wrote Tampa Bay is "so much more", not just Tampa/St Pete. This area is a cluster of 4-5 major cities (4.4 million area). Metro ORL is a lot smaller and landlocked, as well as relies heavily on tourism(Tampa's No 1 industry is "Trade/Transportation and Utilities").

Actually, I've been almost everywhere in OLR(it's not bad but very touristy for my taste). Plus endless sprawl without a bay or ocean, it's a bit monotonous.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:16 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Excuses.. Peter O'Knight airport and McDill are just as close to DT Tampa. I'll take Tampa Bay as a whole. ORL for many is pretty much a place of theme parks.
Such a common misconception. The theme park component of Orlando is pretty much relegated to the far southwestern area of the greater metro. It has little to nothing to do with the city proper.
To a first time visitor, I think downtown Orlando and environs would be a very pleasant surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City