Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 PM

172 posts, read 291,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Oh please, there are not "hundreds" of food trucks in Seattle. The food truck scene is still in its infancy in Seattle, it has not yet exploded.
Thank you for clarifying this - the food truck scene in Seattle is improving but still lackluster in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:55 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Oh please, there are not "hundreds" of food trucks in Seattle. The food truck scene is still in its infancy in Seattle, it has not yet exploded.
So compared to Minneapolis or Pitsburgh Seattle has exploded . Have you been on Seattlefoodtruck.com and seen how many food trucks are in city ? Have you compared it to listings of food trucks in Minneapolis and Pitsburgh. Or are you just trolling I work the Fremont market on Sundays in Seattle I know there's 100s of food trucks in Seattle metro and over a hundred in Seattle alone . And I find very few listed in Minneapolis or Pitsburgh ?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
So compared to Minneapolis or Pitsburgh Seattle has exploded . Have you been on Seattlefoodtruck.com and seen how many food trucks are in city ? Have you compared it to listings of food trucks in Minneapolis and Pitsburgh. Or are you just trolling I work the Fremont market on Sundays in Seattle I know there's 100s of food trucks in Seattle metro and over a hundred in Seattle alone . And I find very few listed in Minneapolis or Pitsburgh ?
Please show me where on Seattlefoodtruck.com are there "hundreds" of food trucks in Seattle Proper. You're completely exaggerating the numbers in a lame boost against Minneapolis/Pittsburgh when it wasn't even the point. Now talk about who's really trolling here.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Is Seattle really known for a wealth of food trucks? When I first visited Portland, I was amazed at how many options there were in terms of food trucks. In Seattle, they are found occasionally but not really in spades like Portland.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Cost of living: Pittsburgh, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle.
(Pittsburgh has the lowest cost of living, and Seattle the most expensive. Minneapolis/St. Paul is in between.)

Quality of life: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle, Pittsburgh.
(All three are good, though Pittsburgh is still dealing with the aftermath of economic collapse a generation ago.)

Higher education (institutions): Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Pittsburgh has two sledgehammers; the other two cities each have only one.)

Higher education (population): Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Pittsburgh's younger population is about as well-educated as the other two cities, but its older population is undereducated in comparison.)

Skyline: Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Maybe I'm biased, but I like the variety of age and architecture in Pittsburgh's skyline. The other two are impressive, but too uniformly sleek and modern.)

Architecture: Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Seattle and Minneapolis/St. Paul don't seem to have any signature small-scale architecture, while Pittsburgh is part of the Mid-Atlantic rowhouse belt.)

Public transit: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle, Pittsburgh.
(Minneapolis/St. Paul has an extensive light rail system, and Seattle is trying to expand theirs. Pittsburgh has good ridership, but a lot of half-baked ideas.)

Food: Seattle, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Seattle has the widest variety of food, and Pittsburgh makes the best junk food in the United States. Minneapolis/St. Paul doesn't have iconic food to my knowledge.)

Music: Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh.
(As much as I enjoy Wiz Khalifa representing Pittsburgh, he's still not as influential as Prince or any of the Seattle "grunge" bands.)

Nightlife: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Seattle.
(From what I've heard, Minneapolis/St. Paul has some iconic nightclubs, but I love going out for beer and junk food at the bars in Pittsburgh. I don't know much about Seattle's nightlife.)

Where I'd live: Pittsburgh, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle.
(Pittsburgh is "home" to me, and Minneapolis/St. Paul isn't that far from extended family in Missouri. Seattle is just too far out of the way, and I'm leery of living near a subduction zone anyway.)

Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I was just in Seattle and if Seattle has more food trucks than Minneapolis, it's not by much. Also, it looked like downtown Seattle had about as many food trucks as downtown St. Paul.

Edit:
I was able to find how many food trucks are registered in Minneapolis and St. Paul - 87 in Minneapolis and about 100 in St. Paul. I don't really care how many are registered in each TC suburb.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
(Seattle has the widest variety of food, and Pittsburgh makes the best junk food in the United States. Minneapolis/St. Paul doesn't have iconic food to my knowledge.)
Minneapolis - St. Paul has a very underrated food scene that offers plenty of variety from expensive to decent, low priced food to locally grown. Furthermore, there is a growing ethnic mix that includes Ethiopian, Nepalese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Hmong, Vietnamese, Chinese, Lao, Mexican, Thai, etc...

I'm not the only one who thinks so:
Minneapolis/St. Paul ranked one of the '7 most underrated food cities in America
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/...rillist-nation

Minneapolis restaurant Sea Change named one of the Top 50 Restaurants Worth Traveling For
http://www.flipkey.com/blog/2014/02/...traveling-for/

Four Minneapolis restaurants on Urbanspoon's top 200 restaurant bars
http://www.urbanspoon.com/blog/161/U...rant-Bars.html

Several Minneapolis restaurant favorites make Zagat's 2014 list of 'America's top restaurants'
http://tcbmag.com/News/Recent-News/2...ities-Restaura

Minneapolis food truck Natedogs among 21 best in the nation
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/...rillist-nation

Ike's Food and Cocktails in MSP Airport is 8th best airport restaurant in the U.S.
http://www.successfulmeetings.com/Ev...?cid=eltrTop10

Target Field ranked one of the best in stadium food
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...stadium-food/5

Chef Shack (#10) and Vellee Deli (#84) among the U.S.'s best food trucks
http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...-2013?page=0,1

Food & Wine readers' picks for best burgers includes Matt's Bar
http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...gers#!slide=12

Best Italian Restaurants in the U.S.
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...s-in-the-us/11

Top 9 cities to live the Organic Foodie Lifestyle
http://www.organicauthority.com/food...anic-food.html

Last edited by YIMBY; 06-20-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 02:14 PM

116 posts, read 222,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Cost of living: Pittsburgh, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle.
(Pittsburgh has the lowest cost of living, and Seattle the most expensive. Minneapolis/St. Paul is in between.)

Quality of life: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle, Pittsburgh.
(All three are good, though Pittsburgh is still dealing with the aftermath of economic collapse a generation ago.)

Higher education (institutions): Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Pittsburgh has two sledgehammers; the other two cities each have only one.)

Higher education (population): Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Pittsburgh's younger population is about as well-educated as the other two cities, but its older population is undereducated in comparison.)

Skyline: Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Maybe I'm biased, but I like the variety of age and architecture in Pittsburgh's skyline. The other two are impressive, but too uniformly sleek and modern.)

Architecture: Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
(Seattle and Minneapolis/St. Paul don't seem to have any signature small-scale architecture, while Pittsburgh is part of the Mid-Atlantic rowhouse belt.)

Public transit: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle, Pittsburgh.
(Minneapolis/St. Paul has an extensive light rail system, and Seattle is trying to expand theirs. Pittsburgh has good ridership, but a lot of half-baked ideas.)

Music: Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh.
(As much as I enjoy Wiz Khalifa representing Pittsburgh, he's still not as influential as Prince or any of the Seattle "grunge" bands.)

Nightlife: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Seattle.
(From what I've heard, Minneapolis/St. Paul has some iconic nightclubs, but I love going out for beer and junk food at the bars in Pittsburgh. I don't know much about Seattle's nightlife.)

Where I'd live: Pittsburgh, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle.
(Pittsburgh is "home" to me, and Minneapolis/St. Paul isn't that far from extended family in Missouri. Seattle is just too far out of the way, and I'm leery of living near a subduction zone anyway.)
How does Minneapolis have an extensive Light Rail System? They only have one line and the ridership is similar to Seattle's one line. However, Seattle's Light Rail expansion plan is much more ambitious in scope, with subways and elevated lines. Also, Seattle has much higher bus ridership than Minneapolis.

As for Nightlife, I think these 3 cities are fairly equal, although Seattle has the most quantity and variety.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Here are some info I found on "the best food truck cities": 10 best cities for food trucks this summer

It lists both Minneapolis and Seattle, but boasts 150 trucks in Seattle (wow!) and only mentions 20 of Minneapolis', even though there are multiple sources that show many more than that (they DID mention those 20 stayed in the very DT core of the city). Still, a city where food trucks are out only half of the year (maybe) vs. a city where the weather is never very inclimate (Seattle) isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

P.S. I'm not sure how Chicago trucks stay out all year, as the article didn't mention that they "hibernated" during winter like Mpls trucks do.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
COL/QOL: Seattle is expensive, but the QOL is definitely high for those that can afford it. Pittsburgh is the cheapest, albeit with a relatively high QOL as well. Minneapolis sits pretty in the middle.
Urban amenities: Seattle, Pittsburgh/Minneapolis
Education (higher): Pittsburgh, Seattle/Minneapolis
Skyline: Seattle, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh (This one's close)
Architecture: Pittsburgh, Seattle/Minneapolis
Public Transit: Seattle, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh
Food: Seattle, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh
Music: Seattle, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh
Nightlife/Entertainment: Seattle, Minneapolis/Pittsburgh
Where you'd want to live overall: Any of them honestly

I like all of these cities. Pittsburgh has that old world charm (relatively speaking, it is the US) like many of the older Eastern cities, while Seattle is an "it" city currently. Minneapolis, like Seattle, is well educated and affluent. With the mountains and water in Seattle, the lakes in Minneapolis, and the hills in Pittsburgh, you can't lose really. If I had to rank them, I'd put Seattle in front, with a slight edge to Minneapolis over Pittsburgh.
For natural landscape both Pittsburgh and Minneapolis also each have three major river systems in their metros (a little closer together in Pittsburgh). However, I put my money on the St. Croix River east of Minneapolis being the most beautiful of those six rivers and have enjoyed it on visits there. For overall rankings I would say just too close to call here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City