Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
Salem is exciting around Halloween. But I've heard it gets annoying for people who live there. A month of constant crowds, and it really does get crowded.
I lived in Salem for two years, I loved October there and embraced that I was near the thick of all the activity. Yes there were complainers. Whah! Whah! . They wouldn't be showing up there if it wasn't fun. I thought the Festival of the Dead and Witches Halloween Ball were pretty cool. http://www.festivalofthedead.com/

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-17-2014 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
New York City from Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve. It is my absolute favorite time of year to be in the city, it has been since I can remember.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 PM

October/Halloween in Salem, Massachusetts..............

these are all my pics..

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-17-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 3,379 times
Christmas in New York is pure magic.
LA for 4th of July, particularly Venice, when June Gloom has just lifted.
October in San Francisco, the only time it's warm!
Fall in Bucks County, Thanksgiving in Philly.
New Years Eve, Sydney, hands down, if we're leaving the US.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
I think that may be one of the downs about moving to the south...I hope that the holidays down here don't seems so "like every other day"... I mean Chicago for example..thanksgiving had houses and neighborhoods packed with cars and people outside playing football...Halloween kids walking around trick or treating with the leaves turning colors and bon fire smelling the air...Christmas lights are up everywhere snow usually covering the ground...fourth of July fireworks going off all over...even months ahead of time. So far no fireworks here in Austin have been heard and even the firework stands arnt even open?
Ahh, your description of Thanksgiving, Christmas and Halloween are spot on (for both Chicago where I live now and Pittsburgh where I grew up). We went to my girlfriend's parents' place near Northbrook for Thanksgiving and the scene was just as you described!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:36 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
You can not beat NYC for Christmas, but I really loved Pittsburgh, PA and St. Charles, MO for Christmas

Huntington Beach, Ca is great for the 4th of July (but we also get an influx of Dbags from out of town that start trouble after the fireworks).

Thanksgiving is anywhere were your family and friends are...

NYC for New Years Eve, but First Night in Boston is a very good alternative.

Halloween, goes to the Capital District and Hudson Valley of New York

Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADude23 View Post
Christmas in New York is pure magic.
LA for 4th of July, particularly Venice, when June Gloom has just lifted.
October in San Francisco, the only time it's warm!
Fall in Bucks County, Thanksgiving in Philly.
New Years Eve, Sydney, hands down, if we're leaving the US.
fall is pretty gorgeous in Bucks County but am surprised for it to be called out or maybe you are the LA one from Bucks

Some quick images anyway

https://www.google.com/search?q=buck...w=1280&bih=899

https://www.google.com/search?q=buck...tival&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?q=buck...+fall&tbm=isch

Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 AM

In my experience, best way to enjoy 4th of July and fireworks displays is on a pleasurecraft boat. I had a fantastic 4th on a friend's boat on Lake Union in Seattle, my favorite so far.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:25 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Default My take

Washington D.C. for the Fourth of July, bands and fireworks are spectacular

New York for Thanksgiving, for the parade

Chicago for Christmas, Macy's /Marshall Fields eating under the Christmas tree, skating at Millenium Park and the German Christmas Village in Daley Plaza

St. Paddy's day in Boston and Chicago, dyed river and two parades

Easter, any place in the South where everything is in bloom and warm, and where Jesus is everywhere.

MLK day in Atlanta

Halloween in LA, where the candy is plentiful and the weather that time of year beautiful.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I wonder if cities in Quebec have much in the way of Mardi Gras festivities. I'd imagine it'd be pretty damn cold and that might be a bit of a damper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City