Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Jacksonville for a lovely single mom and kid?
Dallas 14 56.00%
Jacksonville 4 16.00%
There's Someplace Better 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM

7 posts, read 7,853 times

Advertisements

I've found related threads useful, but a bit outdated.

I'm weighing two job offers -- I expect both to become official within the next week or 2. One is located in JACKSONVILLE, the other in DALLAS. Comp package in Dallas likely to be more attractive, but I have a middle school child and really need an environment that's suitable for us.

I'm most interested in:

Excellent college prep schools or similarly-oriented public school system, with strong athletic and orchestra(string and piano) programs. The universe saw fit to make me the mother of an avid (more like rabid) hockey forward, so an opportunity for that sport is vey important, as are opportunities for golf, tennis, and his other love, sailing.

It's vital that we have a community open and welcoming to a single parent family...I'm a bit of a square peg in my current location given that 99% are smug country club going married couples. I haven't yet ventured back into a dating scene but I'm ready to do so. Social opportunities are important, as my family is in Colorado and we'd be leaving well-established social lives behind!

I'm a decently-paid mid-level professional at this point, so thankfully many communities will be within my reach. Having said that, I don't spend money just because I can. My savings have taken a hit in recent years and the more value I can get for my dollar, the better.

Relatives have contributed to the tuition toward our current private school, and that assistance would likely continue so private schools can be considered.

Thanks for any insights and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Dallas all day.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 PM

135 posts, read 179,702 times
Unless a brown-water beach, 25-cent beer night and .38 Special music are disproportionate levers for you, I cannot think of a single valid reason anyone in your shoes would chose Jacksonville over Dallas.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:38 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Jacksonville will be a bit cheaper, but probably only in correlation to the lower comp package so it's a push.

There are some excellent college prep schools in the public school system but the best one (Stanton) has no string or piano programs. The School for the Arts (Douglas Anderson), however, is a fairly strong school academically as well. That said, these are all magnet programs and the school system as a whole in Jacksonville's primary county is quite weak. Not to mention that those schools have little to no athletic legacy to speak of. Dallas has several top public schools in the country and likely is better overall...including orchestral and athletic programs. If private schools are an option then you can find some great options in Jax. Probably slightly cheaper than Dallas, too.

Hockey isn't very popular in the city amongst fans or youth participation. There is currently no minor league hockey team even. I'd imagine it's much more prevalent in Dallas.

Golf, tennis and sailing should all tilt heavily in Jacksonville's favor. The PGA headquarters and ATP Tour's North American headquarters are both located here, as is the World Golf Hall of Fame. Jacksonville has the second most golf courses in the country behind Myrtle Beach, and with the enormous St Johns River, Intracoastal Waterway, and Atlantic Ocean among the many bodies of water, sailing along with golf and tennis are year-round activities.

The social considerations should favor Dallas, being a much larger metro area.

Overall I think judging strictly by your list of criteria Dallas would be the safer bet. The only thing Jax has over Dallas is the COL and the particular sports that you mentioned. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
Unless a brown-water beach, 25-cent beer night and .38 Special music are disproportionate levers for you, I cannot think of a single valid reason anyone in your shoes would chose Jacksonville over Dallas.
Oh, please.
I was just visiting friends a couple of weekends ago in Ponte Vedra Beach and the water was anything but brown. Although I voted Dallas, Jacksonville has much more to offer than most realize.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
I never experienced Jacksonville water to be brown. I think Dallas is better for her though.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
All things being equal, seems like Dallas is the winner here.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, please.
I was just visiting friends a couple of weekends ago in Ponte Vedra Beach and the water was anything but brown. Although I voted Dallas, Jacksonville has much more to offer than most realize.
Me as well. Dallas offers a lot more but Jacksonville is constantly sold short on this site. It's a nice city that I've enjoyed a few times.

Jacksonville to Dallas is a hard comparison. The Dallas Metro Area, even without Fort Worth, is more than double the size of Jacksonville Metro are. DFW is more than 3x the size. It's like comparing Denver to Chicago.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,374,263 times
I love JAX, despise Dallas.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
I vote Jacksonville. Dallas is pricey, and they don't have a beach. Your kids will love being able to go to Disney World in just a couple hours. There is upscale shopping in Jax as well as a riverfront experience. Some nightlife, a good zoo, plenty of good restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City