Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 PM

342 posts, read 510,919 times

Advertisements

It's very obvious that Natnasci has never been to Honolulu.

Like her I am from Vancouver but definitely don't see Honolulu as typically American. Most Americans don't eat rice with every other meal. Based on her criteria Canada is just a carbon copy of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:14 PM

371 posts, read 454,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
This is what a South American ghetto looks like:

http://thecatholiccatalogue.com/wp-c..._lemonde-5.jpg

There's nowhere in Los Angeles that remotely looks like that.
Whenever I see photos like that of South American 'block' houses, I'm always reminded of the ones in San Francisco and its Southern suburb cities that look like that, if they were nicer, for the middle class and not impoverished.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...tography-1.jpg

http://www.dalycity.org/Assets/Desig.../dc_houses.jpg

Anyways, can someone explain what 'typically American', is? I was going to say San Francisco, because the super-liberalism, the healthier eating, better health system, happier attitude, less racial conflict, and famous architecture would make it the most non-American city (its a city of its own). But then, people throw things up like New York--which is the poster-city for AMERICAN--and I don't understand. Likely because America is too vast and different to make solid generalizations about it. So by American city, what do you mean, tropes like cowboy? Or non generic skyscrapers? What exactly is an 'American city?'

Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,567 times
NYC is the most american city there is. Ads everywhere

Old 07-03-2014, 05:51 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
NYC is the most american city there is. Ads everywhere
Have you been to NYC?

Most of NYC has very strict rules on advertising and billboards, which are relatively rare.

And I don't see how NYC is "the most american city". Most Americans don't own cars, don't have yards, and live in tenements or apartment buildings? Many New Yorkers never even get drivers licenses.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Do people wish cities in US were European or something? Because it seems if a city is non traditional American it gets high praise

Old 07-03-2014, 07:47 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Do people wish cities in US were European or something? Because it seems if a city is non traditional American it gets high praise
Im not really sure how an American city can be least typically American. I don't think any US city could truly be compared to European cities. Especially on account of age. But yes it seems as if being a typical American city is looked down upon according to this thread.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
It's the whole aspect about being different but "cool" at the same time - like back in high school.

Are you cool enough to be different? :-)

Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
People keep going back and forth about NYC being typical American or least but there has to be a consensus about whether NYC is unique or not ("unique New York"- Ron Burgundy). If NYC is truly unique than it's not typical, you can't have it both ways. I'd say NYC isn't representative of typical American cities.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
I still think the only two cities that remotely resemble anything in Europe are Boston and New Orleans. And still, these cities are pretty much solidly American.

I think people who aren't that well traveled don't realize how strikingly different this country is with its own solid culture that is entirely different than Europe.

The only parallels are with the US and Mexico in certain cities.

Flying from anywhere in Europe and stepping off into New York City will feel completely different and yes, you will feel like you are in America.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:43 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
NYC, LA, Miami all come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City