Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Starting over in Southern CA or Greater Denver?
CA, even with limited funds CA has more opportunities and employers prefer CA experience 0 0%
Denver, conserve finances and enjoy Denver's booming economy 16 100.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:57 PM

64 posts, read 67,026 times

Advertisements

A single white male, or anyone for that matter, would do better starting over in Southern California or in the Greater Denver area?

Seems to me it's the greater opportunities in Southern Cal v. the Denver lower cost of living. Southern Cal gregariousness and social scene v. the Denver libertarian mountain lifestyle.

You might think it obvious to build networking in CA for the economic powerhouse it is, but think about whether to take time out building some work experience in Denver before moving to CA is also a good idea. Sounds like a good question for someone with limited finances...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,603 times
Depends...what is the new field you are interested in? And are you literally starting over in that you have zero experience in your new field of choice?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
I can tell you that Orange County is not a good place for limited finances. Real estate costs are sky-high, salaries aren't higher than most places in the U.S., and the job market is so-so.

In OC you're basically paying a "sunshine tax" and "immigrant tax". The sunshine is self-explanatory, the immigrant concentration drives up the cost of everything because you have people happily paying outlandish costs (so places like Irvine have home prices around a million, despite average housing stock and not really anything that notable outside of a huge concentration of Chinese and good schools).

If you don't care about the sunshine, aren't rich, don't have family there, and aren't an immigrant trying to stay close to whatever ethnicity, OC isn't a logical place to live. It would be like moving to Manhattan and being indifferent to city life.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
If you have limited funds, then Denver is your answer.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I am in Flori-duh currently and yea I don't like it here (south flori-duh). I'm used to hot muggy weather and I look forward to the change.

I was concerned with furthering a career in hotels, HR, or contract analyst. Sure, there are plenty of those jobs in CO, but if I want to move to CA will I hurt the career by a stint in CO? I'm probably over-thinking this too much.

Any real job leads or other advice would be much appreciated.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 PM

546 posts, read 817,831 times
If you are young and have no kids, no major financial obligations then move to the place you like the best. If it is a toss up then go with Denver (lower cost of living, etc).

I voted for Denver by the way...but if your passion is the beach or something like that then f&* conventional wisdom and follow your passion.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
As someone who lived in South Florida for years before moving to Southern California, I can assure you that Denver would present much more of a shock to the system than LA/OC--much colder, very snowy, landlocked, relatively isolated in terms of location, etc.

I also find Denver to have somewhat of a "Middle-American" vibe. Perhaps this has something to do with its close proximity to the Midwest--I don't know--but the vibe I get in Denver is much different than that of either coast and even other Intermountain West cities such as Phoenix, SLC, and Boise. Basically, you can tell it's non-coastal, but not quite 100% Western. Surprised me, really.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:05 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,335 times
Can't get over the fact that Denver is kicking LA's & OC's arse huh? You sound like a broken record... blah.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
It's true that Denver looks and feel compeltely different from South Florida, but same goes for LA/OC.

I lived in Orange County and have spent lots of time in South Florida, and they aren't that similar, besides the sunshine. Different ethnic groups, different development patterns, different lifestyle.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
As someone who lived in South Florida for years before moving to Southern California, I can assure you that Denver would present much more of a shock to the system than LA/OC--much colder, very snowy, landlocked, relatively isolated in terms of location, etc.

I also find Denver to have somewhat of a "Middle-American" vibe. Perhaps this has something to do with its close proximity to the Midwest--I don't know--but the vibe I get in Denver is much different than that of either coast and even other Intermountain West cities such as Phoenix, SLC, and Boise. Basically, you can tell it's non-coastal, but not quite 100% Western. Surprised me, really.
If Denver is like Orlando I would go to CA. If however, as I believe, Denver is a libertarian haven then it would make sense for me as a progressive. You see my point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City