Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 02:54 PM

99 posts, read 310,158 times

Advertisements

Reading these posts I see their are simliar posts, but since everyones story is a little different, i wanted to reach out for some advise.

My wife and I are approaching 40 , have two small children and after years of window shopping looking to purchase our first home. We are hoping to qualify for an FHA loan.

Their are a few problems: While my wife makes $30k and job is fully on the books. I make about $40k with a small business but only show about $7k. Its not that I am trying to avoid taxes, its just my money comes from different people in drips and drabs and is almost impossible to document. This year i tried to doccument alot more,but my accountant wrote alot of expenses against it, and all of a sudden we are back with a $40k tax return.

Our last landlords took cash from us, so we dont have the check receipts.
Our credit is "okay" with a score of about 700 for my wife and about 640 for me.

One thing we do have is a steady savings. Usually in very small increments, but steady so we have a nice paper trail.

We are also realistic and looking for a small home, or co op that is around $100k.

Our invisible lease is about to expire and rent is outragous (we are in NYC area),plus from what I am told current landlords want even a higher credit criteria than purchasing!

I want to avoid housing, and as much as I love my family, living with them is not a good option.

Any help is greatly appreciated! For anything private you can PM me as well. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
my wife makes $30k
I ...only show about $7k.
Our last landlords took cash
Our credit is ...about 700 for my wife and about 640 for me.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Long story short... you're not getting a mortgage anytime soon.
To the degree that your modest income might qualify you for one of the several programs...
the undocumented cash will in all likely disqualify you.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM

99 posts, read 310,158 times
MrRational wrote:
To the degree that your modest income might qualify you for one of the several programs...
the undocumented cash will in all likely disqualify youte:

First off I appreciate your cutting to the point and honesty. IQuick question though: So my on the books income is supposingly just enough to squeek us through for an FHA loan for the 100k home. But then as you say, they disqualify me for undocumented cash. If we still have $40k on the books, and the down payment (excluding closing costs) is $3,500. why would they consider it undocumented? Even at $40k we would have no money saving that money, which we did....

Old 06-08-2012, 02:49 PM

92 posts, read 429,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
MrRational wrote:
the undocumented cash will in all likely disqualify youte:

First off I appreciate your cutting to the point and honesty. IQuick question though: So my on the books income is supposingly just enough to squeek us through for an FHA loan for the 100k home. But then as you say, they disqualify me for undocumented cash. If we still have $40k on the books, and the down payment (excluding closing costs) is $3,500. why would they consider it undocumented? Even at $40k we would have no money saving that money, which we did....
There are alot of things underwriters look at besides your cash reserves and income number. They usually want to see some form of paystubs, and the last 2-3 years of your tax returns for everyone on the loan (i.e you and your wife). It sounds like you only had your small business income recorded for this past year, which may raise a red flag. The Cash-only, invisible-lease landlord probably will not help your chances either, as they will want to get in touch with current and previous landlords to determine if pay your rent on time (so they know you can pay your mortgage on time). I'm not sure if they request any specific records from the landlords, but if they do, that might sink you.

I would talk to an actual lender to get their professional opinion. Look up a couple online (zillow is a good option) or via friends and tell them your situation. They will have a much better idea about your chances than anyone on this board (who isn't a lender).

Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Maybe consider only putting the wife on the loan? Would her income qualify? (but where the hell are you finding $100k condos in Ny? And have you added that condo fee into this equation?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages