Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the most dramatic change by 2020
Atlanta 20 10.93%
Boston 2 1.09%
Los Angeles 31 16.94%
Philadelphia 17 9.29%
Washington DC 12 6.56%
Seattle 15 8.20%
San Francisco 7 3.83%
New York 11 6.01%
Chicago 9 4.92%
Miami 10 5.46%
Dallas 10 5.46%
Houston 14 7.65%
Phoenix 13 7.10%
Minneapolis 7 3.83%
Charlotte 5 2.73%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times

Advertisements

The last few times we've gone to L.A. for a quick weekend we've taken the train and just stayed in downtown exploring the rapidly changing districts; taking in some time at museums by Union Station, Pershing Square/walking tours, Little Tokyo, L.A. Live, The Philharmonic- all on foot! And we'll be quite daring and take the bus to LACMA (so un-Southern Californian of us! Haha). It is quite something to not have a car and experience it like other great cities by walking and feel like there really is already a lot to it and also a sense of rapid transformation. We love L.A.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:05 AM

273 posts, read 323,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Manhattan is getting a Nordstrom, a Saks and a Barneys.
No. Manhattan is getting a Nordstrom. And I said FULL-SIZED. The Barneys at 7th Ave. and 17th Street will be tiny. Something like 50,000 - 60,000 square feet. If you want to count that as a "full-sized dept. store" fine. Personally I don't consider anything under 100k square feet to be a full-sized dept. store. Or even a dept. store at all really. Same with the Saks at Brookfield Place. WELL under 100,000 square feet. Not a FULL-SIZED dept. store. More like a "micro-dept. store".

The Nordstrom isn't even downtown either. It's in Midtown. The thread says DOWNTOWN. And I said DOWNTOWN. If we're including midtowns than that's a whole other discussion.

Quote:
the Saks is replacing an existing store
No. It's taking over PART of The Bay on Queen Street. But the Bay store will remain as well. So that is a net addition. There will be two dept. stores where there used to be just one. And no, Nordstrom is not replacing an existing store. The store it's replacing closed in February. It's replacing a FORMER store. An existing store would be a store still open in July 2014 (now).

Quote:
and Target isn't a department store.
It's a discount dept. store.

Quote:
the Saks is in brand new retail space (at Brookfield Place)
No. Brookfield Place is not a brand-new retail space at all. It's been there since the 1980s. It was previously called World Financial Center. They basically kicked out all (well, most) of the old tenants and are replacing them with new tenants. The Saks may be taking newly-configured retail space, but it is NOT newly constructed retail space. That whole complex was built in the 1980s. The only new space built is the atrium-like entrance from West Street and the new underground pedestrian tunnel connecting it to the WTC. The space Saks is taking has had retail tenants in it since the 1980s.

Quote:
an the Barneys is in a former museum (on 7th Ave. in Chelsea).
Tiny space. Well under 100k square feet. Not a "full-sized" dept. store in my book. And it's taking over the space that was filled by a similar store (Loehman's). Plus you don't get to say that the Saks in Toronto doesn't count since it's taking over existing space, and say that the Barney's at 7th Ave. and 17th Street does count, since it's also taking over existing space (a Loehmann's store).

Finally, it's not downtown. Downtown NYC has different definitions depending on the context, but even the most liberal definition puts it's northern border at 14th Street.

Quote:
There's also a large new Macys being built in the Bronx.
No. The thread is about which DOWNTOWN is changing the most, not which city is changing the most. The Macys being built in The Bronx is nowhere near any downtown.

Quote:
If you want to count places like Target, (which is kind of silly, IMO, what's next, WalMart?) there are around a half-dozen full-size urban Targets planned or u/c in NYC.
No. The thread is about DOWNTOWNS. The only Target in all of Manhattan is in East Harlem. It is nowhere near downtown. And there are none downtown planned. In fact, there are no additional Target stores planned for all of Manhattan.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 AM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Manhattan is getting a Nordstrom, a Saks and a Barneys.

And Toronto isn't getting any (net) new department stores. The Nordstrom is replacing an existing store, the Saks is replacing an existing store, and Target isn't a department store. In Manhattan, the Nordstrom is in a brand new tower (on 57th Street) the Saks is in brand new retail space (at Brookfield Place) an the Barneys is in a former museum (on 7th Ave. in Chelsea).

So for Saks and Barneys, they will each have two major stores in Manhattan- the original flagships and the new stores.

There's also a large new Macys being built in the Bronx.

If you want to count places like Target, (which is kind of silly, IMO, what's next, WalMart?) there are around a half-dozen full-size urban Targets planned or u/c in NYC.
Neiman Marcus is also opening up its first NY store in Hudson Yards.The amount of retail being built in either Downtown and Midtown is probably greater than the total retail of many North American downtowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
No. Brookfield Place is not a brand-new retail space at all. It's been there since the 1980s. It was previously called World Financial Center. They basically kicked out all (well, most) of the old tenants and are replacing them with new tenants. The Saks may be taking newly-configured retail space, but it is NOT newly constructed retail space. That whole complex was built in the 1980s. The only new space built is the atrium-like entrance from West Street and the new underground pedestrian tunnel connecting it to the WTC. The space Saks is taking has had retail tenants in it since the 1980s.
Actually, it's a huge expansion of the retail spaces. Almost all the space where Saks will go use to be offices / public corridors.

Last edited by Arxis28; 07-02-2014 at 04:56 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 AM

273 posts, read 323,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Neiman Marcus is also opening up its first NY store in Hudson Yards.The amount of retail being built in either Downtown and Midtown is probably greater than the total retail of many North American downtowns.
No. That's just a rumour. It hasn't been confirmed. It may happen. It may not happen.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Why wouldn't you be sure about it? Downtown Denver is growing quickly as we speak. Especially the Union Station area.
Because I'm not familiar with Denver. The only time I've been there I wasn't even in Denver, but Aurora, and I was there because my flight was cancelled and I had to stay at a hotel in Aurora. I wasn't in Downtown Denver, but just based on my little but alright knowledge of the growing popularity of it, Denver (and I'd suspect DT Denver) are both growing. I'd attribute the marijuana industry to a large amount of Denver and really Colorado in general's popularity and appeal. Personally, I'd love to live there. I found the Rock Mountain background to be fascinating.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Here's an example of some change currently happening in Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Because I'm not familiar with Denver. The only time I've been there I wasn't even in Denver, but Aurora, and I was there because my flight was cancelled and I had to stay at a hotel in Aurora. I wasn't in Downtown Denver, but just based on my little but alright knowledge of the growing popularity of it, Denver (and I'd suspect DT Denver) are both growing. I'd attribute the marijuana industry to a large amount of Denver and really Colorado in general's popularity and appeal. Personally, I'd love to live there. I found the Rock Mountain background to be fascinating.
Oh, i got you

Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
My post was the exact same but 10 years and had different cities. Jmt seems to pin point me. Because the fact is mine was the same thing as this one but this one isn't deleted.
I'm sorry yours got canceled but to me they were quite different. Yours was about skylines. This one is about DOWNTOWNS.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:36 PM

152 posts, read 298,806 times
I'd have to go with Charlotte mainly because one or 2 new 60 story buildings in Charlotte would be game changing. Buildings like that in NYC just get lost in a crowd so their overall affect on the skyline would be close to nothing

Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
I think despite some other cities building a lot of new development--Downtown LA is going to have the most dramatic change. It's going to be a veritable bourgeoisie wonderland in six years...nothing but glittering tapas bars and shiny new boutique hotels.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I think despite some other cities building a lot of new development--Downtown LA is going to have the most dramatic change. It's going to be a veritable bourgeoisie wonderland in six years...nothing but glittering tapas bars and shiny new boutique hotels.
you very well may be correct - most dramatic making LA even that much more of a monster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City