Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM

603 posts, read 931,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotizedeyez View Post
Hello!

I'm from Manhattan and have lived here my whole life... 18 years to be exact. I am tired of New York. My mother and I want something new... She said it would be my choice, unfortunately, I can't choose between Los Angeles or Chicago. Let it be known-- I haven't been to either.

I honestly just want to feel at home. New York isn't for me anymore. However, if we were to move somewhere, it would need to be like the city. We aren't interested in a big cultural shock. We aren't into super quite neighborhoods but we aren't into anything rowdy either. We are looking for a nice, safe, neighborhood that we could mesh well in. Someplace that you don't need a car to get to everyday.

We literally either walk or take the train everywhere so something that is basically like New York would be a good fit.. Keeping that in mind, which do you think is a better place to be-- Chicago or Los Angeles? Can you give reasons as well

Thanks!
If New York isn't for you anymore, then why try to move to a place like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
I grew up near Los Angeles and have visited Chicago and NYC several times (only as a tourist though). If you're looking for something similar to NYC, Chicago is your only choice. LA is very different. Why only these two cities though? If you just want to get out of NYC but want to live somewhere without a car, there are only a handful of cities in the US to choose from. Why not research and compare those?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
If New York isn't for you anymore, then why try to move to a place like it?
I had the same thought - but maybe they're getting sick of the people or are getting priced out? Who knows.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
You need to visit both before deciding.

And neither city is anything like NYC. Probably LA is closer to NYC in "type of person" and "vibe" and probably Chicago is closer in NYC in "look" and "layout", but really these are all different cities.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You need to visit both before deciding.

And neither city is anything like NYC. Probably LA is closer to NYC in "type of person" and "vibe" and probably Chicago is closer in NYC in "look" and "layout", but really these are all different cities.
Basically this. I think it is funny people are saying "why move to Chicago if you are sick of NYC" as if there aren't tons of areas in and around Chicago that provide a totally different lifestyle from that of NYC. Of course if you live right in the middle of Chicago you'll have a pretty NYC-esque lifestyle - and on the other hand, the same could be said of someone who lives in DTLA as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Basically this. I think it is funny people are saying "why move to Chicago if you are sick of NYC" as if there aren't tons of areas in and around Chicago that provide a totally different lifestyle from that of NYC. Of course if you live right in the middle of Chicago you'll have a pretty NYC-esque lifestyle - and on the other hand, the same could be said of someone who lives in DTLA as well.
I agree - I mean on the outisde the tall buildings could look like NYC but the city itself isn't that similar to NYC except in a few small areas. Different lifestyle, BUT it's closer in lifestyle than LA is, on average.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree - I mean on the outisde the tall buildings could look like NYC but the city itself isn't that similar to NYC except in a few small areas. Different lifestyle, BUT it's closer in lifestyle than LA is, on average.
Yeah for sure.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:11 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
For what you're looking for, Chicago sounds like the better fit. However, if you expanded your search a bit for city living where it's easy to get around by walking or transit, then maybe you should consider other cities such as Philadelphia, Boston, or DC--or possibly even cities abroad or a different neighborhood and borough in NYC.

However, Chicago already sounds like it'd work out pretty well from the little you've said. Do you have any other details of what you're looking for or what you're trying to avoid?

Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 PM

596 posts, read 820,533 times
I read somewhere that LA County and New York City were the most diverse areas in the nation. So, Los Angeles and New York both have that in common. Any other similarities I can't think of other than Los Angeles sometimes standing in for New York in movies and television.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotizedeyez View Post

I honestly just want to feel at home. New York isn't for me anymore. However, if we were to move somewhere, it would need to be like the city. We aren't interested in a big cultural shock. We aren't into super quite neighborhoods but we aren't into anything rowdy either. We are looking for a nice, safe, neighborhood that we could mesh well in. Someplace that you don't need a car to get to everyday.

We literally either walk or take the train everywhere so something that is basically like New York would be a good fit.. Keeping that in mind, which do you think is a better place to be-- Chicago or Los Angeles? Can you give reasons as well
Portland, OR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City