Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why not San Diego? It is not as expensive as LA but is urban and west coast enough. Better weather than LA.
I love San Diego too..but like I stated above, the two main reasons I'm considering Miami is the job opportunity and my cat.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 AM

174 posts, read 245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why not San Diego? It is not as expensive as LA but is urban and west coast enough. Better weather than LA.
This is wrong on all accounts:

1. San Diego is nearly expensive as LA. Yes, LA has a few more exclusive neighborhoods but overall housing prices/rents are roughly the same. And as noted, salaries in LA are better than San Diego.

2. San Diego is urban? Not compared to LA or San Francisco. Yes, urban compared to Phoenix. But outside of Downtown San Diego, there are not much urbanity in San Diego.

3. San Diego and LA have identical weather. Coastal Southern California from LA County to SD County is very much the same. True, valleys or inland locations create micro-climates. But that is the case no matter where you are: San Diego or LA. Yes, LA has more "valleys" than San Diego which creates more variation. But the LA basin (costal) is HUGE and the weather there is basically the same as coastal San Diego.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
This is wrong on all accounts:

1. San Diego is nearly expensive as LA. Yes, LA has a few more exclusive neighborhoods but overall housing prices/rents are roughly the same. And as noted, salaries in LA are better than San Diego.

2. San Diego is urban? Not compared to LA or San Francisco. Yes, urban compared to Phoenix. But outside of Downtown San Diego, there are not much urbanity in San Diego.

3. San Diego and LA have identical weather. Coastal Southern California from LA County to SD County is very much the same. True, valleys or inland locations create micro-climates. But that is the case no matter where you are: San Diego or LA. Yes, LA has more "valleys" than San Diego which creates more variation. But the LA basin (costal) is HUGE and the weather there is basically the same as coastal San Diego.
I never understood why some people say SD or LA has better weather than the other. To me they feel exactly the same. The coastal weather is identical and the inland weather is identical. If you blindfolded me and took me to either place I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 AM

[quote=jen5276;35741074]I love San Diego too..but like I stated above, the two main reasons I'm considering Miami is the job opportunity and my cat.....[/quote]

Just how big is this cat? Sounds like you got a tiger or lion.

Really OP: I'd consider dumping the cat. Sorry, I definitely prefer cats over dogs but no pet is worth giving up a good job opportunity or relocating to a place I really want to be.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I never understood why some people say SD or LA has better weather than the other. To me they feel exactly the same. The coastal weather is identical and the inland weather is identical. If you blindfolded me and took me to either place I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Yes, Illusive Man, thank you. Of course, I agree 100% because it is true!! San Diego gets slightly less rain than LA but overall the climate is the same.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times
[quote=Breaking_Good;35743891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I love San Diego too..but like I stated above, the two main reasons I'm considering Miami is the job opportunity and my cat.....[/quote]

Just how big is this cat? Sounds like you got a tiger or lion.

Really OP: I'd consider dumping the cat. Sorry, I definitely prefer cats over dogs but no pet is worth giving up a good job opportunity or relocating to a place I really want to be.
He's a regular size cat...why would you think he was so huge?

I could never do that. I love my cat..could never dump him.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
I too was confused when I read the comment about the weather. It's the same in Los Angeles and San Diego.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
You are going to decide where to live based on your cat not liking long car rides?

OK, have fun in Miami.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,213 times
You can live outside Dade cty and still enjoy a decent lifestyle. I'm not an expert in Miami(don't live there) and wouldn't want to live within Dade, however, when people refer to Miami, they usually mean the metro area, as is the case with LA. North Palm Beach by Jupiter is nice, certain areas in Broward adjacent or close to the beaches(that seems to be the norm in FL). The mountains in LA are mostly barren and dry (not sure what the big hype is with those), so for me, Miami wins with its luscious tropical landscape(despite being flat). Plus no comparison when it comes to the ocean(the Pacific is cold, in most cases unusable unless you surf or scuba dive). Even though Miami has lots of Hispanics and minorities, LA suffers from the same (South Central,Boyle Heights, East L.A, Watts etc..). Of course, it depends how you see it; if you're Hispanic, Dade cty might not be that bad.

Coming from NYC I assume you'd probably fit better in the Miami metro area than LA. Plus DT Miami is smoking hot(haven't been recently to LA but I hear Miami has evolved to be the 3rd largest skyline in the US.) Overall, I don't believe Miami is as terrible as many make it sound (sure it's a little crazy and there's better places out there; I just don't think LA is one of those).

Old 07-21-2014, 01:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
OK that last post was exaggerated and sounded a bit racist. What do you mean "suffering" from Latinos and other minorities? I am sure the OP wants a diverse city since she is a New Yorker and looking at LA and Miami to live in. Not everyone thinks a city full of only White people is paradise.

Also, on a whole the Pacific is warmer than the Atlantic. The thing is that the current on the West Coast flows down from Canada while on the East Coast it flows up from the Caribbean, which is what makes Miami's water warmer than LA (besides LA being further north). But the water in LA is far from unusable, otherwise thousands of residents wouldn't be swimming there every day in the warm season. Millions flock to SoCal every year for the beaches, among other things. And yes, Miami has warmer and prettier water but highrises along the beach and no waves. LA in summer has waters in the low 70sF, so decent for swimming, and beautiful coastal scenery, unlike most of SoFlo.

Yes, the mountains and surrounding region are too dry, but still very beautiful. That said, I also like the lush landscaping of South Florida. But have you even been to California? Because it sounds like you are ignorant about a great many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City