Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
New Orleans 46 43.40%
Toronto 60 56.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:48 PM

98 posts, read 132,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Household income has nothing to do with family income. Family income is always quite a big higher, because household is just every "unit" of housing/total.

Median household income is around 45k for New Orleans. I don't see any household income data for Toronto, only family income, but figuring the relative difference in currencies and spending power, I think it's fair to say that they have roughly similar incomes.
Median personal income in Toronto is around 37k so I'd imagine that household income would still be more than NOLA, even if you factor in differences in purchasing power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wt View Post
*sigh*

I'd say that most people you meet on the street in Toronto actually have pretty humble opinions on their city.
*HUGE SIGH*

Great, but what does that have to do with my quote? Sentence one: poster has a bad attitude. Pretty obviously true. Sentence two: on my extensive visits to both locations, locals were much friendlier in NOLA. Opinion, but I would imagine one shared by the majority.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:15 PM

266 posts, read 276,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Don't let him drag you into his drivel . This is not behavior of the average Canadian.
I found Toronto people to be thoughtful and considerate.That poster is not a good representative.
I speak the truth. Ask anyone around the world about Americans if you don't believe me.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wt View Post
Median personal income in Toronto is around 37k so I'd imagine that household income would still be more than NOLA, even if you factor in differences in purchasing power.
Clearly that would be the case no matter how much someone wants to spin the truth. Toronto also has one of the highest concentrations of millionaires in the world.. Anyway in median income terms Toronto does well against most any large or even med sized U.S cities and in this matchup it isn't one - joe blow Torontonian is doing better than joe blow counterpart in NOLA as are joe bloe families from a financial p.o.v

Last edited by fusion2; 08-19-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamosgp View Post
Been to both cities:
-COL: New Orleans. It's not cheap to live a nice life in Toronto.
Joe blow Torontonian and joe blow family makes more so even though day to day things are more expensive, people make more so can afford the offset..

Last edited by fusion2; 08-19-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
well and my case I don't need a huSband or want a husband or a wife..
You seem to act like you can't have those things in other places.
I don't live the safest city but I don't live "recklessly " in fear either.
Miami has a high crime rate too but thousands of people from your very own country move there permanently because of weather and cheaper cost.
Obviously if safety was the highest concern for most, then more people would be moving to Canada than Florida , other parts the South and West coast.
I've lived in England, Italy ,Germany and several Middle Eastern countries. I settled where I am because it has provided me with a wonderful life in a city that is constantly transforming itself.

No doubt I could have a great life any where I choose to live that at least has a stable economy. What's ideal for you is not ideal for everybody else.
I have no idea why or how you would conclude that I said Toronto has ownership of being a safe and stable place.. Having said that in terms of liveability Toronto almost always ranks in the top 10 or 15 cities in the world that are measured. U.S cities struggle to make the top 30.

Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary among top five most livable cities in new ranking - The Globe and Mail

its a common theme in International QOL surveys over and over again!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I should also clarify my statement.
People like diversity but only to a certain limit.
Personally I crave it and always have.
Even growing up in a small town i sought out those who were different than me.
However in most smaller cities and even in Europe, I found them to be very limited in multicultural aspects of those places.

North American cities are the only main places that really embrace cultural differences. At least more so than other areas worldwide.
Not Asian, African countries.
Yes and it is positively undeniable that Toronto is in the top tier of places in terms of all forms of diversity yet on the flip side gets slammed for not having enough of a singular identity....talk about cognitive dissonance.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
*HUGE SIGH*

Great, but what does that have to do with my quote? Sentence one: poster has a bad attitude. Pretty obviously true. Sentence two: on my extensive visits to both locations, locals were much friendlier in NOLA. Opinion, but I would imagine one shared by the majority.
Lets face it though, Toronto is a much larger and busier city than NOLA lol.. after driving in a rush hour commute for over an hour covering a distance of only 21 kilometres - what like 12 or 13 miles im not exactly mister smiley happy face either lol.. Toronto is not exactly a laid back city...

Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
How's Toronto during winter? Any big scenic parks nearby?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Toronto Islands are a huge and very beautiful area to escape from the busy city. Crystal-clear, calm waters that get warm enough to swim in summer and beautiful trees and greenery. I loved it.

In winter, Toronto is frigid. Winters last a long time. Snowier than Chicago, but actually a little bit warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City