Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
New Orleans 46 43.40%
Toronto 60 56.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

New Orleans is always compared to larger cities, it doesn't compare as much to cities it's size.
I don't really think the city compares well against Toronto..From industry to culture to people to built form and size - Toronto is a beast in comparison. The only thing that screams connection to me is the fact that they both have streetcars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
When was the last time you were in New Orleans? There are plenty of people (families too) moving to New Orleans and renovating homes Uptown, Mid-City, and Gentilly. The 90s were 20 years ago.

New Orleans is always compared to larger cities, it doesn't compare as much to cities it's size.
The last time I was in New Orleans was in March, actually. I agree there seems to be a renewed pride in the city and an increased level of activity. However, I think the downsides I articulated still do (and will forever) remain. The city has always been slightly dysfunctional. In a way, it's part of its charm, but I personally don't think it makes for a livable place.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh jeez Edward always something anything when it comes to Toronto - the place in the world that just gets under your skin - if its not one thing it most certainly is another..if anything Toronto should be more yourmode now if your not out puking at 4 am.. seriously is it really that big of a deal to most people? Probably not! Would I like to see it - sure but its not a reason alone to say the city has a terrible nightlife - if anything they just move the party to unregulated venues which there are many.

Yes the gold medal game wasn't between Canada and the U.S but since we won gold we trounced the U.S plus beat the U.S in the semi-final..a more natural rivaly than Canada v Sweden - boring!
Why does it have to be about puking your guts out at 4am? Why cant it be about sitting down and listening to an awesome Jazz musician and just having a cold beer next to you while you are listening? People's minds are warped in the US and Canada when it comes to staying out late and alcohol consumption. The reason's why our young folks take things too far is because they are stifled their entire lives. Very, very boring way to view the world.

Not to go OT, but I have raised this issue about other cities as well. I can send you the link to a discussion I started and went numerous pages on the Boston board about the same topic. This overregulation is stupid and it does kill a city's nightlife. Why do you think restaurant and bar owners spend 100's of thousands of dollars for a liquor license? Because that is how they make money, off the bar. If an owner knows he/she can only sell alcohol until 2am, they have no incentive to keep the lights on afterwards, because it is just bad business.

That is why I say NOLA may have its issues, If I were handed a job offer at this stage with a family I would move to Toronto over NOLA. But that city is just fantastic, one of the few places you can go to and feel you are completely free to let loose and have a good time. Without big brother always lurking over your shoulder. NOLA could learn alot from Toronto, that is for sure....but Toronto could also learn alot from NOLA on how to let people just have a good time.

P.S: I don't know if you've noticed, but Hockey has now dropped to being the 5th most popular sport in the US. Time to find a new rival.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Here's a novel idea, why dont you just make it a 4am last call every day of the week? Or abolish last call altogether? Why is going out late a special occasion?

Plus every single city on earth has after hours of unlicensed spots. I even know the names of places in Qatar to find booze outside of the hotels. Why not just open things up and not make it into some major excursion to have a fu*king cocktail after 2.

Go live in a 24 hour city, then get back to me.

I think the last point is bang on. There are very few 24 hour cities on the continent and I don't think enough people have really experienced this lifestyle - NOLA, Las Vegas and New York are the only ones really. There are a few others that stay up later like Miami (last call is like 4 or 5 or something) and Chicago & Montreal (I think 3am) with lots of afterhours (for those that want it). I think Atlanta goes to 3 or 4am too.

Toronto pretty much crushes NOLA in all categories here except local culture (food/music/history) and nightlife - I don't see how anyone can argue that.

I don't think Toronto's nightlife is "boring" because there are many places to go that suit different tastes. But I do find that it's increasingly becoming a city where you have to go and find the cool venues, which makes it more average as opposed to boring. Growing up in the city, it wasn't always like this because downtown used to be more of a meeting spot for everyone. And believe me, Toronto had above average nightlife 10 years ago that was right up there after the "24 hour" cities. I believe the condo build out has forced the downtown core to shut down a lot of venues, spread out the bars in different parts in the city instead of concentrating them, but also created a more residential feeling. I also notice less variety of music in the core - there used to be more hip hop and reggae spots but I don't see these anymore. Feels more like a yuppie or hipster vibe now. Maybe it's just my observation as someone looking in (since I visit home 3 times a year) but it even seems a bit more homogeneous than it did in the past. I think the city has improved a lot over the years, especially the restaurant scene, but the vibe has changed or evolved as well over time.

Last edited by johnathanc; 08-14-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
You can not compare both cities... they are in different brackets.

P.S. You will find no other city in the US/Canada like New Orleans hands down!
How about a New Orleans vs. Ottawa thread?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quebec City would probably be the better (best) match up for New Orleans. They're sort of in a class of their own among the dozens of other cities their size.

Ottawa is a nice place, but it wouldn't be the prettiest match up, New Orleans versus Ottawa, in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:16 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't really think the city compares well against Toronto..From industry to culture to people to built form and size - Toronto is a beast in comparison. The only thing that screams connection to me is the fact that they both have streetcars.
Toronto is so much bigger than New Orleans that this is an absolutely unfair comparison at face value, though the actual OP points draw it pretty close.

Anyone saying Toronto wins in terms of "culture" is straight-up ridiculous, however. NOLA is a unique and special place in terms of history, culture, local foods and atmosphere. Toronto just doesn't hold a candle to it in this regard. I have to believe every one of these people is 1) from Toronto (or a Canada wonk), or 2) has never experienced NOLA.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:43 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Quebec City would probably be the better (best) match up for New Orleans. They're sort of in a class of their own among the dozens of other cities their size.

Ottawa is a nice place, but it wouldn't be the prettiest match up, New Orleans versus Ottawa, in my opinion.
I don't know.

Does a non-Anglophone culture automatically translate into "better culture" in North America? It is like saying France has better culture than the UK.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:16 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I think the last point is bang on. There are very few 24 hour cities on the continent and I don't think enough people have really experienced this lifestyle - NOLA, Las Vegas and New York are the only ones really. There are a few others that stay up later like Miami (last call is like 4 or 5 or something) and Chicago & Montreal (I think 3am) with lots of afterhours (for those that want it). I think Atlanta goes to 3 or 4am too.

Toronto pretty much crushes NOLA in all categories here except local culture (food/music/history) and nightlife - I don't see how anyone can argue that.

I don't think Toronto's nightlife is "boring" because there are many places to go that suit different tastes. But I do find that it's increasingly becoming a city where you have to go and find the cool venues, which makes it more average as opposed to boring. Growing up in the city, it wasn't always like this because downtown used to be more of a meeting spot for everyone. And believe me, Toronto had above average nightlife 10 years ago that was right up there after the "24 hour" cities. I believe the condo build out has forced the downtown core to shut down a lot of venues, spread out the bars in different parts in the city instead of concentrating them, but also created a more residential feeling. I also notice less variety of music in the core - there used to be more hip hop and reggae spots but I don't see these anymore. Feels more like a yuppie or hipster vibe now. Maybe it's just my observation as someone looking in (since I visit home 3 times a year) but it even seems a bit more homogeneous than it did in the past. I think the city has improved a lot over the years, especially the restaurant scene, but the vibe has changed or evolved as well over time.
This post is spot on. No lies told.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
This post is spot on. No lies told.
true, but I much prefer the new trend than the old downtown full of entertainment with few people actually living there. Don't know about you guys but I hate that sort of cities where downtown is primarily a commercial zone where people from the suburbs go for work and fun.

Downtown Toronto between Don Valley and Bathurst has 3% of the land but more than 200,000 people. Would be Canada's 20th largest city if standing alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City