Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live?
New Orleans 29 35.37%
Nashville 53 64.63%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 PM

372 posts, read 449,707 times

Advertisements

These two cities are both growing and have a good economy right now. They are both southern and both known for music. They are of similar size also.

Which city is better in the following Categories:

Economy
Cost of Living
Culture
Music
Food
Entertainment
Better place to live
Developments/construction

I would consider living in either one of these cities. Which one would you rather live?

Last edited by JMT; 08-19-2014 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: No skyline discussions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
New Orleans

Old 08-19-2014, 08:32 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Economy: Nashville with New Orleans being no slouch and growing fast
Cost of Living: Buying in New Orleans is expensive, suburbs are typical. IDK
Culture: New Orleans
Music: New Orleans. This is subjective however I would think New Orleans has more live shows and music festivals being it's a much larger tourist destination. I guess it could go wither way but I choose New Orleans.
Food: New Orleans
Entertainment: New Orleans. As far as keeping visitors entertained fairly easy I think the Easy wins this one.
Better place to live: Subjective, but New Orleans for some, Nashville for most. I would prefer the NO lifestyle but I think I would enjoy Nashville alot too. Wash
Developments/construction: Maybe Nashville by a bit but both have tons of projects going on. New Orleans has less new construction because many old buildings are being renovated instead of torn down, there's also a good bit of abandon structures that are being redeveloped. Wash

It's an obvious New Orleans for me (), but I do plan on going to Nashville soon and have a fond image of it.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 AM

I added a poll to this.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Economy: Nashville with New Orleans being no slouch and growing fast
Cost of Living: Buying in New Orleans is expensive, suburbs are typical. IDK
Culture: New Orleans
Music: New Orleans. This is subjective however I would think New Orleans has more live shows and music festivals being it's a much larger tourist destination. I guess it could go wither way but I choose New Orleans.
Entertainment: New Orleans. As far as keeping visitors entertained fairly easy I think the Easy wins this one.
Better place to live: Subjective, but New Orleans for some, Nashville for most. I would prefer the NO lifestyle but I think I would enjoy Nashville alot too. Wash
Developments/construction: Maybe Nashville by a bit but both have tons of projects going on. New Orleans has less new construction because many old buildings are being renovated instead of torn down, there's also a good bit of abandon structures that are being redeveloped. Wash

It's an obvious New Orleans for me (), but I do plan on going to Nashville soon and have a fond image of it.
That's a pretty fair look at it.

COL in Nashville has skyrocketed in terms of housing. Aside from a high sales tax, the rest is average or below for most of the country. Rental rates and housing values have just passed national averages...homes in hot areas are now pretty expensive. Probably similar overall.

Music -- depends on what you are looking for. Nashville has the Country reputation, but is more diverse than many give it credit for. I'm not so certain that NOLA has more live shows, though. We have several festivals, too, but I'm not sure how either city compares.

I agree on food. I think Nashville has made a lot of strides in the food category in the last 10-15 years...but it is nowhere near as recognizable or unique as New Orleans cuisine.

I wouldn't argue entertainment. We're a heavy hitter, but NOLA is world-class.

Where to live is really going to hinge on personal preferences and needs.

Developments/construction is something that would have to be quantified. I frankly don't care enough to try to produce a dollar for dollar comparison. From what I know, though, both cities have a similarly extensive list of recently completed, under construction, and ready to start list of developments. The only place (from my knowledge) that I would give Nashville an edge is possibly in the proposals category.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Economy: Nashville
Cost of Living: Nashville
Culture: New Orleans...really what other city in the South could compare to what New Orleans offers?
Music: Nashville has more live music, writers, recording studios, schools dedicated to the music industry, concert venues, and music is a very large part of the economy. Nashville is Music City for a reason. Whether the music is better is subjective. I prefer New Orleans jazz and rhythm and blues all day long. Neville family, Teedra Moses. No Limit Records put New Orleans rap scene on the map!
Entertainment: New Orleans
Better place to live:? It's cool to be from either city...eyes tend to raise and someone will almost always ask if you are a musician or artist of some kind.
Better place to raise a family: Nashville
Developments/Construction: Nashville has construction in every part of the city and metro. The type of construction you see in Nashville is all new from the ground up.

Which one would I rather live in? New Orleans to party. Nashville to retire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DlX...GX3mAcZXk7WaXS

Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 PM

I think both cities are good cities to live in. Like for say a young person who is just getting started. What about education though?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Nashville is a much, much nicer and livable city overall than New Orleans.

New Orleans is a dump.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I think both cities are good cities to live in. Like for say a young person who is just getting started. What about education though?
Nashville offers much more in terms of education options because it is the larger metro at 1.8 million versus 1.2 million for New Orleans. There are more than 90,000 students enrolled in colleges and universities in and around Nashville's metro area. Vanderbilt, Belmont, MTSU, Meharry, the list goes on and on of great schools. Nashville is also home to four Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). New Orleans has a real gem in Tulane as well.

Nashville Colleges & Universities

Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Music: Nashville has more live music
How do you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville offers much more in terms of education options because it is the larger metro at 1.8 million versus 1.2 million for New Orleans. There are more than 90,000 students enrolled in colleges and universities in and around Nashville's metro area. Vanderbilt, Belmont, MTSU, Meharry, the list goes on and on of great schools. Nashville is also home to four Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). New Orleans has a real gem in Tulane as well.

Nashville Colleges & Universities
I don't think size has much to do with it.
There's also UNO, Xavier, Loyola, Dillard, and a few more smaller colleges. Also LSU is an hour away, many people drive that distance daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City