Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Cities should always have mass transit separated from traffic. It's practically a necessity as populations grow.
Totally agree. The new Central Corridor has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment because it's not separated from traffic. I've come to learn that Minnesota has a tendency to not do things right the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 12:46 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Similar to Minneapolitans looking up to Chicago.
See, I hear Seattle or San Fran before Chicago from locals when Chicago should be the obvious choice. But there's an air of "we're more West Coast" in the TCs that tries to separate itself from the "Rust Belt" and so on.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:58 PM

214 posts, read 300,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Totally agree. The new Central Corridor has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment because it's not separated from traffic. I've come to learn that Minnesota has a tendency to not do things right the first time.
2nd that. What a cluster right now. Green line is slow! They should have just used streetcars IMO. Based on design it seems like the TC does emulate Chicago more than SF. With that said the QOL factors are more similar to West Coast cities to me. Coming from Denver I have more of a bias/preference to the west but MSP and Chicago would be the gems in the Midwest based on my criteria.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
See, I hear Seattle or San Fran before Chicago from locals when Chicago should be the obvious choice. But there's an air of "we're more West Coast" in the TCs that tries to separate itself from the "Rust Belt" and so on.
Really? I've been in the Minneapolis - St. Paul area for a few years now and I'm constantly hearing about how wonderful Chicago is - to the point that it's sickening. I understand that Chicago has a lot of influence over the Midwest and many people have and continue to move to the Minneapolis area from the greater Chicagoland area, but c'mon.

BTW, the Twin Cities should try to separate itself from the Rust Belt cities because it's not nor has it been in the same position as though cities - during the good and bad times.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
No it is a peer city dude. Define or back up that statement with something. Have you sampled the entire metro to draw that conclusion?

I too found that pretty much everyone considers Seattle in the same tier as MSP. Very similar metros.
Meh not really, Seattle is still far more iconic, and important city... location is huge here.

Seattle is a west coast city, Minneapolis is a midwest city.
Not to bash the Midwest but Coastal cities are far more well known and iconic than Midwestern cities... more people around the world know about Seattle than Minneapolis.

Plus they have way more tourist spots, a larger and more vibrant city, beautiful scenery and better infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I doubt it, almost everyone around here has been to Chicago.
I know you are trying to make it seem like we never think about Chicago and it is not impressing to us but that is all false, its the only large city close to us and its about a 6 hour drive.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanObservor View Post
Museum and theater do go to Minneapolis - Seattle is no slouch but Minneapolis really excels in these areas.

However, currently I'd say transit is about even (Seattle has a higher percentage of people commuting by public transit and rail has about the same ridership) and Seattle will pull away dramatically in the next decade when multiple underground/elevated "subway-style" light rail lines with complete separate ROW opening in some of the city's densest and most vibrant areas. Minneapolis' light rail lines will not have the same capacity and they will be at-grade.
Lol every *insert midwestern city* booster here brags about their cities Museums and Theaters.
Fact it no one really travels far to visit a theater, if people are coming to the Twin Cities from far away they are usually just visiting family, the few tourist are probably going to the Mall of America (located in the suburbs)

Seattle has plenty of museums and theaters but it also has iconic stuff like Pike Place and the Space Needle.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I doubt it, almost everyone around here has been to Chicago.
I know you are trying to make it seem like we never think about Chicago and it is not impressing to us but that is all false, its the only large city close to us and its about a 6 hour drive.
Actually, you have no idea what I'm talking about.

People in the Twin Cities yearn towards places like Seattle, not Chicago like you would expect; Seattle, in turn, doesn't look towards the TCs (obviously), it looks towards the Bay Area. I believe we're saying the same basic things here, not sure why you'd think differently. Seattle and TCs may ostensibly be "peers," but Seattle is a level or two above overall when you break it down...and this includes "perception."

Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I disagree on the scenery...not even close.
What scenery is there actually in Seattle? Maybe 60 miles away, it's very scenic but the city itself and its suburbs? Not so much.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:04 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Most Seattleites would not really even think to compare Seattle and Minneapolis.

The cities that Seattle aligns itself with are San Francisco, Vancouver, Portland.
What? No. Vancouver, maybe. Portland and SF? I only see that in C-D forums. Never in the real world.

I have, however, heard more than a few Seattleites compare Seattle and MSP.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM

69 posts, read 263,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Allow me to disagree with you. Completely close. Simply because there are no mountains in MSP? Rivers and lakes, 3 biomes converge across the TC metro going from prairie like to woodsy and hilly with river bluffs? I think both places actually are beautiful in terms of landscape features and urban features like architecture.

To be fair as well Minnesota winters suck but the Summers and Fall are pretty awesome.
There seems to be some bizarre belief on these forums that only mountains and ocean can make a place beautiful. When in reality, all types of landscapes are magnificent in their own way.

The Minneapolis-St Paul area sure seems to have a lot going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City