Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for Asians
New York City (and its metro area) 33 57.89%
Hawaii 24 42.11%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 PM

136 posts, read 330,263 times

Advertisements

New York City has a much larger Asian population than Oahu, but Oahu is physically bigger and more friendly towards Asians. Percentage plays a bigger role than total number. Who cares if there are x thousand Asians in NYC and n thousand on Oahu? You will only interact with a small fraction of the total population. I'd rather be at a school, office, mall, etc. with 24% Asians in the Bay Area than 14% Asians in LA (those are the Asian percentages in each area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer of Lies View Post
Yeah, not to mention Cerritos (over 50% Asian), Westminster, Garden Grove, Torrance, Alhambra, Monterey Park, etc.

Want some integrated burbs? Carson, Long Beach, Culver City, Pasadena, South Pasadena, etc.

There's a reason why Asians overwhelmingly choose LA over SF Bay Area. Hell many of the construction projects in Koreatown and Downtown LA are funds by South Korean, Taiwanese and Chinese banks.
Immigrant Asians move to LA more often, but in my experience most American-born Asians prefer the Bay Area. I usually don't feel I have much in common with an immigrant from the Philippines, China, or Korea, who together make up a significant portion of LA's Asian population.

Last edited by JMT; 02-17-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,424,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Fine, New York City has a much larger Asian population than Oahu, but Oahu is physically bigger and more friendly towards Asians. Percentage plays a bigger role than total number.
I disagree. I think NYC is probably, all around, a better place for Asians than Oahu. Much bigger Asian population, and from every corner of Asia. Hawaii's Asian population isn't all-encompassing of Asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Who cares if there are x thousand Asians in NYC and n thousand on Oahu? You will only interact with a small fraction of the total population.
The Asian feel in parts of NYC are much stronger than anywhere in Hawaii. Go to Flushing, Queens, and then find me somewhere in Hawaii that is remotely as Asian.

I don't even think anywhere in LA or SF matches up that comprehensively. Flushing might be the most Asian place on the globe outside of Asia. It's like ridiculous wall-to-wall Manhattan/Hong Kong type crowds.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:54 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I disagree. I think NYC is probably, all around, a better place for Asians than Oahu. Much bigger Asian population, and from every corner of Asia. Hawaii's Asian population isn't all-encompassing of Asia.

The Asian feel in parts of NYC are much stronger than anywhere in Hawaii. Go to Flushing, Queens, and then find me somewhere in Hawaii that is remotely as Asian.

I don't even think anywhere in LA or SF matches up that comprehensively. Flushing might be the most Asian place on the globe outside of Asia. It's like ridiculous wall-to-wall Manhattan/Hong Kong type crowds.
Maybe for some fresh off the boat Asians NYC might be better as it has large enclaves full of new, non-assimilated immigrants. But overall Oahu is arguably better for Asians as they are the dominant race in all aspects of society there; politically, financially, etc....

Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 PM

40 posts, read 169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Maybe for some fresh off the boat Asians NYC might be better as it has large enclaves full of new, non-assimilated immigrants. But overall Oahu is arguably better for Asians as they are the dominant race in all aspects of society there; politically, financially, etc....
Well, I believe that part of NYC is already dominated by Asian financiers an politicians. Grace Meng is the local congresswoman there.

If you aren't Filipino or Japanese, Hawaii really isn't that good for Asians. There are more Asians in the LA or NYC areas than there are people in Hawaii

Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I believe that part of NYC is already dominated by Asian financiers an politicians. Grace Meng is the local congresswoman there.

If you aren't Filipino or Japanese, Hawaii really isn't that good for Asians. There are more Asians in the LA or NYC areas than there are people in Hawaii
The whole state of HI is dominated by Asian's not just one "part". No matter where you go in Hawaii, Asians dominate society. That isn't the case in NYC or LA.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
The whole state of HI is dominated by Asian's not just one "part". No matter where you go in Hawaii, Asians dominate society. That isn't the case in NYC or LA.
If Asians means Japanese and Filipino, then sure. If you're Chinese, Indian, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese or anyone else from Asia, not so much.

Again, there are more Asians in NYC area and LA area than there are people in Hawaii. There's a reason why the vast majority of Asian American organizations are based in those two areas and not HI, SF Bay or anywhere else

Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
If Asians means Japanese and Filipino, then sure. If you're Chinese, Indian, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese or anyone else from Asia, not so much.

Again, there are more Asians in NYC area and LA area than there are people in Hawaii. There's a reason why the vast majority of Asian American organizations are based in those two areas and not HI, SF Bay or anywhere else
The % of people that are Chinese and Korean is fairly similar in Hawaii and actually higher in Honolulu than NYC and LA.

Yes there are more Asians in NYC and LA, thanks for stating the obvious. But they don't dominate all aspects of society in either of those places like they do in Hawaii.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
The % of people that are Chinese and Korean is fairly similar in Hawaii and actually higher in Honolulu than NYC and LA.

Yes there are more Asians in NYC and LA, thanks for stating the obvious. But they don't dominate all aspects of society in either of those places like they do in Hawaii.
That's cool, but in selected areas, Asians dominate. You can't tell me that Asians don't dominate the SGV or Irvine or Westminster. Or in NYC, Flushing or Sunset Park.

This thread has nothing to do with HI anyways.
So you'd agree that Asians are better off in LA than SF Bay then given that Asians don't dominate there either, right?

Last edited by JMT; 02-17-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
That's cool, but in selected areas, Asians dominate. You can't tell me that Asians don't dominate the SGV or Irvine or Westminster. Or in NYC, Flushing or Sunset Park.

So you'd agree that Asians are better off in LA than SF Bay then given that Asians don't dominate there either, right?
I never said they didn't dominate select areas in those places and that in fact was part of the whole problem with this debate; that they arent prevalent in all aspects of society everywhere like they are in Hawaii.

Well they seem to dominate society more so in the Bay Area than either La or NYC. The mayors of SF and Oakland are both Chinese.

Last edited by JMT; 02-17-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I never said they didn't dominate select areas in those places and that in fact was part of the whole problem with this debate; that they arent prevalent in all aspects of society everywhere like they are in Hawaii.

Well they seem to dominate society more so in the Bay Area than either La or NYC. The mayors of SF and Oakland are both Chinese.
But it makes no difference either way considering that SF Bay isn't dominated by Asians either.

You'd think that SF Bay was growing in Asian population faster than NYC and LA, but it isn't. Not to mention that LA is a true world city not really dominated by anyone.

So the two things SF Bay is sort of known for in the real world has a huge presence in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City