Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 AM

33 posts, read 62,993 times

Advertisements

If you look at the largest cities in the US, you'll notice that many have quite a large land area (LA, Dallas, etc), while there are also many other, smaller, but densely populated cities (Boston/San Francisco/DC). I've seen people compare the "core" parts of cities. I've seen many threads comparing, say, the denser parts of LA to the denser parts of Chicago, but I'm curious what would happen if we grew the smaller (in land area) cities to the size of cities with more land area.

Let's say you can grow your city out as long as all of the cities you are connecting either share a land border OR are strongly tied due to well used bridges, mass transit lines or both. Examples of this would be SF/Oakland, DC/Arlington, or Boston/Cambridge.

As an example, if you take SF, Oakland, and Daily City, you get a city with about 1,344 million people in about 134 square miles. Compare to Philadelphia, which has 1,553 million people in about 134 square miles.

Any other interesting comparisons people can come up with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Inside the beltway DC is about roughly 250 sq mi with 1.75- 2 million people, there is no exact count, but these numbers are from 2012:

There Are 1.75 Mil. People Inside the Beltway & Cool Maps - The Transportation Planner

That leaves in the MSA about 4 million living outside the immediate beltway, so places like Tysons Corner, Rockville, Laurel, parts of Alexandria etc. would count outside.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:05 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
If you look at the largest cities in the US, you'll notice that many have quite a large land area (LA, Dallas, etc), while there are also many other, smaller, but densely populated cities (Boston/San Francisco/DC). I've seen people compare the "core" parts of cities. I've seen many threads comparing, say, the denser parts of LA to the denser parts of Chicago, but I'm curious what would happen if we grew the smaller (in land area) cities to the size of cities with more land area.

Let's say you can grow your city out as long as all of the cities you are connecting either share a land border OR are strongly tied due to well used bridges, mass transit lines or both. Examples of this would be SF/Oakland, DC/Arlington, or Boston/Cambridge.

As an example, if you take SF, Oakland, and Daily City, you get a city with about 1,344 million people in about 134 square miles. Compare to Philadelphia, which has 1,553 million people in about 134 square miles.

I've written this exact post multiple times on this forum. The biggest cities in the US are those that have expanded their land boundaries far, far further than dense cities like San Francisco. Metro regions, likewise, have drastically varying sizes of land borders.

I think an alternative way to compare cities for their true and proper populations would be to count the population of a city within a boundary of 100 square miles of land, followed by a second count of the total population of a city within a boundary of 200 square miles of land.

I assure you, counting population totals this way would completly alter our "Most populated US cities" list.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:41 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I've written this exact post multiple times on this forum. The biggest cities in the US are those that have expanded their land boundaries far, far further than dense cities like San Francisco. Metro regions, likewise, have drastically varying sizes of land borders.

I think an alternative way to compare cities for their true and proper populations would be to count the population of a city within a boundary of 100 square miles of land, followed by a second count of the total population of a city within a boundary of 200 square miles of land.

I assure you, counting population totals this way would completly alter our "Most populated US cities" list.
I have always said city populations should be based on urban areas, which differ from both Metro populations which are based on county by county commuting patterns, and City boundaries where some states(generally southern or western) have very liberal annexation laws allowing cities to expand borders giving them an illusion of appearing more populated than they are. Urban areas give the most accurate view of a city/market size by far IMO.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:05 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I have always said city populations should be based on urban areas, which differ from both Metro populations which are based on county by county commuting patterns, and City boundaries where some states(generally southern or western) have very liberal annexation laws allowing cities to expand borders giving them an illusion of appearing more populated than they are. Urban areas give the most accurate view of a city/market size by far IMO.
Yes, wrangling in those city boundaries would reveal just how sparsely populated and empty some of these alleged "big" cities truly are.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I agree with the last 3 posts, as it is something I've emphasized on this forum as well. It can effect things like crime rates and the feel of cities in terms of urbanity, among other factors.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:56 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post

San Francisco, Oakland and Daly City are less than 134 sq miles.

Oakland 55 sq miles
San Francisco 46 sq miles
Daly City 7 sq miles
Total 108 sq miles

We need to add
Berkeley 10 sq miles
Alameda 10 sq miles
San Bruno 5 sq miles
Emeryville 1 sq mile
Piedmont 1 sq mile

The total then rises to 135 sq miles and the population is about 1.6 million

Old 09-04-2014, 02:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Are urban areas what the op is asking for?

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Francisco, Oakland and Daly City are less than 134 sq miles.

Oakland 55 sq miles
San Francisco 46 sq miles
Daly City 7 sq miles
Total 108 sq miles

We need to add
Berkeley 10 sq miles
Alameda 10 sq miles
San Bruno 5 sq miles
Emeryville 1 sq mile
Piedmont 1 sq mile

The total then rises to 135 sq miles and the population is about 1.6 million
Furthermore, these^ combined, contiguous cities as a single unit, is overall, really nice. Philly doesnt really compare economically or as far as overall amenities, but its still a great city for other reasons.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
There was a similar thread but in reverse: shrinking your city (unless it's a rather small city) till you reach the densest contigous area the same size of San Francisco.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-density.html

NYC came in at 2.7 million or so. Then very close to each other, Chicago then Philadelphia and then Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City