Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cd popular city!!
Atlanta 16 21.33%
LA 10 13.33%
Nyc 55 73.33%
Dc 2 2.67%
Nola 3 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM

413 posts, read 438,969 times

Advertisements

my fair city NYC seems to get quite a bit of hate we can't help it that we are the best in pretty much everything ever and if not at least 2nd place.......
Atlanta is overhated Charlotte to for that matter I think places that have been known for success for a while tend to rack up haters so the current IT cities now beware your turn to be hated is coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,132,910 times
NYC seems to have everything C-D likes: economic power, density, great mass transit, diversity, fairly good pro sports teams, culture, attractions....

This site (well, except for the Politics forum which blows everything out of proportion) adores NYC! Seattle and Denver are also very well-liked, as is Minneapolis. C-D's views on Detroit mostly echo the general U.S. population.

- skbl17

Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,790,842 times
There have been comments about density on this thread. I fail to see how the logic of, the more dense the better, makes a place better.

Density is like cinnamon. You want a little of it to spice things up, but too much of it and its horrifying. If you think otherwise, I challenge you to visit Mumbai. I just spent two weeks there and man I couldnt wait to get back to my house and yard. Its well over double the density of NYC and to that extend I found the prospect of living there terrible.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,132,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
There have been comments about density on this thread. I fail to see how the logic of, the more dense the better, makes a place better.

Density is like cinnamon. You want a little of it to spice things up, but too much of it and its horrifying. If you think otherwise, I challenge you to visit Mumbai. I just spent two weeks there and man I couldnt wait to get back to my house and yard. Its well over double the density of NYC and to that extend I found the prospect of living there terrible.
Your statements are true, but remember, this is C-D. Density is everything, especially on the Urban Planning and City v. City forums.

- skbl17

Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,606,547 times
Quote:
What's especially sad about these sunbelt cities racing to "densify" themselves overnight, is that anything old and historic is the first thing to go in the name of "progress". Entire neighborhoods with tons of potential to be something special, if only they would put a little money into renovation rather than the wrecking ball... just to make way for some mediocre, generic mid-rise lofts and condos. But hey... at least it will be more dense, and that's all that matters.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,189,991 times
Quote:

There are limits to everything, even density, as you illustrated with your Mumbai trip. There's a sweet spot to dense living--the below articles on City Lab (great website for these kind of things) talk about it.

Not All Density Is Created Equal - CityLab

10 Ways to Improve High-Density Cities - CityLab

Density vs. Livability in the World's Biggest Cities - CityLab

LEGO Model of the Day: Urban Density Gone Bad - CityLab

Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,369,345 times
Quote:

Mumbai isn't bad because of density, though, it's bad because it's a third world city.

Dense first-world cities like NYC, Paris, and Barcelona are quite attractive, and their density is an asset.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:58 PM

6,114 posts, read 9,159,838 times
I voted NYC, but Austin, Seattle, and Chicago get a lot of talk on this forum!

Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 PM

1,486 posts, read 292,906 times
NYC obviously.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,648,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I voted NYC, but Austin, Seattle, and Chicago get a lot of talk on this forum!
So does Atlanta. Just on page 1 of city vs. city, Atlanta is listed in thread titles Eight times and this is just on the first page. Whether it's good or bad, Atlanta is always mentioned and the threads are typically made by non-Atlantans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City