Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,040,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Being older does not prove you have more range of architectural styles. It means it's possible to have it - it's not a given.
In a Chicago vs. Philadelphia comparison, it's certainly an advantage for Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,650,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There are dozens of pages of debate on this, and I've noticed the Chicago group is actually a bit "nerdy" in the fact stance

It's all just OPINION anyway. You can state facts, and everyone has done that for Chicago and Philly, but at the end of the day it's all human desire on what they want out of life and where they want to live. What are the "facts" for Philly?
Nice - I like nerdy (Chicago posters generally = ). Facts > opinion, but what I also love about some topics for debate is the fact that some things can never be substantiated by fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The boardwalk is nice but it absolutely has no comparison to the Lake Michigan lakefront.

The cuisine thing is a bit of a stretch to say that it's obvious that Philly food is better known than Chicago food, because you can't substantiate that. In terms of high cuisine, Chicago is generally considered one of the top three cities in the U.S. along with NYC and SF. Chicago also has one restaurant in particular that has been voted several times the best restaurant in the world (Alinea).

And isn't the SEPTA 24/7 subway thing just a pilot program without any guarantee of future funding or sustainable ridership?
Nice, nice, and nice.

Quote:
Being older does not prove you have more range of architectural styles. It means it's possible to have it - it's not a given.
So true. Chicago, from my experience there, has more styles and represents so many so well. But going back to a few other threads and other people's points, it doesn't really "own" any styles like Philly arguably does, or like Boston, Miami Beach, Charleston, New Orleans, or San Francisco do. "Prairie" architecture is pretty common throughout the Midwest, even into Denver, and even down into Florida. The Modernist styles used for skyscrapers is pretty common in Chicago, but with a skyline that large, the relative few examples of that style get drowned out amongst 20+ other styles equally commonly used.

Quote:
The Italian food is good in both cities - I've had better Italian food in Chicago than I've had in Italy itself. I haven't had it in awhile in Philadelphia but I remember the same being true.

Chicago has a lot of good ethnic food too - a lot of tourists have no idea about that.
Chicago is definitely more of an international city, and offers a much wider variety of food, not to mention a more notable fine dining scene. I love some of the Philly staples, though, and I don't care for deep dish.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 PM

7,743 posts, read 5,553,276 times
Quote:
The Italian food is good in both cities - I've had better Italian food in Chicago than I've had in Italy itself. I haven't had it in awhile in Philadelphia but I remember the same being true.

Chicago has a lot of good ethnic food too - a lot of tourists have no idea about that.
Yeah Chicago definitely rules in a lot of categories of food compared to Philadelphia. Philly excels in random ethnic categories such Jamaican, Vietnamese, and Halal Muslim things. I always thought having a Morton's, Palm and Capital Grille in Philly was a plus but I guess these days it is not special to have these since they have franchised themselves out even more. We do have our own home grown steakhouses, one of which ,Barclay Prime, has... you probably guessed it, cheesesteaks lol. $100 for one though.. so count me out.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,013,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
In a Chicago vs. Philadelphia comparison, it's certainly an advantage for Philadelphia.
For older architecture? Yes, that's a big given. Chicago has better modern architecture IMO - and though there's much of it downtown, the average person not from Chicago never sees all the lower scale modern architecture in areas like Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, Wicker Park, etc.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,013,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Chicago is definitely more of an international city, and offers a much wider variety of food, not to mention a more notable fine dining scene. I love some of the Philly staples, though, and I don't care for deep dish.
Agreed - I love Philly Cheesesteak (when done right) and I'm not a fan of deep dish (many, many Chicagoans are not big fans of it. Big myth about the residents of the city is that they love it. Funny enough at my office in Chicago, whenever pizza is ordered it's usually about 5 thin crust pizza to 1 deep dish. The thin crust gets all eaten up, but not many people ever eat the deep dish).

Philly has some good ethnic food, though I think Chicago overall has it better for that. Philly is not a crappy food city, but it's not on the same level as Chicago is.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:10 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,548,086 times
Quote:
Agreed - I love Philly Cheesesteak (when done right) and I'm not a fan of deep dish (many, many Chicagoans are not big fans of it. Big myth about the residents of the city is that they love it. Funny enough at my office in Chicago, whenever pizza is ordered it's usually about 5 thin crust pizza to 1 deep dish. The thin crust gets all eaten up, but not many people ever eat the deep dish).

Philly has some good ethnic food, though I think Chicago overall has it better for that. Philly is not a crappy food city, but it's not on the same level as Chicago is.

You can say it until you're blue in the face, but no one here will ever listen - Chicago has great pizza, in my opinion the best in the country, but "deep dish" is for tourists. I don't know any locals who go on about deep dish pizza or recommend it when you ask for a favorite spot.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,270,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You can say it until you're blue in the face, but no one here will ever listen - Chicago has great pizza, in my opinion the best in the country, but "deep dish" is for tourists. I don't know any locals who go on about deep dish pizza or recommend it when you ask for a favorite spot.
I agree, been here 13 years and Chicago has amazing pizza, but for locals deep dish is an afterthought. I've been in some very heated debates on "where are we ordering from" over the years, although never once has anyone even suggested deep dish.

Had it once about 10 years ago for an office outing downtown, and then when family (tourists) come to visit. It would actually be funny to walk into a deep dish place - do you think there are more than 5% locals?

In a recent sort through takeout pizzas ordered, mostly in neighborhoods around the city, a full 91% of pizza orders were thin crust, with 9% being deep dish or stuffed.

Chicago is definitely a tavern-style square cut thin crust pizza town as opposed to deep dish. At least for locals.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,876,577 times
Quote:
Not so sure about that. Citizen's Bank Park is located in one of the best sports complexes in North America. It's great to have all the teams play in the same area. A lot of cities can't say that.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...2720a24ebcd35d
Are… are you serious? You just showed me a sea of parking spaces, and you think that's better than Wrigleyville?

But if having sports teams play in close proximity to each other marooned in a sea of asphalt trumps a lively neighborhood with a stadium… I don't know what to say.

Quote:
Philly just built a new boardwalk and the city doesn't need a lake when it's not that far from the bay and ocean.

Phila.'s new gem: A stroll on the Schuylkill - Philly.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJquwNMw_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJz1wsF6Z8
I learn something everyday!

Apparently there is not only a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania… but also:

-Philadelphia, New Jersey
-Philadelphia, Delaware

I mean there's only Chicago, Illinois. How can a lakefront, beaches, and water activities actually inside the city and within walking distance possibly compare to driving 30+ minutes to reach Philadelphia, New Jersey or Philadelphia, Delaware?

Quote:
That's true but there's no denying that Philadelphia cuisine is more popular around the country than Chicago cuisine.
I can't deny it, because I don't know. But you know what? If you show me a source/survey/whatever that proves Philadelphia cuisine is more popular around the country than anything Chicago has, I'll believe you.

Quote:
Philly offers 24-hour service on all its subway lines and the PATCO and Trolley Green Lines run 24/7. Philly offers better 24-hour subway service than the Chicago L.
To the airport?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,044,113 times
love both places two of my favorite cities

Chicago is the only city I would consider living in not on the east or west coast and to me that says something

Old 09-30-2014, 03:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,388,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Y- Chicago has great pizza, in my opinion the best in the country, but "deep dish" is for tourists.
Now this is a definite homer statement.

Chicago, on average, is not really a good pizza city. There are plenty of good pizza places, because it's a big and diverse city, with a thriving dining scene, but it isn't a pizza city. There are more good by-the-slice street-corner pizzerias in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst, Brooklyn than in all of Chicago.

Pretty much anywhere within 100 miles of Manhattan will have, on average, vastly better neighborhood pizza than anywhere in Chicago. Even Philly and Boston are much better pizza cities than Chicago.

And deep dish is VERY popular with Chicago locals. There are deep dish pizzerias everywhere, all over Chicagoland, 90% of which are nowhere near tourist locales. Deep Dish pizza is obviously the famous Chicago pizza export. Everything else is an afterthought.

Now, again, you can get very good non deepdish pizza in Chicago, and from a lot of places, because you are talking about a very big metro area. But the average neighborhood pizza ranges from medicore-to-bad, as in most of the rest of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City