Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all I am seeking insightful response about the lifestyles in these Cali cities vs Philly. I want to be in a city with yuppies. I want an apartment on the coast budget is $2300 rent $250 parking $120 utilities. Vegan restaurants plz!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 06:56 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Philly is not on the coast. It's advantages over SF and LA are that it is much cheaper, and also more walkable with better public transit, more history, etc. The skyline definitely beats LA's but not is more or less equal to SF's.

SF has the most yuppies, and like LA is more vegan-friendly than Philly with more natural beauty.

LA has the best weather: usually sunny and an average temperature of 70F, nice beaches, Mediterranean vibe. SF is like 63F and overcast & breezy most days, though the late summer and early fall generally boast warm and sunny weather. If you like 4 seasons, you'll get that in Philadelphia.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:25 PM

474 posts, read 530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Philly is not on the coast. It's advantages over SF and LA are that it is much cheaper, and also more walkable with better public transit, more history, etc. The skyline definitely beats LA's but not is more or less equal to SF's.

SF has the most yuppies, and like LA is more vegan-friendly than Philly with more natural beauty.

LA has the best weather: usually sunny and an average temperature of 70F, nice beaches, Mediterranean vibe. SF is like 63F and overcast & breezy most days, though the late summer and early fall generally boast warm and sunny weather. If you like 4 seasons, you'll get that in Philadelphia.
I'd generally agree that Philadelphia has better, more efficient transit, but walkability seems in favor of SF. I'm much less informed than you, so I have to ask: does Philly have an equivalent to the Union Square/Chinatown pedestrian crowd?

Old 10-12-2014, 10:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post

I'd say the Philly skyline beats SFs, too, due to height. Both are dense, but Philly
has that extra oomph now w the Comcast center.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:01 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
I'd generally agree that Philadelphia has better, more efficient transit, but walkability seems in favor of SF. I'm much less informed than you, so I have to ask: does Philly have an equivalent to the Union Square/Chinatown pedestrian crowd?
Rittenhouse Square Area for sure. Primarily Walnut and Chestnut between Broad and 19th and all streets in between.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:07 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Philadelphia really is a great large urban city, with a superb downtown, great location and not very expensive at all.

Your budget will get you the best of the best in Philadelphia. Meanwhile it won't get you so far in SF and LA.

Seriously though, all three of these cities are really great. You can't really go wrong with either one.

I would apply for jobs in all cities and see what happens! Best of luck!

Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 PM

135 posts, read 179,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I'd say the Philly skyline beats SFs, too, due to height. Both are dense, but Philly
has that extra oomph now w the Comcast center.
Why, in God's great name, would ANYBODY consider a "skyline" as a factor in their choice of cities to live? Seriously - how can you predicate your decision on where to call home based on the collective heights of a cluster of offices you don't work in, live in, or remotely deal with? For that matter, how many people here have actually worked in an office building over 10 stories tall? If anyone did - how much did that enhance your life? I honestly have yet to meet an adult who placed a qualitative value on a "skyline" when evaluating life's choices. Perhaps people here are my very first such encounters.

For the OP - Philly is cheap. It is not "adventurous". The "coast" of Philly is on the banks of a disgusting river that overlooks one of the most crime-ridden cities in North America in neighboring New Jersey. You can get a one-bedroom place in LA or SF on that budget, but it will not be "on the coast". You might encounter "yuppies" in your daily routine, but a secret about young professionals is that they often work 80+ hours a week, and will often socialize with people of a commensurate educational or professional background; you do not become a Yuppie through osmosis.

And you can find a Vegan restaurant anywhere - perhaps the most important aspect of that lifestyle is a mastery of cooking. Water boils fine in all three cities.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
Why, in God's great name, would ANYBODY consider a "skyline" as a factor in their choice of cities to live? Seriously - how can you predicate your decision on where to call home based on the collective heights of a cluster of offices you don't work in, live in, or remotely deal with?
I personally knew someone who moved from Louisville, KY to Chicago downtown (he worked in the burbs) just so he could stand on his deck at night and say to himself "wow", and be in awe of the spectacle laid out before him. He could have lived out in the suburbs close to work, but chose to move to Chicago just to take in the skyline everyday.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Why, in God's great name, would ANYBODY consider a "skyline" as a factor in their choice of cities to live? Seriously - how can you predicate your decision on where to call home based on the collective heights of a cluster of offices you don't work in, live in, or remotely deal with? For that matter, how many people here have actually worked in an office building over 10 stories tall? If anyone did - how much did that enhance your life? I honestly have yet to meet an adult who placed a qualitative value on a "skyline" when evaluating life's choices. Perhaps people here are my very first such encounters.

For the OP - Philly is cheap. It is not "adventurous". The "coast" of Philly is on the banks of a disgusting river that overlooks one of the most crime-ridden cities in North America in neighboring New Jersey. You can get a one-bedroom place in LA or SF on that budget, but it will not be "on the coast". You might encounter "yuppies" in your daily routine, but a secret about young professionals is that they often work 80+ hours a week, and will often socialize with people of a commensurate educational or professional background; you do not become a Yuppie through osmosis.

And you can find a Vegan restaurant anywhere - perhaps the most important aspect of that lifestyle is a mastery of cooking. Water boils fine in all three cities.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dela...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAw

What is this 1875 still? Nah the river is pretty dirty near the city but north of the city and industry areas it is much better lol. I find living in Philly an adventure every day of my life. the Delaware is nice in most parts, don't listen to the guy in Houston. I don't get why people come out of the wood work just to shoot other people's comments down. And for your information I enjoy looking up at night and seeing the city shine in front of me. I am pretty sure everyone does in Philly, NYC, SF, Chicago, LA anywhere with a nice skyline.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-13-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 04:52 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:

Why in God's name would anyone consider mountains, or beaches or apparently "clean" rivers? Skylines are aesthetically pleasing to many people and factor into a decision just like postcard mountains or rivers would. There is a qualitative value on skylines--as evident by just the interest level here. Perhaps you do need to broaden your personal interactions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City