Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:14 AM

254 posts, read 587,866 times

Advertisements

Some nights when I have no plans, I go on my own to explore new cities driving distance from where I live. I know it sounds crazy but I am comfortable walking into bars and clubs not knowing anybody. The only downside is that I have to limit my drink intake as I will be having to drive back at closing time.

Below is what I have experienced so far and this is limited to the New England region as its the only area driving distance from me. I'd love to hear about small towns in other regions. Without further ado..

New Haven (CT) -- Absolutely amazing nightlife. There is so much to offer in the Crown St. stretch, so many bars packed in short distance and always busy. You can find 18+ bars, college-y bars, place for young adults as well as ethnic varieties for blacks and latinos. The only downside is the sketchiness of the area, I've only been twice and one time a stabbing occured and in the second, I witnessed in my own eyes, a ghetto chick jumping out of her car to punch in the mouth an innocent chick passerby on the streets. Geez if chicks were like that, how lethal can their guys be?

Nashua (NH) -- Not that much to offer but clubs have opened that stand out from anything found in a major city. I am talking about Amber Room and its always happening on Saturdays. Walking distance from Main St and there are a couple of good bars there also.

These 2 are the only ones I would find worth it driving the long distance to. Others I've seen were Manchester (NH) and Worcester (MA) and wasn't impressed and would'nt do them again. What remains is Providence (RI), Hartford (CT) and Springfield (MA) but haven't heard good things about them either.

Again would love to hear more regarding these in my area as well as how nightlife is like in other small towns around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 AM

902 posts, read 2,789,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
Some nights when I have no plans, I go on my own to explore new cities driving distance from where I live. I know it sounds crazy but I am comfortable walking into bars and clubs not knowing anybody. The only downside is that I have to limit my drink intake as I will be having to drive back at closing time.

Below is what I have experienced so far and this is limited to the New England region as its the only area driving distance from me. I'd love to hear about small towns in other regions. Without further ado..

New Haven (CT) -- Absolutely amazing nightlife. There is so much to offer in the Crown St. stretch, so many bars packed in short distance and always busy. You can find 18+ bars, college-y bars, place for young adults as well as ethnic varieties for blacks and latinos. The only downside is the sketchiness of the area, I've only been twice and one time a stabbing occured and in the second, I witnessed in my own eyes, a ghetto chick jumping out of her car to punch in the mouth an innocent chick passerby on the streets. Geez if chicks were like that, how lethal can their guys be?

Nashua (NH) -- Not that much to offer but clubs have opened that stand out from anything found in a major city. I am talking about Amber Room and its always happening on Saturdays. Walking distance from Main St and there are a couple of good bars there also.

These 2 are the only ones I would find worth it driving the long distance to. Others I've seen were Manchester (NH) and Worcester (MA) and wasn't impressed and would'nt do them again. What remains is Providence (RI), Hartford (CT) and Springfield (MA) but haven't heard good things about them either.

Again would love to hear more regarding these in my area as well as how nightlife is like in other small towns around the country.
Well since you listed New Haven, which is over 100,000 people and not a small town, but really a small city. Assuming you meant small cities I nominate Berkeley, CA.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM

23,473 posts, read 44,128,490 times
Your best bet is going to be either resort or college towns. In the Southeast, here are some that come to mind:

Athens, GA
St Simons Island, GA
St Augustine, FL
Myrtle Beach, SC
Chapel Hill, NC
Oxford, MS
Tuscaloosa, AL
Charlottesville, VA
Williamsburg, VA
Gainesville, FL

Old 03-06-2010, 02:18 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Your best bet is going to be either resort or college towns. In the Southeast, here are some that come to mind:

Athens, GA
St Simons Island, GA
St Augustine, FL
Myrtle Beach, SC
Chapel Hill, NC
Oxford, MS
Tuscaloosa, AL
Charlottesville, VA
Williamsburg, VA
Gainesville, FL

I agree......In NY, you might like Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, Albany, Nyack, White Plains, Tarrytown, Peekskill, Oswego, Alexandria Bay(especially in the summer), Sackets Harbor, Utica, Troy, Binghamton and Corning, among others.

Others in the Northeast, you might like State College PA, New Brunswick NJ, Atlantic City NJ, Hoboken NJ, Amherst MA, Burlington VT, Portland ME, Harrisburg PA and Erie PA.......Any others?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
A: Most "college towns" with large state universities.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,396,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
A: Most "college towns" with large state universities.
That's correct & why colleges contribute to the economy of small towns. In California there are many smallish cities that have good nightlife: Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Chico, Santa Rosa, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Laguna Beach, Palm Springs, etc. Also my hometown: Pasadena!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,684,051 times
Check
College Towns.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:39 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,684,051 times
In NE though,check Burlington,VT and Portland,ME.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,924,648 times
What about Key West, how is the nightlife there?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,610,118 times
Annapolis, MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City