Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 PM

32 posts, read 130,142 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each of these cities? I currently live in Dallas, which in many ways is a mini-LA. It's very image conscious, pretentious, and full of people trying to be cool. Furthermore, the cities are similar in regards to weather (Dallas is hotter though), large gay populations, and prominence within their regions.

The way Dallas is laid out is also very similar to LA, as is the prominence of upscale shopping, restaurants, and nightlife. What Dallas does lack, however, is a large interwoven multicultural aspect that makes LA a truly global city.

My only concern is the cost of living. In Dallas, you can buy a 5 bedroom, 4 bath, 4,500 square foot new mini-mansion in the suburbs for $800,000. How ever do you afford real estate there?

The good thing is that I'm young (22) and will be armed with a degree in marketing. Do you think it's wise to make such a move? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Dallas is not like Los Angeles. LA is a unique city that very few if any other city can be compared to.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:07 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,659 times
I moved from Dallas three years ago and I have the same observations as yourself.

I find LA to be much more in-line with what I want out of living in a big city. There is considerably more to do here, from nightlife to the beaches to the mountains, etc. The people I find to be nicer. You can find the snobby crowd if you'd like, but overall I do think the people are nicer in LA. And I think that stems a lot from the more multicultural mix of the city.

You are correct, Dallas is very homogeneous. Certainly there are all races there, but they tend to be much more segregated in everyday life. You still have a lot of segregation in LA, but in everyday life it seems people are much more mixed up.

My dating life is a perfect example. In Dallas I typically only met white, American women. In LA, without doing anything other than living my normal life, I have dated French, Russian, German, Chinese, Japanese, and Hispanic women. That never would have happened in Dallas. You'll find the same wherever you go. You'll meet people from all over. And as a result there is much more culture here.

Certainly traffic blows and the cost of housing is absurd, but if you can get over those things then I think you'll find LA to be a fantastic place to live. I don't even like visiting Dallas anymore. I grew up there. And compared to LA it's boring as can be.

But as far as weather goes, Dallas and LA are totally different. It rarely rains out here. I have actually met people that have never heard a thunderstorm. I haven't heard a single one in the three years I've been here. Weather in LA is either nice or mostly nice. Even a bad weather day is nice. People complain when it's cloudy.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:06 PM

Well, I don't want to necessarily want to live paycheck to paycheck, and eventually want to be affluent. The only issue is that being affluent in LA is completely different than being affluent in any other parts of the country.

Is it easy to make good money in LA?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:05 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
Well, I don't want to necessarily want to live paycheck to paycheck, and eventually want to be affluent. The only issue is that being affluent in LA is completely different than being affluent in any other parts of the country.

Is it easy to make good money in LA?

People in LA don't make much more than those in Dallas. When I was looking for a job out here most of the offers I got were for what I was making in Dallas. I couldn't live on that income out here. Luckily I found a better paying gig.

What you'll find is that most people have roommates, live in smaller places, and honestly are just up to their necks in debt to support the "LA" lifestyle.

If you figure you'll spend $1,000+ a month in rent for a crappy place compared to Dallas standards (many places don't include refrigerators, don't have air conditioning because you don't need it, don't have washers and dryers in the apartments, and are mostly old, poorly maintained, square stucco buildings, and you might get a parking spot), you'll spend gobs of time stuck in traffic (with the resulting gasoline bill to go with it), and everything else is more expensive as well ($5-$8 beers, plus tip, most everywhere, for example), and you'll find that whatever you're making in Dallas won't go far at all.

I would say as a single person, if you're not making at least $40,000 to $50,000 a year, and living with a roomate, you won't have very much fun out here because you won't be able to afford to do much.

A lot of people will disagree with me and tell you that you can live on $10,000 a year and be perfectly happy, which is true if you never do anything that costs money. But, for example, a night out at the bars with your buddies can easily cost you $50-$100 per person, and that's just alcohol. A date? $50-$100. And that's just dinner and drinks at no place nice. Cheap seats at Dodger stadium with a few drinks and food, with parking, gas to get there, etc., $50 per person.

Yeah, you can do things more cheaply, but just be realistic about what things cost if you plan on entertaining yourself much.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Screw that! I'm staying in Dallas and getting a 5/6 LA experience without having to live like a pauper!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:56 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Ive never been to Dallas and from what I've heard, Dallas is NOT like LA. The closest thing you guys in TX have to LA is Austin.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 83,618 times
L.A. is expensive and the air is horrible. I lived in Orange County and my god, it's ridiculous how much homes are. I've known many people that have moved to Texas for a calmer and less stressful life. However, depends on your priorities. THey wanted
a to be able to own a nice home without spending an arm and a leg.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
People in LA don't make much more than those in Dallas. When I was looking for a job out here most of the offers I got were for what I was making in Dallas. I couldn't live on that income out here. Luckily I found a better paying gig.

What you'll find is that most people have roommates, live in smaller places, and honestly are just up to their necks in debt to support the "LA" lifestyle.

If you figure you'll spend $1,000+ a month in rent for a crappy place compared to Dallas standards (many places don't include refrigerators, don't have air conditioning because you don't need it, don't have washers and dryers in the apartments, and are mostly old, poorly maintained, square stucco buildings, and you might get a parking spot), you'll spend gobs of time stuck in traffic (with the resulting gasoline bill to go with it), and everything else is more expensive as well ($5-$8 beers, plus tip, most everywhere, for example), and you'll find that whatever you're making in Dallas won't go far at all.

I would say as a single person, if you're not making at least $40,000 to $50,000 a year, and living with a roomate, you won't have very much fun out here because you won't be able to afford to do much.

A lot of people will disagree with me and tell you that you can live on $10,000 a year and be perfectly happy, which is true if you never do anything that costs money. But, for example, a night out at the bars with your buddies can easily cost you $50-$100 per person, and that's just alcohol. A date? $50-$100. And that's just dinner and drinks at no place nice. Cheap seats at Dodger stadium with a few drinks and food, with parking, gas to get there, etc., $50 per person.

Yeah, you can do things more cheaply, but just be realistic about what things cost if you plan on entertaining yourself much.
And those numbers apply for a single person, renting, compromising on location (perhaps allowing a better commute though). Wait until you get married and have kids and need to worry about schools and neighborhoods and peers. The costs are exponential. Add to that the reality that many (not all) of the family acceptable neighborhoods may force someone into a hellish commute.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Ive never been to Dallas and from what I've heard, Dallas is NOT like LA. The closest thing you guys in TX have to LA is Austin.
Austin sucks try Houston or San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City