Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times

Advertisements

Dear God are they still talking about the Hamptons and it's party/nightlife scene?
Bahhahaha...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:44 PM

9 posts, read 9,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is another one of the vicariously living through others posts.

You people have yet to really say anything to refute the facts. I didnt first compare the Hamptons to Hawaii but such a comparison is quite laughable and ridiculous.The Hamptons are tiny, boring and really dead compared to Honolulu.

And East Coast people can be surprisingly ignorant about the world beyond New York's shadow.

Larry Ellison fairly recently spent $300 Million on a single land purchase in Hawaii.
Tour Of Lanai, Larry Ellison's Hawaiian Island - Business Insider

Mark Zuckerberg recently spent $100 Million just to buy land in Hawaii.
Mark Zuckerberg Drops $100 Million on Hawaiian Property

Oprah Winfrey just can seem to help herself in Hawaii.
Oprah’s Ever-Increasing Hawaiian Holdings | Variety

And so forth.

So spare us the elitist bs because the West Coast is not impressed by your retirement village by the sea. lol
So he bought a town for only $300mm? Is that supposed to be expensive? Lol. There are sales like that all the time but they don't count as residential sales. 97% stake in a town is considered commercial... just like the Royal family of Qatar spending $5 billion to acquire Manhattan's Plaza Hotel didn't count as a residential sale either, silly.

Can you imagine what it would cost someone to buy the entire Sagaponack or another hamlet in Southampton? Trillions.

And Mark (allegedly) bought SEVEN HUNDRED acres for only $100mm? Someone spent $103 million to buy 15 acres in the Hamptons... in 2007.

Hamptons, ocean view: Sold for a record $103 million - USATODAY.com

I shudder to think what the value of that parcel is now. I never knew what a value Hawaiian luxury real estate was, but thanks for letting me know. Interesting.

It doesn't take an East Coaster to see that the Hamptons are simply an extension of the global capital of wealth and numero uno for gulfstream jets carrying the worlds gliteratti - NYC. Why wouldn't homes sell for $147mm? People don't bat eye lashes at such prices in New York and London because the world's axis clearly revolves around either. It is what it is.

Last edited by Louis Dauphin of France; 12-28-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 08:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Dauphin of France View Post
S
It doesn't take an East Coaster to see that the Hamptons are simply an extension of the global capital of wealth and desirability - NYC. Why wouldn't homes sell for $147mm? People don't bat eye lashes at such prices in New York and London because the world's axis clearly revolves around either. It is what it is.
Basically, yes. Pretty much 100% accurate.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 PM

And next years list will clearly look the same. The $100mm penthouse contracts in NYC's One57 haven't even closed yet and there are many other high profile buildings that will be completed next year, some having penthouses that are over $130mm.

Maybe the fabulous Hamptons will see a $200mm sale next year.. I wonder!

Last edited by Louis Dauphin of France; 12-28-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 09:15 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Dauphin of France View Post
So he bought a town for only $300mm? Is that supposed to be expensive? Lol. There are sales like that all the time but they don't count as residential sales. 97% stake in a town is considered commercial... just like the Royal family of Qatar spending $5 billion to acquire Manhattan's Plaza Hotel didn't count as a residential sale either, silly.

Can you imagine what it would cost someone to buy the entire Sagaponack or another hamlet in Southampton? Trillions.

And Mark (allegedly) bought SEVEN HUNDRED acres for only $100mm? Someone spent $103 million to buy 15 acres in the Hamptons... in 2007.

Hamptons, ocean view: Sold for a record $103 million - USATODAY.com

I shudder to think what the value of that parcel is now. I never knew what a value Hawaiian luxury real estate was, but thanks for letting me know. Interesting.

It doesn't take an East Coaster to see that the Hamptons are simply an extension of the global capital of wealth and numero uno for gulfstream jets carrying the worlds gliteratti - NYC. Why wouldn't homes sell for $147mm? People don't bat eye lashes at such prices in New York and London because the world's axis clearly revolves around either. It is what it is.
Haha no, actually the total value of residential real estate of the New York Metro Area(MSA) which includes the Hamptons, is worth $2.1 Trillion, SECOND to Los Angeles, which has like 6 million less people.
Quote:
Three U.S. cities were valued at
more than $1 trillion. The highest
valued U.S. metro was Los Angeles,
with a cumulative home-value of
$2.3 trillion. New York was close
behind at $2.1 trillion, followed by
San Francisco, at $1.07 trillion.
Total Value of All US Homes Is $27.5 Trillion | Zillow Blog

So yeah...

Old 12-28-2014, 09:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
^ Zillow has pretty inaccurate numbers as far as listing what a home is worth. Not sure how they collect data but it is known to be inaccurate, do you have a better source?

Not sure why some are laughing at the Hamptons still being discussed when those same people have shown they have never been and know absolutely nothing about the area. Perhaps you should stop running your mouths acting like you know a place when everyone else knows you sound like fools? Then maybe those defending the area would stop talking about it when you admit it IS a huge summer party scene for the ultra-rich and many celebrities, with extremely expensive real estate, yes a good nightlife scene and yes frequent helicoptor rides to and from Manhattan. All facts, like it or not, believe it or not, that's not my problem, but don't write the Hamptons off while laughing like fools.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Yeah, then inform your people: dont walk off
a plank into a lake of fire by comparing the
little hamptons to a place that has
numerous five-star hotels, world class er
everything and unquestionably more things
to see and do, such as is the case with
Hawaii.

I mean really, how idiotic.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 12-28-2014 at 10:26 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 PM

We all know why you pounced on this list with such hostility. Get over it lol. Why else would the little old Hamptons get you so worked up?

Who on earth would be surprised by this list? No one. Move along, nothing here to see. The capital of the word being the world's magnet for luxury real estate, amongst other things. Quelle surprise.

Shock!!!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
I think 18Monclair is just angry that no Bay Area sales are on the list. That's pretty much it.

He shouldn't sweat it, because I'm sure there are tons of very high-end Bay Area sales. It may even be #3 in the U.S.

But you aren't going to have the same extreme high-end volume as NYC or LA, because there are fewer super-rich buyers in the Bay Area, esp. for second homes.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:19 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, then inform your people: dont walk off a plank into a lake of fire by comparing the little hamptons to a place that has numerous five-star hotels, world class er everything and unquestionably more things to see and do, such as is the case with Hawaii.

I mean really, how idiotic.
It's hard to make comparisons when you keep moving the goal posts. Even without that, it is hard enough comparing for the mere fact that there are so many variables.

Are you comparing where people would rather live? Vacation? Buy vacation homes? Are you comparing The Hamptons to all of Hawaii or just one island? If you are comparing to all of Hawaii, don't you have to include NYC in the comparison? Then, there is a big difference between comparing to O'ahu vs comparing to Kaua'i.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. All I was saying is that for me, there is just not enough going on in Hawaii to keep me occupied day in and day out. And there are thousands of miles of ocean to traverse to get anywhere else. I would hate living there long term, and it is too much of a hassle to get there in order for me to ever want to buy a vacation home there. I would probably only use it for 2 weeks a year vs 12 weeks in The Hamptons.

If you were to ask me where I wanted to go for two weeks in February, I will pick Hawaii over The Hamptons. No contest. But I will stay in one of those great hotels you keep talking about.

They both have their positives and negatives, but this thread is about home prices, and clearly there is a better market for vacation homes in The Hamptons than there is in Hawaii, if for no other reason than convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City