Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better?
Toronto, ON 37 63.79%
Miami, FL 21 36.21%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:57 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I've never been to Miami so I was really just striking a commonality between the two that maybe many aren't aware of. I'm more than aware there's more to cities than skylines

I'm just saying that Toronto and Miami are probably the two biggest examples in Canada and the U.S where their skyline is literally being transformed by massive condo growth..
I suppose.

[Lets head fall flat on to the table in utter confusion why Internet people obsess over skylines and their commonalities]

Well, these two cities have almost nothing in common. That is a plus, there are no repeating aspects about them for the most part, I somehow have managed to like both quite a lot. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 09:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

[Lets head fall flat on to the table in utter confusion why Internet people obsess over skylines and their commonalities]

Sheesh man - its not a big deal... If I said in my post Miami and Toronto ROCK because they are tranforming their skylines more than any other cities in Canada/The U.S and that's all that matters I can see why you'd have this reaction.. I was just making an observation that some may not have taken into account. If you have more to add re: what you think is unique, good or bad about each city just make the comment without the sharp laced tongue - especially towards someone that was making for innocent conversation... People need to seriously chill..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:20 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I think Toronto is a better city. But I'm going with Miami simply because I couldn't handle Toronto's long, frigid winters.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,650 times
I think skylines are cool to look at from a distance but there is much more to a city than it's skyline. I've been to cities around the world that are littered with nothing but buildings but I found them very bland and boring. And this is just my opinion, but I also find a better interaction between people and consequently a better neighborhood "feel" in areas with tightly packed housing and/or mid/low rise buildings as opposed to tall condos, which feel much more impersonal. That being said, Toronto and Miami are examples of cities driven by condo growth and skylines (Toronto being a bigger city of the two) but there is also much more to each of the respective cities that make them interesting.

To answer the OP, I'd pick Toronto over Miami (although the ice cold weather today in Toronto is making me hesitate ). I like the more well rounded nature of industries that come along from being business capital in Canada, the better public transportation systems, and I'm personally not a big beach person so I prefer the cultural outlets and city vibe more of places like Toronto, Boston, SF, Chicago, DC, etc. That being said, I've never had anything short of a blast on every trip to Miami (for work or pleasure).

Old 01-07-2015, 08:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I think Toronto is a better city. But I'm going with Miami simply because I couldn't handle Toronto's long, frigid winters.
This is really a fair comment.. Not everyone could handle the colder winters.. I don`t find 4 months is too long though.. Long is relative I guess but the only months that I would consider really unpleasant would be Dec-Mar... Plus i find the U.S Northeast has really been giving T.O a run for its money in terms of getting a fair amount of snow and wintery wx including poor lìl Philly (Some of y`all act as if you live in places with no snow)..hmmm which Philly do you live in - the one in Mississippi

https://www.google.ca/search?q=snow+...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Seriously though, I work at the airport in Toronto and I`ve lost track of the times we`ve had to post winter weather delays and cancellations and that`s for weather in downline U.S Eastern Seaboard cities like NYC, Boston, D.C and even Philly whereas T.O is green and operations at 100%..

Last edited by fusion2; 01-07-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
^^Oh I'm not suggesting that our weather is THAT much better than T.O. Believe me I hate the winter here and in the rest of the Northern states. And I also think Toronto is a WAY better city than Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City