Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The cool-off from an oil price drop would be just that, a cool off; Houston's economy will still remain quite robust and active, just less so than when oil prices were high. Houston's dependency on oil has decreased to a point that other sectors have larger roles in driving Houston's economy than they did previously.

If escaping "crazy-cold" winters is all the OP wants weather-wise, then Houston would be a far better option climate wise than Atlanta; Atlanta still gets frequent winter weather events, while such weather is a matter of generations in Houston. Also, Houston may not have mountains or hilly topography, but it does have the lush, exotic, subtropical evergreen Gulf Coastal landscape, quite attractive to many, and actually has beaches and other such coastal scenery (which are not full of oil residue).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyIsTheLimt View Post
About the cool off point, ExxonMobil, Shell Oil, Chevron, National Oil Varco, Baker Hughes, BP America and Anadarko are among the top 15 employers in the Houston metro area.. When 7 out of the 15 biggest employers in the area are cooling off and are going through budget cuts and hiring freezes if not lay offs, think about the impact it would have on the economy of the metro area for the coming years. I can already feel the palpable fear when I talk to my friend working in the IT department of one of these Energy companies..

Atlanta gets cold during some days of the year but that's mostly limited to a few weeks of cold spells otherwise most of the time the weather is bearable compared to Houston. I had to travel several times to Houston in one of my previous gigs and the humidity there is unbearable and 6 months in an year the weather really sucks.

Also once you are in Houston you are stuck in the middle of nowhere transportation wise unless you are willing to fly..Atlanta on the other side is within driving distance to Florida, several parts of the midwest and the east coast..
Chile, that poster does nothing more than make Houston sound like Eutopia. Houston was "hitting on all cylinders" for the past several years, while the rest of the top 10 metros (sans Dallas) were reeling because energy was staying strong. I said two years ago that Houston was going to drop off when everyone else starting roaring back. Then in came Niarobi and the other posters twirling and finger snapping in a Z formation telling saying that energy will evolve and stay strong for forever.

Now I for one am not here for watching folks losing houses, cars, and stuff, but Houston is on the finge of a bust. And it's not because the economy is THAT far gone... it's because folks over there went investing too much in a temporary period of strong growth. And Houston's economy ISNT that diversified, so I don't understand why folks went flocking there for the growth in ONE dominant sector.

Them cutbacks and layoffs ain't no joke. I would have had a lease with a option to break that lease in a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 11:24 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
So how do you think it will play out, will Houston collapse and be the next Detroit?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Chile, that poster does nothing more than make Houston sound like Eutopia. Houston was "hitting on all cylinders" for the past several years, while the rest of the top 10 metros (sans Dallas) were reeling because energy was staying strong. I said two years ago that Houston was going to drop off when everyone else starting roaring back. Then in came Niarobi and the other posters twirling and finger snapping in a Z formation telling saying that energy will evolve and stay strong for forever.

Now I for one am not here for watching folks losing houses, cars, and stuff, but Houston is on the finge of a bust. And it's not because the economy is THAT far gone... it's because folks over there went investing too much in a temporary period of strong growth. And Houston's economy ISNT that diversified, so I don't understand why folks went flocking there for the growth in ONE dominant sector.

Them cutbacks and layoffs ain't no joke. I would have had a lease with a option to break that lease in a minute.
Boy, bye!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
So how do you think it will play out, will Houston collapse and be the next Detroit?
Not at all....people love to use Detroit...for everything...it's not that bad...it will just be nowhere near as juiced as it was the last 2-3 years.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:46 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Everyone telling me how Houston was going the way of Detroit. I just wanted to see what you all opinion on the whole oil bust. But your right Ant131531, I see Houston taking a hit, but nothing that could derail it's economy.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 49,505 times
Houston will take a hit, but it will be nothing like it was in the 1980's because the city isn't quite as reliant on the O&G sector now as it was back then, though it makes up a substantial part of the economy.

Sugarland is a nice suburb, but Alpharetta is too. Atlanta isn't exactly the economic powerhouse that it once was and the area as a whole was on a decline while Houston was booming, but you still have a lot of people who move to ATL thinking it is the land of milk and honey because they watch Love & Hip Hop or Real Housewives and think that's reality.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
The haters wants Houston to become the next Detroit.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrankly View Post
Houston will take a hit, but it will be nothing like it was in the 1980's because the city isn't quite as reliant on the O&G sector now as it was back then, though it makes up a substantial part of the economy.

Sugarland is a nice suburb, but Alpharetta is too. Atlanta isn't exactly the economic powerhouse that it once was and the area as a whole was on a decline while Houston was booming, but you still have a lot of people who move to ATL thinking it is the land of milk and honey because they watch Love & Hip Hop or Real Housewives and think that's reality.
Atlanta isn't on a decline...it's attracting a lot of large businesses again and economic forecasts are great for the area. It took a hit that was a little longer than most metros around the country, but it will come back very strong over the next 2-3 years.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:15 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta isn't on a decline...it's attracting a lot of large businesses again and economic forecasts are great for the area. It took a hit that was a little longer than most metros around the country, but it will come back very strong over the next 2-3 years.
I don't know why you think Houston is not going to be as "juiced" in the next 2-3 years. You're hoping it's not, and it shows.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I don't know why you think Houston is not going to be as "juiced" in the next 2-3 years. You're hoping it's not, and it shows.
Or I'm being objective. Look at all of the layoffs already in Houston. No one in their right mind thinks Houston will be at what it was over the last 2-3 years. You clearly do not understand Economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City